Lord Help us All

Galadriel

I am in full agreement with you ladies about guarding your heart/mind, eyes, and ears! Its hard out here for a saint!

I think the biggest difference between what @Galadriel & @JaneBond007 and I am saying is that in Catholicism, the predisposition/inclination toward a specific activity that is wrong is only wrong if one engages in the actual activity/sin. (Are their any other things categorized as disorders besides sexual sins in Catholicism?).

Found a great post entry by a person who suffers bipolar disorder who touches upon how suffering from a psychological disorder has parallel struggles to suffering from the disorder of SSA:

------

Bipolar Disorder is, obviously to most people, a disorder. Same-sex attraction is, according to the Church, “objectively disordered.” The Courage apostolate has a good explanation of what objective disorder is and why people should not identify as “gay” or “lesbian.”
The term “objective disorder” is a philosophical term. It is used to describe homosexual attractions because such attractions can never lead to a morally good sexual act. It is objected that if a man lusts for a woman or vice versa, this too is an objective disorder. This latter example is not an objective disorder, because, if the man or woman learns to control their heterosexual attraction, and wills to express it in the natural state of marriage, it is a good thing.
In a nutshell, attraction to someone of the opposite sex is a natural thing that God puts into people for obvious reasons. Because of the Fall, people aren’t always born perfectly healthy. Anything about you (anything) can be “broken.” A baby born with a cleft palate is not less a person than any other baby. Thankfully, God has given the vast majority of us a natural desire to see such a child’s mouth repaired. Someone who has a desire to leave such a child in a mutilated condition, or to have their child’s mouth mutilated through surgery, has a desire that is “objectively disordered.” It is “objectively disordered” because it is neither natural to have such a desire, nor is it in keeping with God’s will for us.

So it is with same-sex attraction and also with suicidal ideation that people with Bipolar Disorder experience. Unfortunately, also because of human nature, if it became more popular for children to have a mutilated mouth, more and more people would begin to agree that it is bad to treat a child with cleft palate. They might even say it is “hateful” to say cleft palate is a “disorder” that should be treated. Thankfully, we are not in such a world with cleft palate, but we are in such a world with same-sex attraction, where it is considered “hateful” to say that same-sex attraction is objectively disordered. “I was born this way” is supposed to be enough to advance that argument, but children with cleft palate were also “born that way.”

Like people with same-sex attraction, people with Bipolar Disorder frequently deal with a disordered desire — suicidal ideation.

It is not natural, nor is it in keeping with God’s will, for someone to want to end his own life. The desire to end one’s own life is objectively disordered. It is also not natural, nor is it in keeping with God’s will, for someone to want to have sexual relations with someone of the same gender. Suicidal ideation and same-sex attraction are both objectively disordered.

I promise you, when I write about same-sex attraction, I am thinking of myself because I have Bipolar Disorder and suicidal ideation, so there is no “bigotry” involved in my discussion of this issue. The reason that I think it is important that I speak on this issue is because I have real-life experience with avoiding disorder and seeking God’s will instead of what my brain is telling me to do.

Desires that are disordered will lead us away from God. If I, as someone with Bipolar Disorder, want to kill myself, I am not thinking in accordance with God’s will for me. I cannot really help having suicidal ideation. It comes as the result of a physical condition that science still, thankfully, classifies as a “disorder.” People with Bipolar Disorder are at high risk for suicide. One in five people with Bipolar Disorder commit suicide. I would guess that close to 100% experience suicidal ideation (which is the equivalent of “same-sex attraction” philosophically speaking.)

Unfortunately, scientists no longer classify same-sex attraction as “disorder.” God still does, though, and He allows it to occur in people the same as He allows other disorders to occur in people, like cleft palate, so that His glory might be manifest in the world as people minister to them in their struggles, helping them to be the saint God made them to be, and as they carry their Cross in the world….just like people with Bipolar Disorder need people to minister to them and help them to be the people God made them to be...

http://www.catholicbandita.com/objective-disorder-and-the-cross/

CoilyFields

Found a great post entry by a person who suffers bipolar disorder who touches upon how suffering from a psychological disorder has parallel struggles to suffering from the disorder of SSA:

