Layers on natural hair

Aviah

So I've been flat ironing more recently. And My hair has no "shape" to it, just mostly uniform in length and, well- boring.

The problem is this uniform length works for my airdried styles (twistouts, braidouts, full out fro) However not my WnG's, which show how my hair shrinks differently around my head as it gets longer.

I want layers, but this might not work for natural state hair. Anyone with layers with no problems?

Aviah

Thanks for that, but I'd have to wait for next summer for that when I go back to NY!
I've heard good things about them though!

LaFemmeNaturelle

I had layers cut on my hair when it was straightened and my hair looks great in braidouts. I don't do wash and gos so I wouldn't know about that but I get compliments on my layers all the time when I wear textured styles.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I know my hair has layers. They didn't make sense before i was SL and it looked a bit like a mullet, but they make a lot more sense the longer my hair grows out. I wear my hair pulled back from my face, and the layers make it hang nicely.

Charlie555

You could try beveling the ends for a softer rounder look HTH:

MzSwift

Charlie555
Thanks! That was a great visual!

I have natural layers but once I reach my goal length, I'm going to want to maintain the layered look. I'll try the tip you've posted! :)

Aviah

Thanks guys. Thing is I do like to Wng every now and then and think it'll look crazy. Anyone with layers that does it?

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Thanks guys. Thing is I do like to Wng every now and then and think it'll look crazy. Anyone with layers that does it?

Me again! The longer my hair gets, the better it looks. I wear my hair pulled back from my face, and the layers take out some of the bulk. It also hangs better.

Lylddlebit

I have layers with no problem. I only layer my hair from the top of the ears forward this helps keep the full look when straightened. I only cut my layers in while straight.

Leeda.the.Paladin

OP, I think my hair looks crazier in it's natural state when it's NOT in layers.

I had natural layers (I was at one point trying to grow them but now am not so sure) and it always gave my hair a nice shape when doing twist outs and wash n go's.

manter26

I think curly hair needs layers. The picture is the reason why. The heaviness and bulkiness of textured hair looks odd when it's at one length. The triangular curtain is not a flattering look.

faithVA

[USER=292856 said:
BraunSugar[/USER];16727751]This is the method I use to shape my hair.

When you cut it do you straighten your hair? blow it out? or keep it curly?

Do you cut it in sections? tia

I love your hair. I wish I had the curl definition you have. Very pretty!

Marand13

I cut my hair after flat ironing and I think it looks best in layers. I've never worn my hair in a blunt cut.

I also think wash & goes look best on layered hair. It gives it a better shape and as manter26 said the triangle shape is not very flattering IMO. Layers also give the hair movement and can make it look fuller depending on the cut.

BraunSugar

When you cut it do you straighten your hair? blow it out? or keep it curly?

Do you cut it in sections? tia

I love your hair. I wish I had the curl definition you have. Very pretty!

Thank you!

I do it on blown out hair now because I took off more than I wanted to when I did it on unstraightened hair. I do it in 4 sections so that I can have some volume on top. My hair is low to normal density so layers give me fuller looking hair.

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=292856 said:
BraunSugar[/USER];16728579]Thank you!

I do it on blown out hair now because I took off more than I wanted to when I did it on unstraightened hair. I do it in 4 sections so that I can have some volume on top. My hair is low to normal density so layers give me fuller looking hair.

Please bear with me. What length is your hair?

And where do you place the 4 sections, 1 each side, 1 in back and 1 front/middle?

I don't have any hair but definitely would like to know for the future.

BraunSugar

Please bear with me. What length is your hair?

And where do you place the 4 sections, 1 each side, 1 in back and 1 front/middle?

I don't have any hair but definitely would like to know for the future.

My longest layer is APL. My shortest is CBL (excluding my bangs). I put 2 sections on each side of my hair at the top and 2 on each side in the back.

Here is a horrible picture that represents the back of my head & the sections I use. I would've made it look better but my son is being fussy right now. :ohwell:

Attachments

• layer-sections.jpg
    layer-sections.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 29

Diva_Esq

I am a layered natural! Otherwise I'd look like Marge Simpson's sisters!! LOL

See siggy pic for layers when flat ironed.

faithVA

My longest layer is APL. My shortest is CBL (excluding my bangs). I put 2 sections on each side of my hair at the top and 2 on each side in the back.

Here is a horrible picture that represents the back of my head & the sections I use. I would've made it look better but my son is being fussy right now. :ohwell:

Thank You. That was helpful. I need to check out your yt channel. Just need to remember when I get home.