Roux PC vs ACV Rinse vs Cold Water Rinsing

Nonie

Interesting thread...Nonie why do you avoid baking soda? (sorry if you've answered this before)TIA.

Well, besides the fact that I know alkaline products raise hair cuticles and lead to tangles, when I was still new on the forum (about a year old), I read that adding baking soda to shampoo could make the shampoo a clarifier. Not sure why I wanted to clarify my hair but I tried it. Mind you, I do not use products (as in leave-ins) so really my hair did not need clarifying.

When I applied the baking soda/shampoo mixture to my hair, the bathroom was filled with that smell you get when you relax your hair. I panicked. I did NOT want to relax my hair but I couldn't mistake that smell for anything. Immediately I rinsed my hair trying not to cry coz I thought I'd damaged my hair. OMG, talk of hard-as-a-brush, dull-looking steel wool hair after I rinsed. I had to shampoo several times with a moisturizing shampoo and use samples of conditioner I had from L'anza to get my hair back to normal. I think that might also have been the first time I used an ACV rinse and was able to see how well it worked for me.

Then there was the rave of using baking soda on skin. OMG, another awful experience. My skin felt raw and didn't look smooth like folks said it would. It looked like chicken skin or somep'n, IIRC.

Nah, I'm not a fan of alkaline products on my skin or hair.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Well, besides the fact that I know alkaline products raise hair cuticles and lead to tangles, when I was still new on the forum (about a year old), I read that adding baking soda to shampoo could make the shampoo a clarifier. Not sure why I wanted to clarify my hair but I tried it. Mind you, I do not use products (as in leave-ins) so really my hair did not need clarifying.

When I applied the baking soda/shampoo mixture to my hair, the bathroom was filled with that smell you get when you relax your hair. I panicked. I did NOT want to relax my hair but I couldn't mistake that smell for anything. Immediately I rinsed my hair trying not to cry coz I thought I'd damaged my hair. OMG, talk of hard-as-a-brush, dull-looking steel wool hair after I rinsed. I had to shampoo several times with a moisturizing shampoo and use samples of conditioner I had from L'anza to get my hair back to normal. I think that might also have been the first time I used an ACV rinse and was able to see how well it worked for me.

Then there was the rave of using baking soda on skin. OMG, another awful experience. My skin felt raw and didn't look smooth like folks said it would. It looked like chicken skin or somep'n, IIRC.

Nah, I'm not a fan of alkaline products on my skin or hair.
Would using Roux PC and ACV be too much in one wash setting?

Nonie

Would using Roux PC and ACV be too much in one wash setting?

I have no idea. Never used Roux PC so I'm not comfy giving any info on it. I usually talk about things I've tried. I think there's a thread somewhere about using both, and I can't remember what people said. If I find it, I'll post it.

My suggestion would be to read up more about Roux PC and what it does and then use your logic. From the link I gave you, it seems to me that it alone would suffice since it has a pH adjuster (which would do what ACV would) as well as humectants which draw moisture into themselves and hence the hair. If you must use ACV I'd go as dilute as possible--and it may just be that you will have to try it out to see if you prefer to follow up with it or not. You may find it doesn't make a difference in which case it's not worth the extra step. Or you may find you don't like it and therefore know not to bother. Or you may find it makes a big positive difference. Just remember that too much of anything isn't good and err on the side of caution.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have no idea. Never used Roux PC so I'm not comfy giving any info on it. I usually talk about things I've tried. I think there's a thread somewhere about using both, and I can't remember what people said. If I find it, I'll post it.

My suggestion would be to read up more about Roux PC and what it does and then use your logic. From the link I gave you, it seems to me that it alone would suffice since it has a pH adjuster (which would do what ACV would) as well as humectants which draw moisture into themselves and hence the hair. If you must use ACV I'd go as dilute as possible--and it may just be that you will have to try it out to see if you prefer to follow up with it or not. You may find it doesn't make a difference in which case it's not worth the extra step. Or you may find you don't like it and therefore know not to bother. Or you may find it makes a big positive difference. Just remember that too much of anything isn't good and err on the side of caution.
Thank you Nonie -- Prior to this thread, Roux did nothing for my hair as a final rinse . After reading the link you provided earlier, I revised my regi to include Roux PC within my DC and a final rinse of ACV....my results were awesome but I now realize I revised my regi too much because I don't know what revision made my hair feel delicious. Over the next few weeks I'll try different combinations to uncover which method - Roux or ACV - my hair likes best.

PrincessLinzz

Final cold water rinses do close the cuticle. I use Roux and the cold water rinse and when I add product my ends feel smoother and silkier!!

omegachick31

I have not seen any scientific evidence of cuticle closing from being washed with cold water.
Sounds like a good class project

I went to boarding school and for years washed my hair with cold water. I never had soft/smooth hair from that.
I'm not sure how boarding school played into this but perhaps the water was restricted by the headmaster from altering cuticle positioning without explicit permission

So until someone shows me some scientific proof that cold water closes cuticles I will not believe it does, just like I do not believe cold water closes pores on the skin. The most cold water does to skin is make blood vessels pull away from the skin.
Okay.....