------

Bipolar Disorder is, obviously to most people, a disorder. Same-sex attraction is, according to the Church, “objectively disordered.” The Courage apostolate has a good explanation of what objective disorder is and why people should not identify as “gay” or “lesbian.”
The term “objective disorder” is a philosophical term. It is used to describe homosexual attractions because such attractions can never lead to a morally good sexual act. It is objected that if a man lusts for a woman or vice versa, this too is an objective disorder. This latter example is not an objective disorder, because, if the man or woman learns to control their heterosexual attraction, and wills to express it in the natural state of marriage, it is a good thing.
In a nutshell, attraction to someone of the opposite sex is a natural thing that God puts into people for obvious reasons. Because of the Fall, people aren’t always born perfectly healthy. Anything about you (anything) can be “broken.” A baby born with a cleft palate is not less a person than any other baby. Thankfully, God has given the vast majority of us a natural desire to see such a child’s mouth repaired. Someone who has a desire to leave such a child in a mutilated condition, or to have their child’s mouth mutilated through surgery, has a desire that is “objectively disordered.” It is “objectively disordered” because it is neither natural to have such a desire, nor is it in keeping with God’s will for us.

So it is with same-sex attraction and also with suicidal ideation that people with Bipolar Disorder experience. Unfortunately, also because of human nature, if it became more popular for children to have a mutilated mouth, more and more people would begin to agree that it is bad to treat a child with cleft palate. They might even say it is “hateful” to say cleft palate is a “disorder” that should be treated. Thankfully, we are not in such a world with cleft palate, but we are in such a world with same-sex attraction, where it is considered “hateful” to say that same-sex attraction is objectively disordered. “I was born this way” is supposed to be enough to advance that argument, but children with cleft palate were also “born that way.”

Like people with same-sex attraction, people with Bipolar Disorder frequently deal with a disordered desire — suicidal ideation.

It is not natural, nor is it in keeping with God’s will, for someone to want to end his own life. The desire to end one’s own life is objectively disordered. It is also not natural, nor is it in keeping with God’s will, for someone to want to have sexual relations with someone of the same gender. Suicidal ideation and same-sex attraction are both objectively disordered.

I promise you, when I write about same-sex attraction, I am thinking of myself because I have Bipolar Disorder and suicidal ideation, so there is no “bigotry” involved in my discussion of this issue. The reason that I think it is important that I speak on this issue is because I have real-life experience with avoiding disorder and seeking God’s will instead of what my brain is telling me to do.

Desires that are disordered will lead us away from God. If I, as someone with Bipolar Disorder, want to kill myself, I am not thinking in accordance with God’s will for me. I cannot really help having suicidal ideation. It comes as the result of a physical condition that science still, thankfully, classifies as a “disorder.” People with Bipolar Disorder are at high risk for suicide. One in five people with Bipolar Disorder commit suicide. I would guess that close to 100% experience suicidal ideation (which is the equivalent of “same-sex attraction” philosophically speaking.)

Unfortunately, scientists no longer classify same-sex attraction as “disorder.” God still does, though, and He allows it to occur in people the same as He allows other disorders to occur in people, like cleft palate, so that His glory might be manifest in the world as people minister to them in their struggles, helping them to be the saint God made them to be, and as they carry their Cross in the world….just like people with Bipolar Disorder need people to minister to them and help them to be the people God made them to be...

http://www.catholicbandita.com/objective-disorder-and-the-cross/

Thanks for the example!!!

CoilyFields

My two best friends in college were non-denominational, and we're still friends today. I used to joke with them all the time about non-denominational being a denomination. :lol:

You'll notice I didn't say non-denomination :lol: because you're right, it is becoming its own denomination. :spinning:

MrsHaseeb

And unchaste women get HPV, heterosexual couples get throat cancer for fellatio...and the list goes on and on. Shrugs. There's something for everybody.

What I'm getting at is that sex is sex...but that there's an ordained way that is holy. G-d may not see "nasty" as we do. He may not go "ewww" either. To cross the line towards sin might be a billionth of a hair's width. And the level of destestableness (is that a word?? lol) might not be contained in those graphics...but in the very simple fact that new life was not promoted in the act. Afterall, G-d gave a command to the world to "be fertile and increase" Gen. 1:28 and to go against His will for the earth carries grave consequences. Why does G-d want a world filled with people? To give Him company? He doesn't need us...but we need Him and perhaps He wants to show us His unending mercy? I dunno cuz He's complex beyond any of our understanding.

