Longtime Natural has texturized

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
Hi Ladies! I haven't been posting here in ages but I still have been lurking regularly. After being natural for 5 years I decided to try a texturizer. I have only had it a few days but I wanted to post about it for 2 reasons. One is that I wanted to add my experience to the pool of those with texturizers and be honest and up front about how it works out for me so as to be of some help to others. I was searching this site for info when I was making my decision and found it helpful and the posts very honest. The second reason is that I wanted to give a BIG recommendation to the lady who cut my hair. Her name is Tunithia K. and she works at the JC Penny salon at Southcenter in Seattle, WA. She did an outstanding job, I don't think I've ever had a better haircut. I wanted it shaped in an angular bob but it was difficult to achieve what I wanted because the front part of my hair does not grow very long (just above my forehead is my trouble spot). She hooked it up for me and spent like less than 5 minutes cutting. I got between 3-7 inches cut. I wanted a cut for so long but terrified of getting another dissappointment.

I had so much fun growing my hair out napptural and learned so much about it during that time. The longest my hair got was 16inches! My decision to texturize was really out of curiosity more than frustration with my hair. It is by no means necessarily a permanent thing. The most important thing I've learned while being natural is that no one need be locked into a hair routine due to lack of options. ;) I still have a vision of returning to a twa someday and this time I will have fun with it and not be obsessed with growing it out. I wanna dye it blue-violet!:D

Oh, of course I have pictures!

http://public.fotki.com/jetcitygirl/

ooops, better change my siggy

Robin41

JCG, thanks for sharing your story and your pics. You didn't say whether you liked your new texture or what the differences are now that you're not fully natural anymore. Are your styling options different now that you're texturized and is your hair more manageable?

Anyway, I hope you like it. BTW, I love my JC Pennys stylist too. They're a little pricey but very professional.

DelightfulFlame

cute cut!!! I was surprised to see that the texturizer seems to have defined your curls. I expected to see more waves with your texture. Interesting.

firecracker

I like your hair both ways. I really love your cut. I am interested in hearing how you like the new texture versus the old texture. Are you using the same products now or planning on expanding? Girl you gotta share.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Jetcity,
Did you get a texturizer to have the option to straighten easier but maintain your texture? Your natural hair before this was loosely curly and wavy, the same look a texturizer gives.

Peachtree

Hey Jet :wave:

I have been trying to view ur pics on "smugmug" for the longest (is that the name of the other site u had???)... but I couldn't find ur account :(

Glad u decided to make this thread :)

Ur hair looks great!!! I :love: :love: ur cut!!! If I could "self" shape my hair, I would opt for the same cut. I luv the wedgy shapes. :love:

... yeah, i'm surprised that the texturizer enhanced/defined ur curls. I imagined they would have been more large s-wavy.... other way (natural or text), u have very beautiful hair. Been one of my inspirations throughout my transition :)

... enjoy ur "new" journey!!!

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
Thank you ladies for the positive feedback. To answer some of the questions, the texturizer makes it simpler for me to wash and go wearing my hair out and still maintain some length. When my natural hair got longer I found I had to put it up in someway in order to dry, like a ponytail or something, so it didn't get matted and tangled. Plus it shrinks unevenly in it's natural state when left loose to dry. I am one who likes to wear my hair out 90% of the time and I since I exercise and rinse my hair often, I really wasn't able to wear it out much natural unless I blowdried, which required another slew of products. That is what made me consider a texturizer over a year ago. I put the idea out of my head at first because I was afraid it would make my hair too straight and limp. My natural hair is also very curly but because I dry it in ponytails it flattens out the curls and it looks more frizzy/wavy in the pics. My estimation is that the texturizer loosens the curl a bit and makes it less frizzy, and slightly elongated. Not a whole lot though! For which I'm greatful. I wanted to loose some of the frizz but keep my volume which I think worked out.
My hair is less curly/defined on top naturally and the texturizer makes it straighter but puffy and not curly on top. I expected this from what people have said who have gotten texturizers so I planned a style that would not require curls on top. I just swoop it down behind my ear.
Basically I just rinse it in the shower, apply products, do a little finger curling and let it air dry. Just the routine I was looking for! I've gotten consistantly favorable results so far. It shrinks quickly while drying but seems to stop shrinking at a set point unlike my natural hair which might shrink a little or a lot depending on the weather conditions, etc...:p I probably could have achieved a similar look on my natural hair, but because my hair shrinks most at the top/crown area it would have required some sort of set or way to keep it from frizzing and shrinking. I doubt it would have lasted throughout the day.
I will update my album later this week with more pics of natural hair, some comparison shots and products used and such.

thickness

I love your cut! How did you explain to her how you wanted it cut? The texturizer looks good too, your curls really pop! Glad to see you back posting.

