Listerine as a relaxer base MY A$$!!!!

Lovelylocs

That salon needs to be SHUT DOWN! Doing smthg like that is no joke! Why would she do that to u? DOes she have a hair liscense? U should report her! :mad:

LBoogie

Dumbest thread in life (and I only read the OP)...sorry for bumping, I missed it the first time around.

Leeda.the.Paladin

OK, ok, ok....I always heard people referencing Listerine around here and LOL'ing. Now I know why!

*going back to read the whole thread*

anon123

What?! :burning: That "stylist" was trying to hurt you! If she had tried that even one time before she must have known the effects. It doesn't even make any sense. Was she thinking it would cool your head, like a York Peppermint Patty sensation or something?

Stella B.

Girl, that Listerine is pure alchohol! We used that rinse exclusively in our house as a child, and even back then I swore that when I got older, I would never rinse with that again..Where's the logic in using that as a relaxer base on your scalp? OMG, I would be burning for days, just like you! So, so sorry this happened to you!:ohwell:

HeChangedMyName

Okay so I'm at the salon and my new growth is off the chain so it's touch up time> I was afraid of my scalp burning so I asked her to base me well. She says Oh gilr I'll put some listerine on it..it's the best base around.

I skeptically said "okay"

3 minutes in and my scalp is on fire... not from the relaxer cuz that ain't even on yet..but from the listerine!!!:burnup: Then comes the relaxer! It was all bad. I got telaxed cuz I couldn't take it.

Has this ever worked for anyone?

My scalp is still burning two hours later.

Not all bad news though. I did have the stylist use AO Hunersuckle Rose as my deep condition and CHI silk infusion prior to styling..the hair looks awesome but the scalp thing ain't no joke..moral to the story... stick to a nice thick petroleum base..for real for real!

FYI, your stylist hates you. she is jealous of your healthy head of hair via lhcf and she wants you bald. :lachen::lachen:

But seriously, listerine. . .why? who thought of that? it is alcohol based so it would burn regardless.

Rei

What?! :burning: That "stylist" was trying to hurt you! If she had tried that even one time before she must have known the effects. It doesn't even make any sense. Was she thinking it would cool your head, like a York Peppermint Patty sensation or something?

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

jamaraa

Geez that's pure booze! They might as well have put on vodka and light a match (NO don't try this at home folk :giggle:)

dany06

I was recently reading the ingredient for a scalp base at Sally's and it has menthol in it. I guess she figured that would give a similar sensation. Im not sure why menthol is even in a scalp based. But that is seriously weird that she actually put mouth wash in your hair.

dany06

On e more thing. Many stylists use techniques that they did not learn in school. Quite often they either make up techniques after years of experience or still use techniques they grew up with. I had my hair pressed once and it was very painful. The stylist mentioned that she did it the way her grandmother did her and that is also why she started relax due to the pain. After that I have yet to go back to a stylist. I really am sorry about your experience.

lux10023

can not believe someone sat and let another person try AND BASE THEIR SCAP WITH LISTERINE B4 A PERM--R U CRAZYYYY

i know this thread is old too but really---

SimpleKomplexity

I was recently reading the ingredient for a scalp base at Sally's and it has menthol in it. I guess she figured that would give a similar sensation. Im not sure why menthol is even in a scalp based. But that is seriously weird that she actually put mouth wash in your hair.

I rememer some tingling stuff my stylist sed to put in my hair that made my head feel cold before she washed the relaxer out. It porlly had menthol in it, and Listerine does too right? She probably thought it was on in the same. Lord I just hope no one experiments on ME!

beans4reezy

OMG. Wow. What else is there to say? If common sense doesn't set off alarms in your head about putting listerine on your scalp before a relaxer- nothing will.

BoaterGirlKim

The more I read stories like this on this board, the better I feel that I left hairdressers alone when I was in my early 20s...I turn 40 later this year.

ETA But I must say, I would never have let her put Listerine on my scalp...and relaxer?? Sounds like torture.

Last edited:

Coil Tresses

Girl sounds like she don't like you. She know she was lying like h*ll when she said that fake sh*t. Some people ain't right!

I've heard of Sea-Breeze used after the hair has been neutralized to prevent scabs if you were burning.

Did you find a new beautician?

Last edited: