Little Girl Talks About Going Natural

keepithealthy

BlackMasterpiece just started a thread with I believe this girls mother talking about how expensive natural products are. I found this clip where her daughter talks about wearing her natural hair at school. Reminds me of when my niece first started school. There are very few black kids in her classroom and the 1 black boy in her class made her cry because he told her, her hair was ugly and didn't swing like the white girls. She was so upset and so was I. Since going natural I have really learned that black folk don't like there hair! You can see that the idea that our natural hair is bad is passed down from generation to generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3hcBQE6Pa4&feature=related

Natural Glow

Well she seemed to take the teasing well. She had me laughing too.It's a shame little kids are talking about someone's hair is nappy and they need a perm:nono:

I remember when I first got a relaxer. It was in 5th grade and there were only like 3 black kids in my grade 1 boy and 2 girls. Anyway the first day I went to school with my newly relaxed hair the boy goes "What you do to your hair...it don't look nappy any more" :lachen:

mscocoface

This young lady has me CHEESING ovah here and I don't even know her.

God bless this girl baby!!! She is just wonderful inside and out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is dropping some knowledge too.

Familygoingnatural is doing some thangs on YT. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GreenD

I think we're doing an awesome job with the next generation and hair. My sister just started locking her hair earlier this year started locking my nieces hair shortly after and they LOVE it!! They tell me the little girls at school want their hair like theirs, and they're some children that have locs as well.

LOL, that little girl it TOOOOO cute, she's so mature. She's so funny!! ;)

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

I just ADORE Remy!!! She has the coarsest kinkiest hair out of the whole family and she's just a girl after my own heart:infatuated: tooo adorable and really taking her natural journey in stride:yep:

What I love about her is that she see's that the other kids are wrong and just being mean and she doesn't seem to internalize the hate which is wonderful I think her mom really helps to contribute to that mindset.

For me, I had a mom that always did her best to teach me my history and tell me my hair was beautiful the way it was and never to get a relaxer but she never really knew how to work with super tightly coily hair like mine and styling my hair would always be painful and excessively time consuming.

I had a pretty tough go of it when it came to my hair growing up. My mom always sent me to very exclusive schools on manhattan's upper west side, I used to think it was normal to have to interview to get into a school and write several essays. It was an awesome environment that provided me with wonderful opportunities but amung the black students at the school there was a hair hierarchy and my kind of hair was considered "bad" the worst and ugly, and they made it their business to let me know. I caved when I got to high school and watched my hair decline.

I eventually grew up and out of that vulnerability came into my own and embraced my own natural beauty but it was a journey and sometimes a struggle to get to this place.

I think the best thing we can do for black little girls ESPECIALLY the girls with tightly coily hair that society sees as "bad" is to make hair styling an enjoyable experience for them, to show them the versatility of their hair and that no matter what anyone has to say, their hair is beautiful and perfect the way it is.

Last edited:

Rapunzel*

Well she seemed to take the teasing well. She had me laughing too.It's a shame little kids are talking about someone's hair is nappy and they need a perm:nono:

I remember when I first got a relaxer. It was in 5th grade and there were only like 3 black kids in my grade 1 boy and 2 girls. Anyway the first day I went to school with my newly relaxed hair the boy goes "What you do to your hair...it don't look nappy any more" :lachen:
im sorry but..............

:rofl:

Keedah

There was this one girl at my school that had lush 4b hair that mustve been at least MBL. Of course people told her to get a perm...she caved in when we were in high school.

keepithealthy

I think the best thing we can do for black little girls ESPECIALLY the girls with tightly coily hair that society sees as bad is to make hair styling an enjoyable experience for them, to show them the versatility of their hair and that no matter what anyone has to say, their hair is beautiful and perfect the way it is.
I agree! Unfortunately grandma decided to relax my nieces hair when we went out of town for a weekend...to loosen it up. Poor thing her hair was so thin and greasy she looked like a wet dog :wallbash: But she was so happy because her hair was straight and looked longer and was "pretty" :sad: I have been telling her that her own hair is beautiful and trying to expose her to the beauty of natural hair. I can see its starting to work because now says aunty I like your afro don't straighten your hair. I think it definitely starts at home.