Mystic

Your hair looks very nice and the cut frames and fits your face very well. Your texturizer result looks very natural.

hopeful

ivanay said:
Your hair looks very nice and the cut frames and fits your face very well. Your texturizer result looks very natural.

I agree. Your hair is very pretty.

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
I am having a great time getting caught up viewing everybody's albums. So many beautiful heads of hair, I keep getting inspired.
Brownshugaz: Wow your hair is so beautiful and long. How long have you been natural?

Robin41: My hair is basically less frizzy than when natural and the curls form uniformly the length of my strand. As a natural my hair tended to curl on the ends and be puffy/frizzy at the roots. As far as styling options, I'm not planning on wearing straight styles, I just wanted to be able to wear my hair out and go from wet to dry hair in an hour or two rather than the 24-36 hours it took wearing it in a ponytail to dry. It wasn't that hard to manage as a natural but I had trouble finding easy styles other than ponytail or floppy afro. I don't have time or patience for sets, twists and those things that I admire so much on others.

MeccaMedinah: Took a peek at your album. I love, love,love your scarf/puff hairstyle. Your hair has grown tremendously and has such a nice texture.

DelightfulFlame: I checked out your album and saw that you recently texurized your hair too. I will be checking for updates on the regular! Do you cut/trim your own hair too? I like how it came out.

Firecracker: I'm using different products but still experimenting. I'm going to update my album maybe this weekend with products used and their effects on natural vs tex'd hair.

PEACHTREE!: You are the long hair diva! I've never seen anybody but you do the BIG CHOP with like 47inches of natural hair grown out in 6 months, lol! I've never gotten a texturizer before this one and I admit to being curious what it would do. Like you I thought it would flatten out my hair, but I'm happy that it enhanced my curls.

sarica: I will be lurking your album very soon. You're 9months post touchup? Definately going to have some questions for you.

thickness: Well, I just told her that I wanted it in a bob and she took it from there. My cut is totally her interpretation and takes into effect my hair texture. It is not really what I was envisioning but fortunately for me it came out better than what I was thinking. I was thinking that my hair would be straighter and more of a blunt bob. I like this MUCH better.

Just wanted to say thanks again and it's good to be back here. Now I'm off to continue saving albums to my favorites...:D

sareca

jetcitygirl said:
I am having a great time getting caught up viewing everybody's albums. So many beautiful heads of hair, I keep getting inspired.
Brownshugaz: Wow your hair is so beautiful and long. How long have you been natural?

Robin41: My hair is basically less frizzy than when natural and the curls form uniformly the length of my strand. As a natural my hair tended to curl on the ends and be puffy/frizzy at the roots. As far as styling options, I'm not planning on wearing straight styles, I just wanted to be able to wear my hair out and go from wet to dry hair in an hour or two rather than the 24-36 hours it took wearing it in a ponytail to dry. It wasn't that hard to manage as a natural but I had trouble finding easy styles other than ponytail or floppy afro. I don't have time or patience for sets, twists and those things that I admire so much on others.

MeccaMedinah: Took a peek at your album. I love, love,love your scarf/puff hairstyle. Your hair has grown tremendously and has such a nice texture.

DelightfulFlame: I checked out your album and saw that you recently texurized your hair too. I will be checking for updates on the regular! Do you cut/trim your own hair too? I like how it came out.

Firecracker: I'm using different products but still experimenting. I'm going to update my album maybe this weekend with products used and their effects on natural vs tex'd hair.

PEACHTREE!: You are the long hair diva! I've never seen anybody but you do the BIG CHOP with like 47inches of natural hair grown out in 6 months, lol! I've never gotten a texturizer before this one and I admit to being curious what it would do. Like you I thought it would flatten out my hair, but I'm happy that it enhanced my curls.

sarica: I will be lurking your album very soon. You're 9months post touchup? Definately going to have some questions for you

thickness: Well, I just told her that I wanted it in a bob and she took it from there. My cut is totally her interpretation and takes into effect my hair texture. It is not really what I was envisioning but fortunately for me it came out better than what I was thinking. I was thinking that my hair would be straighter and more of a blunt bob. I like this MUCH better.

Just wanted to say thanks again and it's good to be back here. Now I'm off to continue saving albums to my favorites...:D

I am 9 months post and going strong. I'm going to deep condition well for the next 3 weeks, then I'm back in braid for 2 months (until the end of Oct). That'll make takedown 2 weeks before my touchup (Nov 15). I can't wait! I love both textures just not at the same time. :ohwell:

dynamic1

:eek: your hair looks lovely. You were one of my hair inspirations when I started lurking on the boards. I was wondered where you were. I checked for updates on your link and did not see photos. Glad your back and happy with the new look. :)

Lucia

Welcome back
Wow your hair looks gorgeous both ways, what kind of relaxer, or texturizer did you use? How's the styling time now vs. being natural? does your hair feel/or is it dryer than before? I know I'm asking alot but I'm curious

Last edited: