~~Locked Heads Roll Call~~

Hey all.
I know that there are only a few of us here but every now and then there is a thread stared about locks.
I was just curious to know how many of us are really on this board. It doesn't matter if you are just started your locs today or have had them for 10+ years because we ALL are wanting healthy hair :yep:.
Also, this may help with people who have considered locking their hair but are unsure about it. You can see who you can PM or whose fotki to stalk :grin:
I know I will be bumping this thread a lot but hey...
Anywhoo...
I started my second set of locks May 24th 2008 with braids.
My first set I had for 6.5 years.
I am latching for maintenance (I have changed my mind too many times about this part).
My fotki, well, ain't exactly the place to go to but I can direct you to some good ones :lachen:
Anyone else?

SoulElegance

I'd like to know how to get your loc's to grow in thicker so when they get longer they will look nice and full.

* The pic is a hair weave with that stupid EXPENSIVE remy indian hair.* Not ready to show my baldy loc's yet. lol.

I'd like to know how to get your loc's to grow in thicker so when they get longer they will look nice and full.

* The pic is a hair weave with that stupid EXPENSIVE remy indian hair.* Not ready to show my baldy loc's yet. lol.

It all depends on the size of your parts and of course, your hair type.
Also, how you maintain will be a factor.
When starting your locs, the base of the loc or the size of the part will determine how big your locs will be when mature. Your hair will swell up over time and then compact down.
Are you latching or palmrolling?

:bighug:Hello to all My Fellow Loc Sistaz and Brothaz...I totally agree it is nice to see other people with Locs...I have been Loc'd for over 8+ years...

When I figure out how to post more pics in here...I will post some so you can see...

santwon

This is awesome. I'd wondered where you guys were hiding. I'm not locing, but I'm interested to see some of yours.

Cassandra1975

I would love to see some more loc'd pics as well. I have been debating about whether or not I want to loc. I still haven't decided.

Here are pictures of me with my first set of locs. These are from 5 years and on. The last pic, the back shot is before I chopped them off.

These are my new set. Today is 4 months. They have already started to loc but they still look fro-like as I am not twisting but latching :yep:

Nonie

Oooh...thanks for posting pics! They're looking good!

Your new ones remind me of my hair when I do a twist-out...only mine look like wavy locs...well, until I messed them up by wetting them. I love how fluffy you hair looks. Your former looks were so neat. The bun pics looks so tidy like you just parted and created them the very day you took that pic.

blkbuttahflyy

Loc'd 12/04 ~ 07/12.
Checking in very late. My 4 year anniversary will be the end of next month. Here is a pic of what I had my loctician do for me yesterday. Sorry about the picture. Our mirror is also a medicine cabinet. The picture in my siggy was taken the morning before my appointment which is why I'm wearing the same shirt. :look:

anon123

Checking in very late. My 4 year anniversary will be the end of next month. Here is a pic of what I had my loctician do for me yesterday. Sorry about the picture. Our mirror is also a medicine cabinet. The picture in my siggy was taken the morning before my appointment which is why I'm wearing the same shirt. :look:

:shocked: Love the color and the set. I guess you had to wet and then dry on curlers? How long did that take? :cupidarrow:

Everyone's locks look beautiful. This will mostly be me some day, so I like looking at pictures.

asummertyme

I am not locked but i always said to myself , I will lock my hair eventually when I am ready! I just love them and I cant wait too see more pictures.

blkbuttahflyy

Loc'd 12/04 ~ 07/12.
:shocked: Love the color and the set. I guess you had to wet and then dry on curlers? How long did that take? :cupidarrow:

Everyone's locks look beautiful. This will mostly be me some day, so I like looking at pictures.

I washed my hair a couple hours before my appointment. It saves time from having my loctician wash it, set me under a dryer for 20 minutes, then do my maintenance, sit me back under the dryer, then style. So my hair is still damp when I reach the salon, but not dripping wet. She palmrolls my locs using only Nature's Blessing Pomade. (I finger-latch them myself about 4 or 5 times a year since my hair does not loc quickly and I will have several inches of 'straight' hair if I don't. I've only had my hair palmrolled for the last 2 years. Prior to that, I was latched by another loctician, but as my hair got longer, so did the process.) After she's finished palmrolling, she takes about 3 locs and wraps them around a foam flex rod. Then I'm under the dryer about an hour or so. I have very thick hair and roughly 300 medium-sized locs. When I'm dry, she takes out the rods and does not separate the curls at my request. When I decide I want a 'different' look, I'll finger comb out the curls a lil.

Here's a pic of my ponytail from last December. I was a bit blonde back then.

ETA - Prior to putting in the flexirods, my loctician puts liberal amounts of alcohol-free mousse in my hair.