If cold water was the cuticle closer you all make it out to be, my hair should be the most tangled because I never use it.
If everyone's hair reacted the exact same to everything there would be no reason for this forum....Someone could just create a prototype list and everyone could just follow it and for the most part have the same results across the board. Fortunately the world is made of different constructs of being and therefore what works for some doesn't work for others

ETA: And if temperature played a role in opening and closing of cuticles, then it would be a very essential part in relaxing hair. As we all know it is pH and not temperature that is called to play when hair is relaxed. Need I say more?
Yes....pH and temperture are both considered property shifters...but they are mutually exclusive...you don't need a pH change for temperture to affect something nor do you need temperture change for pH to effect something...so I don't get your point on how this may prove temperture doesn't change cuticle position...so yes you need to say more...also I've never known for someone to put in a relaxer and rinse it out with cold water so can it be possible that the temperture of the hot/warm water that is usually used may add to the process....hmmmm

This rumor about cold water closing pores seemed to have started the same way as the rumor that face exercises cause wrinkles did. Someone just THOUGHT it made sense and suddenly it became the "gospel". And like a placebo pill, because you buy into it, you believe it without considering other factors like how rinsing a greasy plate with cold water might not leave it as "clean" as rinsing it with hot water.
Huh?.....okay it seems this topic may have affected you and not in the positive....no one is telling you to drink the Kool-Aid (which would probably be better cold)...if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you...but its not akin to being hoodwinked by "them" whoever they may be...it is not a conspiracy...if you rinse your hair with cold water and it seems smoother....well good....if you don't and it is smooth...well good

I don't like when people hide behind science as the be all end all to a subject....science as a whole is primarly made up of revolving theories that can be deconstructed by the end of the day by some new finding. I have a BS in Biology and a MS in Biomedical Science and I still trust what I experience daily as my truth before I let the science of something dictate my actuality. Don't get me wrong research and science are essential entities and I respect them but I don't allow myself to be placed in a realm of disbelief because the science behind it is ambiguous...to me the real placebo pill has been taken by those who have been taken by needing scientific proof for anything to be veridical

Last edited:

davisbr88

KnaughtyKurls - thanks for mentioning the Kimmaytube video. It took me a while to find it, so for anyone who is interested, she uses 1/4 tsp of ACV per 1/2 cup of water to get a pH reading of 4.0. I think I'd feel more comfortable with it being a little less acidic, so maybe instead of 1/2 tsp per cup, I will end up using the 1/3 tsp per cup that I stated originally (similar to what Nonie uses) and just stick with that. No more, no less. I definitely appreciate all of the info in this thread. I hope someone else gets helped as much as I did.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I've never had much luck with ACV rinsing or cold water rinses tbh. I've found that applying Roux PC directly after a steam works wonders for my moisture retention though.

This definitely gives me something else to consider trying.

Tene

I use acv rinses, I don't believe cod water closes your cuticles either. I've never noticed a difference when using cold water, but I notice a diference when using acv rinses.

BonBon

I used a too acidic solution on my hair with AVC once and it wrecked my hair for months so I just don't try it again out of fear LOL. However I did try PC to get my hair back to normal and it was a resounding success.

I use it twice though. Shampoo, PC, rinse cold, DC overnight, rinse warm, PC, rinse cold. I will probably stop using it twice now its better, but my hair is very soft again :)

Nonie

Interesting AOL article, but I still don't believe the cold water closing cuticles theorty. It doesn't work for me so it can't be true. :giggle: Also when they say that wrinkles are less noticeable when you hydrate, what they forget to mention is that later on, when that water in the product evaporates, your skin is left more wrinkled than ever, demanding more of the product. :)scratchch Maybe that's how they stay in business....) I know this is the wrong forum for skin talk but I honestly don't believe water should be left on the skin for a long period of time. Since I stopped using water-based moisturizers and turned to oil or aloe-based, my skin has become so much better. I also don't believe in the shocking the skin theory. I think any temperature extremes on the skin are not good for it.

GreenEyedJen

I haven't read all of the information in this post, but I DO want to say that my brother (a chemical engineer) doesn't seem to believe that a cold water rinse helps to close cuticles. Water has a pH of 7 (which is neutral) and that doesn't change with temperature. Cuticles are affected by pH changes.

I will say from my own experience that cold water does help the feel of my hair, but I don't think it has anything to do with the cuticles.

I'm natural and use FP Stabilizer Plus (I know!). I only use it about once a month and leave it on for 15 seconds, max. Works wonders for my hair.