Listerine as a relaxer base MY A$$!!!!

lilamae

Okay so I'm at the salon and my new growth is off the chain so it's touch up time> I was afraid of my scalp burning so I asked her to base me well. She says Oh gilr I'll put some listerine on it..it's the best base around.

I skeptically said "okay"

3 minutes in and my scalp is on fire... not from the relaxer cuz that ain't even on yet..but from the listerine!!!:burnup: Then comes the relaxer! It was all bad. I got telaxed cuz I couldn't take it.

Has this ever worked for anyone?

My scalp is still burning two hours later.

Not all bad news though. I did have the stylist use AO Hunersuckle Rose as my deep condition and CHI silk infusion prior to styling..the hair looks awesome but the scalp thing ain't no joke..moral to the story... stick to a nice thick petroleum base..for real for real!

lilamae

That was me! I just hope I have my hair tomorrow.

any suggestions on nursing my poor little scalp?

aloof one

you should cuss that b!tch out.

Listerine has everything that will make your scalp burn, and dry your hair out.
It does not protect your scalp from a relaxer, and probably would have caused it to do more damage had you left it on. That woman was a fool, and I am confused as to how she was allowed to even get to the positon to do hair! :nono:

1. First of all, Listerine is an acidic product, not a base at all! So if anything it will make the relaxer burn worse as opposed to protecting you!
  2. Second of all, anyone who does a relaxer would know that bases are typically (if not all the time) petroleum because it coats the hair and scalp to protect it... even plain old grease would have done the trick compared to listerine
  3. Third of all, the only time I have ever heard of using the stuff on the head was for dandruff, and even then it is silly because it will burn and cause you to scratch and burn more--- not to mention dry the hair out too
You should go get some Listerine Extra Strength Cool Mint and dump it on her head like it was an accident. Rub it in good too...

caliber38

What salon did u go to? That woman is CRAZY. They have many different types of base on the market, heck she could have just put any oil on it. LISTERINE WAS NOT A GOOD CHOICE :wallbash:. I cant believe she did that to you. That stuff burns in ur mouth on contact so i dunno why someone would put it on ur scalp. What was she thinking? Please dont go back there. I'm begging you. Is ur scalp ok?

Last edited:

aloof one

BTW, You should focus on moisturizing your scalp and hair to keep it from drying out from all the itching and whatnot... If you grease your scalp (I don;t but if I did...) it might help with the itching, but Im not sure since this has never hapened to me

almondjoi85

It does not protect your scalp from a relaxer, and probably would have caused it to do more damage had you left it on. That woman was a fool, and I am confused as to how she was allowed to even get to the positon to do hair! :nono:
  1. First of all, Listerine is an acidic product, not a base at all! So if anything it will make the relaxer burn worse as opposed to protecting you!
  2. Second of all, anyone who does a relaxer would know that bases are typically (if not all the time) petroleum because it coats the hair and scalp to protect it... even plain old grease would have done the trick compared to listerine
  3. Third of all, the only time I have ever heard of using the stuff on the head was for dandruff, and even then it is silly because it will burn and cause you to scratch and burn more--- not to mention dry the hair out too
You should go get some Listerine Extra Strength Cool Mint and dump it on her head like it was an accident. Rub it in good too...

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Nonsense!..using that stuff as mouthwash is tortue enough..and shouldn't your scalp be dry before a relaxer application?..from now on please base your own scalp b/4 you let someone else put a relaxer in (or if you do it yourself)

WomanlyCharm

WTH?!

I have never heard of this before in my life! If my beautician tried to base my scalp with Listerine, so help me I might do serious damage to her face. We all know that ish burns...IT BURNS!!!! :burning: :couchfire:

Rinse that head with cool water...rinse it like you've never rinsed before!!! Then use some jojoba or another kind of healing oil...but nothing like peppermint, or tea tree...unless you want to burn some more!