Last edited:
Bumping this one up :yep:
Still locking! 7 months in.
I have been having freeform thoughts but who knows :drunk:
How are the other locked heads doing? I know there are only a few of us...
I don't want to have to call ya'll out :giggle:

Evolving78

i rarely come in on this side of the forum anymore, since i feel like i can't relate, but i am glad to see some loc'ed heads on the board! i am loc'ing now and i'm several months in. it is most certainly a process and not for the weak! lol! but i love what is going with my hair right now. when it comes to loc'ing there is more of What Not To Do, than Do. it seems really simple, but you could really jack up your loc progress if you are not careful.

eyunka

shortdub78
Can you explain more, my son is in the process of locing and i would like to know what's in store for the future?

TIA
i rarely come in on this side of the forum anymore, since i feel like i can't relate, but i am glad to see some loc'ed heads on the board! i am loc'ing now and i'm several months in. it is most certainly a process and not for the weak! lol! but i love what is going with my hair right now. when it comes to loc'ing there is more of What Not To Do, than Do. it seems really simple, but you could really jack up your loc progress if you are not careful.

bludaydreamr

Thanks for posting ladies! I think there are quite a few on the board that have thoughts of locking; I know I have always loved the look and wanted to lock years before I even thought of going natural. I have always told myself when I was ready I would lock my hair. These are the locks I have absolutely fallen in love with:

I want my locks to be about this size!

If I were to freeform, I would only hope my hair would be as beautiful!

ETA: sorry the pics are so big!

Raspberry

Great to see a locs thread! My 3 year locaversary is coming up this month and I'm loving it :) My locs are layered and hitting BSL at their longest point in the back. Went thru a lot of changes the first two years but since then it's been a breeze and I'm having fun experimenting with curls, up-dos, etc. Having cute long easy hair is priceless! I'll be back to this thread to post pics

goldielocs

I thought I'd posted in here already!!!

I'm halfway through year 8 with my babies and still going strong!!! I'm thinking about keeping them at TL once my hemline thickens. These things are getting heavy- lol. I'm loving all these locs ladies on the LHCF!!!

Evolving78

shortdub78
Can you explain more, my son is in the process of locing and i would like to know what's in store for the future?

TIA

i am so sorry that i am so late! well from my experience thus far, i need to keep my hair and scalp clean as possible. i wash once a week and i rinse daily. i don't condition my hair, since i have a texture that will unravel/slip easily with using a cream-based conditioner. i do use a leave-in conditioner once a week. i use products that don't create buildup.(certain gels, creamy pomades, beeswax, etc...) i wrap/tie my hair up when i'm in the house, sleep, cleaning, etc... to prevent lint, dust, and dirt, to get into my locs. i don't use moisturizing shampoos, only clear/clarifying, since they don't leave residue and cause unraveling.

i am going through the teenage stage right now. since i rinse my hair and scalp daily, my roots become unraveled and puffy, so my hair doesn't look perfectly neat/manicured until my next retwist. i am cool with that. that is a big part of the process. a person that is loc'ing has to consider that they will have frizz and puffy roots. i chose the twisting/palmrolling method for my locs (traditional). i like the look of traditional locs, but they tend to unravel than other methods, so that is something to consider as well.

locs are a mental/emotional process. your state of mind goes through a journey as well. you have to let go and allow your hair to go through the process. it could take several months to a couple of years before your locs become mature. being loc'ed vs loose natural is totally from each other. you have to accept that your hair is not going to conform to what you want it to do at the moment. you have to find ways to work with your hair vs going against the process. trying to make your locs conform will slow the process down, could cause thinning and breakage. you have to be gentle with your locs. you can't shampoo your hair like you could being a loose natural. and what i mean by that is there is a different technique for washing/shampooing your locs. you have to make sure your hair is fully dry before going to bed to covering it up and night because this could cause mildew/mold in your locs. locs hold on to everything that comes into contact with them, from the environment, smells, products, etc... so you have to be diligent in protecting your locs.

i know that this sounds like a lot, but i do less things to my hair and use less products. i have my moments when i get bored with my locs, or think i should have had them parted differently. oh, that another thing, your reallly have to take into consideration of the size and parting method that you chose for your locs.
i hope i didn't go on information overload, but loc'ing is a different world. like i stated before, i can't seem to relate at all to the hair board anymore. as far as length is concerned, it might take a few years to get to a decent length. so as far a people thinking you are going to have all of this long hair, is not so true in the beginning stages. your hair has to shrink, tangle, condense, compact, etc..., before even thinking about the length. also, i really don't have much room to be a product junkie either, since a lot of things that i used before would cause buildup in my locs.