Last rinse with cold water???

mayoo

Well, I read (somewhere) that if you rinse your hair with cold water, it closes the cuticle and stops the minerals etc that you have just put into your hair while DCing/CWing from escaping but....

I've been doing this from my last few co-washes but then it feels like my leave-in is just sitting on top of my hair, doing nothing. Plus, my hair feels harder and drier than usual :sad:

Soooo :spinning: today I went back into my normal routine of DCing and rinsing with warm water then applying my leave-in. And my hair loved it, it's absorbing my leave-in a lot better and it feels soft and managable. :grin:

Maybe we have hard water? (UK)

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or had a different experience???

Thanks in advance.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
My hair loves cool rinses, but I think it's because I have high porosity hair. Closing the cuticles is helpful for this type of hair.

I'd think for someone with normal to low porosity this would cause the kind of trouble you ran into. Tightening the cuticles on already low porosity hair would make product absorption even more difficult.

ChocolatePie777

First ofvall use cool water(which is refreshing)....and not cold water

I dont know if it actually does anything but i like how it feels on my scalp.........but i also have no problem with just using watm or luke warm water either

Philippians413

I have high porosity hair and tried cold water rinsing to close the cuticle, but I ended up with hard hair like you. Instead, I do an ACV rinse as my final step. My hair likes that much better.

Bajanmum

First ofvall use cool water(which is refreshing)....and not cold water

I dont know if it actually does anything but i like how it feels on my scalp.........but i also have no problem with just using watm or luke warm water either

I have high porosity hair and tried cold water rinsing to close the cuticle, but I ended up with hard hair like you. Instead, I do an ACV rinse as my final step. My hair likes that much better.

Yes at the bolded.

Cold water makes my hair shrink right up to my scalp, so I either use lukewarm water or Apple cider vinegar. That might be better for you.

KittyMeowMeow

I rinse first in warm, then braid my hair under a final cool rinse. The warm water removes whatever you have in your hair, so do that first.

I've gotten better results doing a slightly longer rinse (10 secs +) in bearably cool water than a quick shot under freezing cold water.

It's one of those things that works for some, and does nothing for others. I've tried it so many times both ways that I know it works- it makes my hair shiny, more moisturized feeling, and less frizzy. It's been a staple for me for over 2 years.

constance

My hair loves cool rinses, but I think it's because I have high porosity hair. Closing the cuticles is helpful for this type of hair.

I'd think for someone with normal to low porosity this would cause the kind of trouble you ran into. Tightening the cuticles on already low porosity hair would make product absorption even more difficult.

This is me. I have low porosity hair so I skip the cool rinse altogether. I also keep the bathroom as humid as possible after rinsing out my dc and applying my oil(s).

DominicanBrazilian82

Well, I read (somewhere) that if you rinse your hair with cold water, it closes the cuticle and stops the minerals etc that you have just put into your hair while DCing/CWing from escaping but....

I've been doing this from my last few co-washes but then it feels like my leave-in is just sitting on top of my hair, doing nothing. Plus, my hair feels harder and drier than usual :sad:

Soooo :spinning: today I went back into my normal routine of DCing and rinsing with warm water then applying my leave-in. And my hair loved it, it's absorbing my leave-in a lot better and it feels soft and managable. :grin:

Maybe we have hard water? (UK)

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or had a different experience???

Thanks in advance.

I do a final rinse with warm water and then make the water cool and do a 3-4 second rinse with the cool. I used to try to rinse out the conditioner with cold water... :nono: I must do it with warm first and then just a burst of cool.

Nonie

Cold water DOES NOT close cuticles. That's a myth. The only thing that closes hair cuticles if they are open is a low pH of whatever you're using on your hair. So an ACV rinse is one way to close cuticles.

Some people like cold water rinses coz as someone said it feels good to her, but I also think the other thing that makes people think cold water is closing their cuticles is that it doesn't rinse off conditioner as well as warm water, so they have some of the product still left in their hair and the coating leads them to think their cuticles have been laid flat.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Idk Nonie. I rinse product out with warm water first. Then with cool water after it's all gone. For whatever reason my hair loves it. Makes it shinier and smoother feeling.

I think Ppl make it akin to cool water on skin closes pores, ergo does similar to hair?

There's gotta be science on this somewhere...

youwillrise

nope...cold water doesnt work for me....hard hair all day. i like to use mostly warm water with a slight coolness.

i even use warmer water in my spray bottle

D.Lisha

Back when I was adamant about using cold water to close my cuticles I would always end up with hard hair, even after a full overnight DC.

Now I mainly use warm water to rinse out my DC's along with sprinkles of cooler water......but in all honesty NOTHING gives me that Buttery feeling of a good DC rinse like warm water does, which is why I tend to lean more towards it than the cooler water.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
My hair feels dry and wiry when I do my final rinse with cold water.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I never saw a difference with my hair and it left me feeling cold so i stopped doing this.

southerncitygirl

never done it and my hurr is fine.

i've heard that it makes the hair tangled and interferes with styling products working cause the cuticle is closed.

Nonie

never done it and my hurr is fine.

i've heard that it makes the hair tangled and interferes with styling products working cause the cuticle is closed.

southerncitygirl :spank: you're not paying attention in class. Cold water does not close cuticles so the point that cold water interfers with styling products because the cuticle is closed is not only wrong but it doesn't apply in this case.

Styling products are supposed to be used on hair that is in good condition. Hair is in good condition if its cuticles are closed so closed cuticles do not interfere with styling products. If anything, they should make them work better because strands are smooth and will therefore be easy to comb and style and bling just right, bringing out the best in the products.

If you're talmbout moisturizers, leave-in conditioners, then they too would not be affected in their purpose because cuticles are closed. When cuticles are closed, it's not like they are glued shut. Products can still penetrate them. That's the idea behind moisturizers: they are supposed to penetrate strands and not only when the cuticle is open. And this is why a lot of people find they need to seal their hair afterward--and it's not because these people all have porous hair.

The only product I can think of now that must have cuticles open for it to work properly is a relaxer. It would not work if the cuticles were not raised. That's why it has a high pH (not temperature because temperature change doesn't open/close cuticles) and then after you open the cuticles and break the bonds in the hair, you use a low pH product (Neutralizer) so you can close the previously opened cuticles (not cold water coz that would not cut it).