My little hair trauma memory pressure to relax
I remember in 10th grade when my hair was natural and I straightned they actually clapped because they thought I had finally relaxed it.

BlackMasterPiece

Thanx keepithealthy! You know what I think would be a great exercise for a little Black girl with coarse coily hair?

Get two manequin dolls one with kinky hair and one with bone straight hair

Do two strand twists on the kinky hair and do two strand twists on the striaght hair do a cornrow on the straight hair then do a cornrow on the kinky hair(maybe you just demonstrate on her head directly) and show her how much better our hair holds styles, make it like a game, how many ways we can switch it up.....make an argument where you show her that her hair is the best of all.

I switched it up SO much this summer that the white girls at my job would always be like WOW I wish I could do that in my hair!! Like every week I'd always :lol: to myself about how things have changed since I was a little girl.

mswoman

I think it depends on where you live and what you are taught by your parents. I have always been told and I tell my daughter that God made her how she looks and if anyone told here anything negative about her outter apperence to tell them that is the way God has made her and if they don't like it they are just mean because God doesn't make any mistakes!

And I use to tell people if they make fun of me then they are making fun of God and He is nothing to play with.

keepithealthy

BlackMasterPiece lol That is actually a good idea! hmmm I'm gonna have to try that with her because even though she is 7 she does love looking fabulous lol. We call her the little model cause that girl will strike a pose for the camera in a minute. lol I love your hairstyles so creative and pretty I bc'd in June and I haven't tried doing anything with my head yet accept wash and goes and using lots of hair accessories. I might try braiding the front tomorrow though.

Last edited:

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Natural hair is very rare amongst the young girls at my daughter's school. Ever since 1st grade, she was one of only two african american girls in her age group with natural hair and she really started feeling the peer pressure to relax in about 4th grade. Of course, I refused to give in and now she's in 8th grade and proudly rocks her afro puffs and no longer wants a relaxer. It's amazing, now she loves the attention she gets for being "different" with her textured 4b coils. I've allowed her to experience the occasional dominican blow out and she totally appreciates the versatility of natural hair. Bravo to this little lady for being so positive, it's very encouraging!

keepithealthy

I think it depends on where you live and what you are taught by your parents. I have always been told and I tell my daughter that God made her how she looks and if anyone told here anything negative about her outter apperence to tell them that is the way God has made her and if they don't like it they are just mean because God doesn't make any mistakes!

And I use to tell people if they make fun of me then they are making fun of God and He is nothing to play with.

lol I used to tell people if you have a problem with the way I look you need to talk to God cause he made me. I didn't have any choice in the matter and he sure nough didn't ask me ! lol
_____

Last edited:

keepithealthy

Natural hair is very rare amongst the young girls at my daughter's school. Ever since 1st grade, she was one of only two african american girls in her age group with natural hair and she really started feeling the peer pressure to relax in about 4th grade. Of course, I refused to give in and now she's in 8th grade and proudly rocks her afro puffs and no longer wants a relaxer. It's amazing, now she loves the attention she gets for being "different" with her textured 4b coils. I've allowed her to experience the occasional dominican blow out and she totally appreciates the versatility of natural hair. Bravo to this little lady for being so positive, it's very encouraging!
that's great!

India*32

Now, I know why I went to relaxer when I was younger, couldn't stand those combs outs like now since I'm natural. I live in VA and the water is so darn hard. I just invested in some Joico K- Line. I hope this helps. My hair draws up and keeps twisted in it's own thread. Yikes

India

Soliel185

"I must look like a supermodel cuz they be staaaaarin'!"

:rofl:

"I'm not gone tell you how old he is, but he old. VERY old." :look:

She's hilarious and better adjusted than most adult women I know.

Urban

Ì love that channel! And Remy is so cute and more mature in general than some women out there.

luckiestdestiny

That's great. I'm going to borrow this from you for when I have kids one day.:grin:

BlackMasterPiece

Awwwe you guys cuteness alert!! look @ Remy and her sister Ty they have the kinkiest hair out if the family and just beaming with pride over their natural styles.

Their mom take SO much pride in styling their natural hair and just making them feel so good about their hair and themselves this really got me misty eyed yall

Ty and Remy's Back to School Styles

Awe!:infatuated: