Light Mountain Henna is good, too (for those that don't want to order online)

HoneyDew

At my local health food store they have 2 kinds:

(other colors: http://www.lotuspress.com/ltmtn.htm (they are all in the reddish, mahogony, black range.)

This one's ingredients are Cassia and Henna and the powders are all mixed in one bag. The powder is very smooth, unlike Rainbow henna. This is the one I tried and really liked it. I got the infamous Henna condition, shine and thickness. :D like that I don't have to order this because it was at the local health food store. Because I tried the neutral and it has cassia in it, I am guessing there is more cassia in this one than the henna.

Their other, and the one I will try when I need color has 2 different bags in the box along with gloves and cap. One with pure Henna and one with Indigo. I did not read the directions, but with the packs being separate, I am sure it is similar to all (or least some of) the mixes that we have seen :

I opened each color's box at the store and they have different amounts of Henna, cassia and/or indigo depending on the color. So I still think these need stand test BIGTIME!

Mizani_Mrs

good to know!! thanks!! I picked up some henna from a local indian supermarket...I think the name is Mumata (matuma?) ...does anyone know if it's any good? It says superior quality but it doesn't list ingredients, so i don't think i'll be using it unless someone can vouch for it....

LovelyLionessa

Mizani_Mrs said:
good to know!! thanks!! I picked up some henna from a local indian supermarket...I think the name is Mumata (matuma?) ...does anyone know if it's any good? It says superior quality but it doesn't list ingredients, so i don't think i'll be using it unless someone can vouch for it....

I think this kind was just mentioned in the "Do ya'll henna?" thread. If I remember correctly, Sareca had purchased some with her Jamilla wholesale.

LovelyLionessa

HoneyDew said:
At my local health food store they have 2 kinds:

(other colors: http://www.lotuspress.com/ltmtn.htm (they are all in the reddish, mahogony, black range.)

This one's ingredients are Cassia and Henna and the powders are all mixed in one bag. The powder is very smooth, unlike Rainbow henna. This is the one I tried and really liked it. I got the infamous Henna condition, shine and thickness. :D like that I don't have to order this because it was at the local health food store. Because I tried the neutral and it has cassia in it, I am guessing there is more cassia in this one than the henna.

Their other, and the one I will try when I need color has 2 different bags in the box along with gloves and cap. One with pure Henna and one with Indigo. I did not read the directions, but with the packs being separate, I am sure it is similar to all (or least some of) the mixes that we have seen :

I opened each color's box at the store and they have different amounts of Henna, cassia and/or indigo depending on the color. So I still think these need stand test BIGTIME!

Thanks for the info. How much did you pay? I think I have seen the Color the Gray box at my local health food store but never really took notice of it before. I can't wait to hear how it works. :)

Cayenne0622

Thanks for the info. I just ordered my first henna from hennaforhair and I'm awaiting its arrival. I wanted to go with the trusted henna for my first experience. I will definitely check some of the Indian markets and Whole Foods to see if I can find Light Mountain or one of the other hennas mentioned on this site.

HoneyDew

Priestess said:
Thanks for the info. How much did you pay? I think I have seen the Color the Gray box at my local health food store but never really took notice of it before. I can't wait to hear how it works. :)

I paid $6 for the neutral kit. I did not buy the Color the Gray one today. I am not going to need color for a while so I am not sure when I will need it. But instead of going for Bigen next time, I will try the Light Mountain kit. It seems to just be henna and indigo powders in the kit, nothing special.

You could get the same from the popular online locations.

I just don't like being forced to only get in online, though.

LovelyLionessa

HoneyDew said:
I paid $6 for the neutral kit. I did not buy the Color the Gray one today. I am not going to need color for a while so I am not sure when I will need it. But instead of going for Bigen next time, I will try the Light Mountain kit. It seems to just be henna and indigo powders in the kit, nothing special.

You could get the same from the popular online locations.

I just don't like being forced to only get in online, though.

Oh, okay gotcha. I hear ya about getting stuff locally as opposed to online. I just picked up some henna today from an Indian grocery store, super cheap, it is nice to have local sources to get hair goodies from. :yep:

LadyJ76

Honeydew,

I picked this brand up at my local health food store too. I did it this morning, but it left my hair dry. I washed w/ Elucence and DC'd for 30 minutes w/ salerm (wheat germ). Do you think I did something wrong. Should I have clarified after using this?

HoneyDew

LadyJ76 said:
Honeydew,

I picked this brand up at my local health food store too. I did it this morning, but it left my hair dry. I washed w/ Elucence and DC'd for 30 minutes w/ salerm (wheat germ). Do you think I did something wrong. Should I have clarified after using this?

It did not give me dry hair. Have you used any kind of Henna before to compare it to?

sareca

Just for the record, Light Mountain Henna is considered compound henna because it's not pure henna.

Kimberly

sareca said:
Just for the record, Light Mountain Henna is considered compound henna because it's not pure henna.

