LHCF Trends - Do you follow them?

AFashionSlave

There is always some hot must have treatment or product here on LHCF. First Hennalucent, then Coconut & Lime, then L.U.S.T, and now it's all about SURGE.

To those who follow the LHCF trends:
How long is your hair now?
Why must you try everything that is mentioned here on the board?
Has trend following positively or negatively effected your hair?
How has trend following effected your pocket book?
What trends are still a part of your normal hair routine?(example: do you still use coconut & lime)

For those of you who do not follow the trends:
Why don't you follow the LHCF trends?
Do you feel that your hair is better off in the long run because you are not a trend follower?
How long have you been using the same products or routines?

KathyMay

I tend to follow a few but streching out my relaxer hurts my coarse thin 4a/b hair but everything else has not hurt me yet so I am following the trends to get my 12 inches of hair

PrettyBrownEyes

I do not follow trends for the most part. I pretty much just like to learn to master techniques such as rollersetting, and learn about products I may have seen or heard of.

- My hair is a little past my shoulders.

- I don't follow the LHCF trends because for the most part, I like to wait until a substantial amount of time has gone by like a year, to see if there has been an adverse reaction to each trend. Being that I have only been a member for 7 months and have seen quite a few hot trends on here, I just read about them and keep it movin'.

- Yes, I feel that my hair is better off in the long run due to the fact that I am not a trend follower. If a trend proved hazardous for a lack of a better word, to my hair, it would be a huge set back that I am not trying to risk.

- I have been using the same major routine for a year or so. I have a few staple products, but, I am open to trying products that are similar to my staples, to see if I may like them better.

Whew, I feel like I'm in school again typing all of this out.

DatJerseyDyme

I don't follow the trends.

How long is your hair now? About an inch from BS
Why don't you follow the LHCF trends? Who can affoard to? And I like the stuff I have.
Do you feel that your hair is better off in the long run because you are not a trend follower? Yes, I know what to expect from my products. I know I'm not going to damage it with the stuff I am using
How long have you been using the same products or routines? I've been using the Therappe and Keraphix for YEARS..Everything else for months. I will admit, that after I smelled LUST, I had to pick some up though. Carols daugheters are my newest products, and I'm VERY happy with them.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
The only one I've gotten is LUST & it was right after Tee first reviewed it--before it became a "trend."

Karonica

Sorry, I missed the questions.

The sides are slowly approaching the base of my neck, and the back is 1.5-2 inches above bra-strap, depending on which side of my head. I'm working on growing it all out even.

Not only would I be homeless from blowing up all my money, but I would be bald as well. I know what my hair likes, and what half of the board use may not be it. I used to do it a bit in the past, but don't anymore. Although, I'm considering trying Surge, I'm not breaking my neck to get it.

Do you feel that your hair is better off in the long run because you are not a trend follower?
Absolutely. I came here to gain knowledge, not do what everyone else is doing as far as products are concerned. I'd hate to try something that someone else used, only to find that my hair rejects it and sets me back farther from my goals. I will say that before I came here, I never conditioned, nor did I know I could do washes with conditioners. I wouldn't call that following a trend, but gaining knowledge.

Before coming here, I constantly switched products and tried something new, and I still do the same. But I will not go out and by the same conditioner, oils, etc. that everyone else is using. I've tried it in the past, only to learn that what works for the masses may not work for me. I try not to stray away from familiar territory. I'm a greaser, and will not stop because everyone else says so (although I did try that for like a week and didn't like it.)

Just being honest.

skegeesmb

I don't follow every trend, but I do participate and buy stuff I am interested in.
How long is your hair now? My hair is 21"
I don't follow the trends because I don't need to. I do like L.U.S.T because I have frizzy hair and lust smooths my hair down. I must admit I am going to try surge based on all the good results. But I participate only what I'm interested in. Everything I've tried so far has worked well. Lust works, and I'm hoping I get good results with Surge. But it won't hurt me though, my hair is getting pretty long without it.

No I don't think so. I just don't have the money to try new stuff. I don't believe that every magic thing is going to make my hair grow. I know it will grow.
How long have you been using the same products or routines? I have been using my staple products for longer than 6 months. My hair care routine hasn't changed since 2000. I might wash infrequently because I am lazy, but I pretty much wash condition, and deep condition when I need to.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

I dont follow the LHCF trend but then again., I have tried a few of the things suggested by this forum. Surge supplements, some of the appliances, and the WGO are a few of the things I've tried that I first heard about here. My hair when last measured in August was six inches from scalp to ends. There is soooo much I've learned about the do's and don't for my hair that I would be lost without this board keeping me up to date on whats new and hot, and a got ta, got ta have in my regeime.

Britt

This is a good post!
No I don't really follow the trends on the board.
I did jump on the Surge bandwagon but feel off after a week. It is sitting in my room collecting dust.
However, I have become a compulsive shopper for hair things that I don't really need since joining the board. I have also become more obsessed with my hair. I don't think this is amusing at all I think it is rather sad actually. I don't think its funny when people dish out lots of $$$ on hair productst that they don't need. It is an addiction. Its ok to splurge sometimes but there should be a limit to spending. Although it is my hair and not crack
obsessions and addictions are unhealthy nonetheless. I sometimes feel as if I am a slave to my hair. My hair is very healthy, but then again, it was healthy b4 joining this board. I do appreciate all the information I have recieved from the bd. and I have found a few good staples, but right now I am trying to slowly in little steps wean myself off of the spending.
*I got my hair cut to earlobe length ending of Aug. this summer and now it is about an inch from my shoulder length.The longest my hair has ever been was a bit above bra strap.

*** I really do regret the $$$ that I have spent on product raves. Right now, I am trying to really curb my spending and use what I have.

Britt

Ohhh yes I do feel as if my hair would be better off in the long run if I was NOT a trend follower and PJ. I think it is good to stick with the same products for a while. It is also better on my pockets.

Britt

Karonica,
I only used it for a week. I found it annoying and rather tedious to spray on my scalp 2x a day. The mornings were the worse, when I am rushing out the door I don't have time to sit there and part and spray.

G

How long is your hair now? <font color="blue"> 3 inches from Bra strap</font>

Why don't you follow the LHCF trends? <font color="blue"> It's expensive and some of the things I tried did'nt work for me ie Lust. It was ok, but not like the spectacular reivews.</font>

Do you feel that your hair is better off in the long run because you are not a trend follower? <font color="blue"> Umm, not sure but I think so. </font>

<font color="blue"> About a yr now.</font>

<font color="blue">On the same token, out of the VO5 craze, I found Kiwi/lime and love it and that was a cheap recommendation </font>

UmSumayyah

I have tried Hennalucent and it is a regular part of my regimen. I find it adds shine. The only modification I plan on making is to switch to the neutral and use bigen as my color.
I have tried LUST and I really love it. It is expensive though, so I use it infrequently. It will likely be a permanent part of my weeks 6-12 regimen. (still working on an exact regimen). I have not tried surge, but I was already doing the ends-greasing thing before the V-challenge, Still planning on trying coconut and lime when I get some more new growth.
It hasn't affected my pocketbook too badly. I have significantly slowed down as I am finding things that work and things that don't.
My hair is shoulder length from being chin length since joining the boards. I do not try everything mentioned on the boards, just what I feel like at the time, and what I think may work. So far I have gotten good results. For instance msm was raved about, once I got the right kind I started seeing what everyone was talking about.
I think it is only natural to want to try what pp. are raving about, especially when one is fairly new to conscious haircare. And sharing info on products and techniques is why the board exists in the first place.
I have been using some of the same products since finding the boards last winter--Wondergor Shea Butter Mega Moisture hairdress (for my ends. Not a board rave but it is mostly petrolatum and smells great), Pantene S&amp;S, coconut oil, Hennalucent, St. Ives clarifying Shampoo. I had been using VO5 hot oil for years and still use it when I don't feel like sitting under a heat cap with my coconut oil.
I never knew anything about shampoos before and would just buy whatever.
Overall my hair has grown and thrived from joining hairboards. None of my $$$ has been wasted because whatever doesn't work for me (type 4) works fine for my daugther's type 3 hair.If this breakage doesn't undo all my progress I could just be at bra strap in 2005.

NAY007

hey where are all the pjs all of a sudden
?

- somewhere between bra strap and waist (but closer to bra)

- because i would spend wayyyy too much money and i feel like my routine works well on my hair. as long as it's healthy, why change??? but it is tempting at times...

- i don't think that the health of my hair has anything to do with being a pj or not. when you're a pj and follow trends you just use a whole lot more products but that doesn't mean they are bad for your hair.

- i've always been doing the same things, of course i have phases where i do hot oil treatments all the time and then i stop. and every now and then i do try a new conditioner or detangler but i definitely do not follow trends. but i do like to read about them.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
i do and i dont follow LHCF trends

my hair is just past my shoulders, but i only buy products that seem appealing to me. like LUST sounds great and all, but that 8.99 for that small jar aint gone cut it! i've tried humectant, which was the rave when i first joined, and im going to try surge but im not rushing to go get it.

the biggest trend that ive followed are the vitamins, which i must say has helped.

i dont do conditioner washes, or daily washes yet, because i just dont have the time in the day to go to class, work, study, get grad school apps ready and spend 2-3 hours on my transitioning, 2 textured hair.

so my pocketbook is affected all that much by the trends, but i do incorporate some of the trends ive picked up and it has been positive.

i dont try every trend because im a little skeptical of things that sound too good to be true. like i cant imagine a product showing serious improvement after one usage, such as surge. or girls with the same hairtype as mine claiming that a product worked wonders, just because everyone has different hair and different routines and so many other factors can affect growth.

sorry for the long post. lol

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
my hair is just past my shoulders, but i only buy products that seem appealing to me. like LUST sounds great and all, but that 8.99 for that small jar aint gone cut it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously.
That's why I refuse to follow all the trends. I'd be broke. Holes in my shoes and all.

Angelicus

ARrrGGGGG!I was just about to make this thread. I've been a member oft this board for over 2 months and I've seen @ least 5 fads.

How long is your hair now? about 11 inches.

Why don't you follow the LHCF trends? My regimen is fine.

Do you feel that your hair is better off in the long run because you are not a trend follower? yep. Can't be a monkey-do.

How long have you been using the same products or routines? May 2003

EXSQUISIT

I dont follow the trends. I get advice on specific things that I already needed like a good moisturizing conditioner and leave in and I stick with those. My hair is about 4 1/2 inches from my waist right now. I dont think not following the trends has helped it, but I'm just more skeptical about things I guess so I try to stick with things I know work for me. I did get some Lust and I love that and I just need a good moisturizing shampoo which will prob end up being either Loreal or elucence then im very set. Also, I really dont have the money to splurge on products too much so when I get a new one I get very giddy!!!!

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:
hey where are all the pjs all of a sudden
?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question.

[/ QUOTE ]

The questions make it sound like this thread is for the non-PJs who ignore the trends.

I got my virgin relaxer in April but didn't have any hair products to maintain.
I discovered this board shortly after.
Now I consult with this forum and with my sisters and black girlfriends before I go shopping.

Trends I tried: LUST, Biotin, MSM, L-cysteine, Aubrey Organics GPB, Sta-Sof-Fro, Surge, Razac's leave in conditioner and serum, Biolage leave-in tonic, Clairol Renewal 5X cond, Good Hair Day pins, PCJ, ION straightening conditioner, eating more protein, Motions line, Keracare shampoo and Humecto, self-relaxing, vaseline on wet buns, conditioner washes

Trends I ignored: HHB, VO5 &amp; Suave conditioners, cholesterols, CON, Kenra products, Nexxus products, Elucence products, Garnier Fructis conditioner, daily washing/rinsing, phony ponytails, stretching out relaxers, vinegar rinses, Dominican conditioners, baking soda usage

It's a hassle to get to the Sally's BSS nearest me and I'm po', so I haven't yet realized my full PJ potential.

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]
The questions make it sound like this thread is for the non-PJs who ignore the trends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this would be a PJ thread for sure. Very interesting.

PrettyBrownEyes

I'm a PJ. When I think of trends, I think of things like the Lime Coconut Milk thing, the 7-day V- Challenge, the daily washes, the Bun Challenge, the HydroChallenge, Daily rinsing, etc.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
i dont understand how so many chicks on this board can switch to products so fast.. like go out and blow 90 dollars on some products..less is more, we should remember this phrase

nothing in this world is going to make our hair grow that much faster,which is why im not buying into a lot of things

and another thing

carol's daughter sounds like its da bomb, but ummm, why is the shipping more than the product..turn off #2