Lemme pose a good question here...

B

Bublnbrnsuga

to what lengths (no pun intended) will we go to have long hair? Will we compromise our health, skin, or the hair you have to achieve our 'goal?' Do some think or know we may have unrealistic goals for our hair,but we still keep striving toward it?

I don't thin we have unrealistic goals for our hair. I just know i am not willing to risk my health for long hair though. I have tried various vitamins that people have said gave them growth. If the vitamin or product doesn't agree with my body i stopped using it. For example, as a newbie i started taking alfalfa pills. They started giving me cold like symptoms so i stopped using them. Also i read up and investigate each item i plan or want to use. You shouls always use caution when trying something new.

Jackie

OT but I must first say that your hair is beautiful- i'm striving for curls like yours...
As far as my limits- I love learning about hair and I'm trying to do right by my hair (since I spent so many years doing wrong). Where the line is draw for me is I will not take more a day. In fact I usually just limit my vitamin consumption to a hair mult and essential fatty acid. No way am I putting anything that smells like ass on my hair. The current horse craze comes to mind.
I guess my exception would be WGHO but it doesn't small bad to me- just not particularly good. Sure I'd like to have waistlength hair fast but I'm not trying to force it.

I don't think anyone on this board has unrealistic hair length goals. Afterall like 90% of people are genetically capable of reaching lower bra-strap and that is without any extra effort such as supplements and such. however, I do believe that we (including myself) may sometimes have unrealistic growth rates in mind....like I know my hair can be BSL, but instead of wiating for the usual 6inches per year, I want my growth next month!!! and this is where the all the craze comes from.

A products smell doesn't affect my health so I don't look at that as an issue.

But, I will not sacrifice my skin or my health in general for my hair to grow. If my hair remains this length for the rest of my life, I'll be ok with that. My goal is for my hair to grow longer, but if this is the length that's been determined for me, then so be it.

This is a good question. With the amount of information on LHCF I do believe it's possible for most women to grow their hair to 18-24 inches which is the average length if they commit themselves to it. Although I would like to believe that hair cannot grow to it's full potential without the body being healthy meaning exercising, eating right, drinking adequate amounts of water and taking vitamins that actually benefit the whole body not just the hair, I do think we can sometimes sabotage the process by using products that can potentially harm our body. for example, shampoos and conditioners that contain harmful ingredients like SLS (Motions products for example). Either we are not educated on how harmful these products could potentially be or we don't care becuase we think it gets the job done. When it comes to skin some complaints come from using biotin, I know because I had a break out from them. Maybe some people are not educated on their alternatives to growing healthy hair and will accept the breakouts or other alarming side effects from taking vitamins.

Mizani_Mrs said:
I don't think anyone on this board has unrealistic hair length goals. Afterall like 90% of people are genetically capable of reaching lower bra-strap and that is without any extra effort such as supplements and such. however, I do believe that we (including myself) may sometimes have unrealistic growth rates in mind....like I know my hair can be BSL, but instead of wiating for the usual 6inches per year, I want my growth next month!!! and this is where the all the craze comes from.

This is what I mean by unrealistic goals. I am not doubting that someone can have the length they desire,but patience is the virtue. Two members come to mind who decided that yeah, they wanted long hair, but after they did get to certain longer lengths, their hair was thinning so they decided to cut it. Those two are Nice and Dontspeakdefeat:up: They decided that healthy hair is all that matters,not necessarily the length.:yep:

I don't have unrealistic beliefs or practices at all. From what I read, people have been taking vitamins and been gentler with their hair. I know that genetically I can have long hair. (I had it all my life-got a little scissor happy though) My vitamin regime hasn't changed though because I am doing whats right for me and my health. I take a womens multi and a Rx iron pill for my anemia. I won't start taking herbs or anything b/c that messes with my prescriptions.
I think unrealistic beliefs come from envy. We envy those with long hair and want it for ourselves. I always say, don't envy others as they may be envying you.

i dont understand how goals can be percieved as unrealistic on this board when the theme is to achieve long hair while caring for it...

as far as health...thats personal...and its not my job to judge what is too much for someone to risk...

some things u never know are a problem until u try them...trial and error...

some women may feel so desperate to risk their health when their peers seem to have no problem growing long hair and they can barely grow an 1/4 inch in a month...

i dont have any problems with different hair types and starting lengths trying to be all they can be with their hair...

my goal isnt to come on here and crush dreams..and tell ppl wht they can't do

Well....

Let me say that I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to compromise their health/skin for hair. Who in the heck wants to be sick? Or have bad skin? I've seen/read about people having reactions to vits and such...did they keep taking them? NO!!!!!! If they were going to compromise they're health/skin, they'd keep taking them! I haven't seen anyone do that on here.

I'm pretty certain that some think that we have unrealistic goals. Scratch that...I AM certain...no doubt in there. They're some that say that we are crazy, stupid for doing all that we do and 'why can't we just accept our hair the way it is?' blah blah blah.....At the end of the day, the hair AIN'T on their head!!! It's on mine and on yours and on theirs. Just like they let they're hair 'be' or don't take or put anything out of the ordinary on it or don't take hair vits, I can set goals and do something to achieve them the way I see fit...

I think some people (scratch that. A LOT of people! In our families, friends and on the internet :) ... I know the whole MTG thang has got a LOT of people's STANKY gums flapping on the internet :lol: ) are a lil toooo obsessed about how many vits we take, what techniques people are using and what we're putting on our heads. Life just wouldn't be right for them EVER if they couldn't talk about something pertaining to SOMEONE ELSE'S head. :cool:

I didn't even read the post yet...just wanted to say how CUTE your hair looks in your new pic. Go on Girl!!!

Crysdon said:
I didn't even read the post yet...just wanted to say how CUTE your hair looks in your new pic. Go on Girl!!!

Oh thanks! I just took it down,though:grin:

Back