:eek: That's what I used my first time hennaing...I wondered but the box only listed two ingredients...the henna and the plant derivative for the color I selected which was "mahogany".

Kimberly

LadyJ76 said:
Honeydew,

It kind of dried my hair out a little too....I Wheat Germ and Patchouli for 2 hours afterwards and then it came out like buttah....strong and silky...:D

edited to correct conditioner I used

Last edited:

Tee

Priestess said:
Oh, okay gotcha. I hear ya about getting stuff locally as opposed to online. I just picked up some henna today from an Indian grocery store, super cheap, it is nice to have local sources to get hair goodies from. :yep:

How are you liking the Local Indian Henna?

LadyJ76

sareca said:

Oh, no! I used the neutral one. I thought for sure it was not compound henna!:eek: How is this going to affect my hair. Will I not be able to relax after this? I was planning on relaxing in 2-3 wks? I'm scared now!! Sareca, please let me know. Thanx

HoneyDew

LadyJ76 said:
Oh, no! I used the neutral one. I thought for sure it was not compound henna!:eek: How is this going to affect my hair. Will I not be able to relax after this? I was planning on relaxing in 2-3 wks? I'm scared now!! Sareca, please let me know. Thanx

I have used several of the Henna products that people are claiming/assuming are compound and I have relaxed once since then. My hair has been fine, actually better than before I started using them.

sareca

Personally, I consider using compound henna like playing Russian Roulette with your hair. Sometimes you win and sometimes... :ohwell:

It's extremely simple to tell if you have compound henna. If it is not 100% pure henna (w/ no additions, that includes botanicals) it is compound henna. End of story. Compound just means multiple or more than one ingredient. Even if it only has two ingredients it is compound henna. If ANYTHING was added to the henna it is compound henna. But, the problem isn't that they add indigo or amla to the henna. That's not a big deal. I do it all the time. The problem is what they added and didn't mention. Some compound henna vendors use metallic compounds in their henna mixes and do not list it as an ingredient. Now Light Mountain may or may not have metallics. I don't know, but I prefer websites or packaging that specifically says "no metallics."

Metallic compounds are what cause hair to melt, but only when mixed with synthetic dyes. So I believe it's possible to relax hair without a problem even if IT DOES have metallics. The problem would come if you tried to dye your hair with a synthetic dye in the future. Metallics don't wash away or degrade. Once introduced they are a part of your hair until it grows out. That's why stylists are so afraid of henna.

For simplicity, I usually tell people avoid compound (or premixed) henna. Or anything that comes in a range of colors. Henna is red....Period. If you want a certain color, use those same ingredients yourself. I wanted darker red so I added indigo. I wanted more conditioning so I added amla. There are endless possiblities when you make it yourself. Basically I'm making compound henna at home, right? No big deal, but there is one big difference. I know mine won't melt my hair one day because I KNOW there are no metallics.

Last edited:

sareca

LadyJ76 said:

Metallics are added for better color penetration. The neutral one wouldn't have metallics because there's no color. I think you're ok. Just to be safe, after your relaxer is mixed up, put a little on some harvested hair. If there's a problem you'll know in a couple of minutes. The hair will dissolve. Again, I think it's probably ok, but test it anyway.

Here more information about identifying compound hennas... http://www.hennaforhair.com/science/whatsinit.html

ETA: So the next question is why do compound henna vendors need better color penetration? Because their henna is old or it has been too diluted with "botanical" to color effectively.

Last edited:

sareca

Oh and also for the record, VWVixxen (Henna for Life, Club President) uses (or has used) compound henna. She knows what to look for and is cautious. If you're comfortable with that then have at it. :wink2: It is definitely cheaper and more available.

Last edited:

chiprecious

Ok I got scared because I just used Light Mountain neutral on my hair after doing a strand test and all came out fine.

After doing some research, just as I thought (from hennaforhair.com and other sources):
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+1]Compound henna is a term that refers to hair dye made with henna and other plant dyes mixed with metallic salts. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Metallic salts alter and fix a dye stain. Many “henna colors” are created with metallic salts. The most frequently used material is lead acetate, though silver nitrate, copper, nickel, cobalt, bismuth and iron salts have also been used. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Dyes with lead acetate gradually deposit a mixture of lead sulfide and lead oxide on the hair shaft. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]When you hear that henna has “metal”, “lead”, or “coats the hair” and “leaves it brittle”, that refers to a compound henna dye, full of these toxic wonders. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Hair bleach, permanent hair color, and permanent wave solution are a disastrous combination with compound (metallic salt) henna dyes. These can result in green, purple, or totally fried hair. [/FONT]

JamericanGurl

Letitia said:
How are you liking the Local Indian Henna?
I bought a pretty good size bag of no named Henna from the Indian store and I love it! I've mixed it with Amla powder and I have beautiful color and softness.

I posted a pic in a thread I made about Amla powder.