Maybe we are too involved in the "ewww" factor and looking at the wrong direction for why G-d calls it detestable? Of course, I'm partly focusing on the level of disgust that people have towards gays. It's truly no different from racists looking down at minorities in church. Yet, because of the nature of the sin, the plank despises the splinter.

Hi, I just want to say this... Heterosexual sex within God's parameters will never produce sexually transmitted diseases and such like. All sexual sin has consequences. Homosexual sex will always have negative repurcussions no matter what whether itsvthe same sex or whether is opposite sex doing homosexual acts (I.e. anal and oral sex). OK, done :)

Last edited:

MSee

It's sad when people use church doctrine, peoples stories, intelligent sounding arguments and reasoning, etc. to refute or tear down scriptural truth. Jesus had the same issue with religious leaders back in the day

Mark 7
6 He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:
“‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
7 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’

8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”
9 And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!

I do not comprehend why anyone should be impressed by a doctrine or teaching that cannot even be upheld by those who should be teaching it. Did those priests who raped, sodomized and ripped the innocence from children and young people, not know that they were to keep their "disorder" to themselves and under control? Didn't they too give council to those with homosexual tendencies? Don't they know that they as teachers will be judged more strictly?

James 3:1 Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.
Then again the scripture does allude to the fact that following man made rules and solutions doesn't restrain sensual indulgence. Deliverance from anything contrary to the true order of God, comes not through man's wisdom and teachings and intelligent sounding theories, it comes only through the power of Jesus Christ.

Colossians 2:23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Christ alone went to the cross to be the savior and deliverer of those who will receive Him in truth and on God's terms. God will not alter His truth for any religious institution, no matter how appealing their doctrine sounds. Anything that goes against God's order is sin, no matter what else we try to call it and if we truly love others as God instruct us to do we will point them to Christ for the deliverance from sin or disorder or whatever other term we may want to use, whether it be homosexuality or any other.

Sin begins in the mind. Jesus pointed that out in the verses that others used in this thread and Roman's 1 takes it even further by pointing out that when God's truth is ignored, homosexual desires and tendencies tend to creep right in among the people who should know God. Sadly, this is the fate of many religious institutions today and instead of seeing it for what it is and repenting and turning their followers back to God and His truth...we have speeches like that of the Pope's.

Romans 1
18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

As I read this thread few other scriptures came to mind, and frankly they speak loud and clear and demands no explanation.

2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

1 Timothy 4:1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.

Thanks MrsHaseeb and others for standing up for truth. These types of threads have been coming up for years and it never ceases to amaze me how some prefer to ignore or even try to refute scripture and seduce others to believe man made doctrines and reasoning. But it happens and will till Jesus returns. May God help us all.

JaneBond007

The Pope said it, media and non-catholics misinterpreted it, catholics defend it, non-catholics don't like it....it was to the catholic church. You don't have to like it. Just be fair. Disagreements are one thing, but to charge fellow believers with heresy is serious. We don't see eye-to-eye on HOW to perceive gay people and to love them as Christ commands. That is absolutely no reason to say that catholics don't follow scriptural truth. The bad side of some of the Pharisees? Good L-rd. Tis why I'll reiterate...it's pointless to try and correct catholic interpretation via protestant interpretation when one can just agree to disagree. But mind you, if someone doesn't comprehend and asks for the explanation, please know, it's always going to be a catholic one when dealing with the Pope and the RCC. That is NOT seduction. You don't like it, fine, just don't make a mistake and call it deceptive heresy. SMH.

Last edited:

MrsHaseeb

It's sad when people use church doctrine, peoples stories, intelligent sounding arguments and reasoning, etc. to refute or tear down scriptural truth. Jesus had the same issue with religious leaders back in the day

Mark 7
6 He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”
9 And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!

I do not comprehend why anyone should be impressed by a doctrine or teaching that cannot even be upheld by those who should be teaching it. Did those priests who raped, sodomized and ripped the innocence from children and young people, not know that they were to keep their "disorder" to themselves and under control? Didn't they too give council to those with homosexual tendencies? Don't they know that they as teachers will be judged more strictly?