O.k., just thinking about this is making me want to scream...this woman needs to be reported to whoever is in charge of giving out beautician licenses in your state, because this was not just some serious hateration, this really could have done serious damage.

Last edited:

tenjoy

Girl u got played, by a hater:blush:. The only thing she should be using listerine for in a shop is to disinfect her tools, getting dye off her hands. That made no sense.

I sooooo mad at you!:look:

lilamae

Yeah it did not seem right to me... but she convinced me that this was the end all of bases! Then she told me to get a trim and when i refused she said my hair was not gonna grow. I just think like many stylist she is misinformed.

I am partially to blame for not listening to my instinct... which said "hell nah don't let her use that as a base!!!" But i did not listen:nono:

lilamae

WTH?!

I have never heard of this before in my life! If my beautician tried to base my scalp with Listerine, so help me I might do serious damage to her face. We all know that ish burns...IT BURNS!!!! :burning: :couchfire:

Rinse that head with cool water...rinse it like you've never rinsed before!!! Then use some jojoba or another kind of healing oil...but nothing like peppermint, or tea tree...unless you want to burn some more!
you have no idea how bad it burns!!!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Okay, not to overreact or anything but you should seriously consider calling your state cosmetology board about this. There was no hint of professional judgment in what she did.

Was she trying to sabotage you, perhaps?

lilamae

Girl u got played, by a hater:blush:. The only thing she should be using listerine for in a shop is to disinfect her tools, getting dye off her hands. That made no sense.

I sooooo mad at you!:look:
I know.. I"m partially to blame for not standing up and saying "WTF?" hec no you ain't puttin that in my hair!

berry87

Oh Hell Nawh :lachen::lachen: That stuff cant even stay in my mouth for a few seconds and my eyes not well up, so imagine my scalp?:nono: I've never heard of that mess before:nono: Shoot I want to see her put some damn listerine on her head:yep: Why would she want to base the scalp with a liquid of any kind? Doesnt it contain Alcohol? :wallbash::wallbash:

tenjoy

I think this heiffer tried to F@#$ u up, then nurse u back to help for your money. Months from now she will be reminding you how she got your head back right....and forgetting she's the one who wronged you!:lachen:

lovelymissyoli

:sad:...ummm...what stylist do you know of that keeps Listerine in a salon? Does she live in there too?

I'm sorry your scalp is one fire. You should try some pure aloe to get it to calm down.

berry87

Sorry to hear that happend to you.

Has she ever done your touch up before?

Who issued her a license?

Was was she smoking that day?:lachen:

All jokes aside, that it the craziest thing I've heard:nono:

Sistaslick

I've heard some things in my short little lifetime, but this one takes the cake by far. Maybe she thought the listerine would neutralize the alkalinity of the relaxer . . . you know, similar to how some people pour coke on a relaxer if it starts to "burn too soon" :look: And even then that's just a dab on already petroleum based hair/scalp. . . But for your whole initial base to be listerine?

How did she even base you with a liquid that thin? What if that stuff ran down in your eyes?:look:

ITA with SG, you need to dial that number on the wall above her station STAT. :look:

That's why I used to always walk in on my appointments ALREADY FULLY BASED. :look:

madamdot

Wow, I keep waiting for you to say you were kidding!!!!

that's like someone brushing their teeth with a relaxer. So sorry this happened. I hope your scalp feels better soon.

MrsQueeny

Wow, I keep waiting for you to say you were kidding!!!!

that's like someone brushing their teeth with a relaxer. So sorry this happened. I hope your scalp feels better soon.

Girl me too. That is just straight crazy. She sounds like she was trying to mess you up. That doesn't even make sense!!! Q

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
There is nothing soothing about listerine. I can't even stand it in my mouth when I doing a mouth wash. What in the world was your stylist thinking? How come you agreed to let her base you with listerine?

Last edited:

Dogmd

You poor thing. I always base my own scalp prior to going to the salon.
You should report that lady to the state board.