Least Damaging Way to Staighten Natural...

caligirl

How can I get my hair straight with the least possible damage? These are the ways I have had my hair straightened in the past:

1. blowdry and press
2. just blowdy with a paddle brush
3. rollerset and flatiron

I'm texturized and I want to minimize damage too! :)

What I do is do a wet set on damp hair and air dry, which straightens the hair out a bit (for naturals too!) Drying your hair in a wet wrap helps too, but I don't like wrapping wet hair because I have to brush it... maybe the ponytail method would work.

Then press (or flatiron/blowdry) the hair with less heat because it's already partially straight.

Also, I don't know if this is because I'm texturized or not, but if I do a tight set and get under a good medium-hot hooded dryer,my hair comes out straight.

That's the least amount of damage I can think of doing...

Porsche19 said:
I'm texturized and I want to minimize damage too! :)

What I do is do a wet set on damp hair and air dry, which straightens the hair out a bit (for naturals too!) Drying your hair in a wet wrap helps too, but I don't like wrapping wet hair because I have to brush it... maybe the ponytail method would work.

Then press (or flatiron/blowdry) the hair with less heat because it's already partially straight.

Also, I don't know if this is because I'm texturized or not, but if I do a tight set and get under a good medium-hot hooded dryer,my hair comes out straight.

That's the least amount of damage I can think of doing...

I try not to use heat on my hair. I did use magnetic rollers on damp hair w/ shea butter to create this look. I think I did use the bonnet dryer w/ the cool setting which seemed to have taken just as long as air drying. This is what I got. I think it's a little matronly, but it was still good for my first attempt IMHO.
rollersetfromsoftbonnetdryer11-vi.jpg

Roller set to dry naturally with a light oil or shea mixture, then a warm comb press with a heat protector. Then I would set on satin rollers while hair still warm. I have 3bc hair and it gives me a nice silky bouncy result.

I do have to add that recently I warm combed after the roller set while my hair was still damp and recieved a soft smooth silky result. It seems the warm comb sealed in the shea conditoner I used. My hair stayed soft and moisturized for several days before I did a water spray routine. I got the idea from a thread from long ago about pressing wet hair. It really worked for me.
I had tried to wrap in silk and iron it with the iron but that was combursome. I will try one day but need help.

Last weekend I bought Paul Mitchell Straight Works and it was fantastic. It really straightens the hair when you use the blow dryer (low heat setting is less damaging than the higher heat level). I believe the first ingredient is glycerin, but I'm going from memory which is a dangerous thing! ;) Seriously though, this is a great product!

I'd reco to rollerset and then flat iron. If you have the rollers set tight enough your hair should get straight enough that you would only have to flat iron your roots.

I've also gotten my hair pretty straight by doing the ponytail method, and then pin curling or knotting my hair no heat used, but it was not a straight style, more curly

if you have a really good blowdryer like the baby bliss SUPER TURBO 2800 you can blowdry/press your hair in 1 step add heat protectant and you are set. the dryer is well worth the $60 i paid and the $2 for the wide tooth comb attachment

I have a good blowdryer--turbo 1500. I'm thinking of using the Wanakee method (hairoil.com). Blowdry hair in sections while holding the ends of the section and moving the mouth of the blowdryer up and down the section (ends hiden inside hand). Once dry, flat iron layer by layer. I think this will give my a very silky, no damage straight look.

I think blow-outs are the least damaging way to straighten my hair.

Back