James 3:1 Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.
Then again the scripture does allude to the fact that following man made rules and solutions doesn't restrain sensual indulgence. Deliverance from anything contrary to the true order of God, comes not through man's wisdom and teachings and intelligent sounding theories, it comes only through the power of Jesus Christ.

Colossians 2:23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Christ alone went to the cross to be the savior and deliverer of those who will receive Him in truth and on God's terms. God will not alter His truth for any religious institution, no matter how appealing their doctrine sounds. Anything that goes against God's order is sin, no matter what else we try to call it and if we truly love others as God instruct us to do we will point them to Christ for the deliverance from sin or disorder or whatever other term we may want to use, whether it be homosexuality or any other.

Sin begins in the mind. Jesus pointed that out in the verses that others used in this thread and Roman's 1 takes it even further by pointing out that when God's truth is ignored, homosexual desires and tendencies tend to creep right in among the people who should know God. Sadly, this is the fate of many religious institutions today and instead of seeing it for what it is and repenting and turning their followers back to God and His truth...we have speeches like that of the Pope's.

Romans 1
18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

As I read this thread few other scriptures came to mind, and frankly they speak loud and clear and demands no explanation.

2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

1 Timothy 4:1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.

Thanks MrsHaseeb and others for standing up for truth. These types of threads have been coming up for years and it never ceases to amaze me how some prefer to ignore or even try to refute scripture and seduce others to believe man made doctrines and reasoning. But it happens and will till Jesus returns. May God help us all.

Sis....TELL.THE.TRUTH. You made it plain.

MSee

The Pope said it, media and non-catholics misinterpreted it, catholics defend it, non-catholics don't like it....it was to the catholic church. You don't have to like it. Just be fair. Disagreements are one thing, but to charge fellow believers with heresy is serious. We don't see eye-to-eye on HOW to perceive gay people and to love them as Christ commands. That is absolutely no reason to say that catholics don't follow scriptural truth. The bad side of some of the Pharisees? Good L-rd. Tis why I'll reiterate...it's pointless to try and correct catholic interpretation via protestant interpretation when one can just agree to disagree. But mind you, if someone doesn't comprehend and asks for the explanation, please know, it's always going to be a catholic one when dealing with the Pope and the RCC. That is NOT seduction. You don't like it, fine, just don't make a mistake and call it deceptive heresy. SMH.

Had to reread my post to see if I was the one you referred to, but since I charged no one with heresy I'll just keep moving. You were free to give your point of view based on what you believe, I assumed I had that freedom too. May God bless you.

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
While you didn't out right charge heresy, you definitely made some jabs...
I'm just sick of the 'i'm the real christian' delivery some have been posting in lately.
Where's the unity in Christ? :\

JaneBond007

Thanks @MrsHaseeb and others for standing up for truth. These types of threads have been coming up for years and it never ceases to amaze me how some prefer to ignore or even try to refute scripture and seduce others to believe man made doctrines and reasoning. But it happens and will till Jesus returns. May God help us all.

Heresy

a : adherence to a religious opinion contrary to church dogma
b : denial of a revealed truth by a baptized member of the Roman Catholic Church
c : an opinion or doctrine contrary to church dogma
a : dissent or deviation from a dominant theory, opinion, or practice
b : an opinion, doctrine, or practice contrary to the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although, I do admire the semi-direct approach of insult... It shows you have chutzpah albeit misdirected chutzpah. People either don't get or are being obtuse because the point is this: if you don't agree, then "well, I don't agree because doesn't the bible say XYZ?" But what you said was below the belt. And it's unnecessary because...IT WAS ABOUT THE POPE SPEAKING TO CATHOLICS ABOUT AN ISSUE CONCERNING OUR CATECHISM WHICH IS BASED UPON SCRIPTURE AND CHURCH COUNCIL and a "catholic" response was given because it was ASKED. So is your bible...based upon church council. :yep: There was a split, and voila', differences in interpretation. We don't agree but you won't find me going around saying that, basically, people are being seductive and unscriptural if I ask protestants about a protestant issue, directed towards protestants and I receive a protestant response...nor offering disingenuous blessings.

Last edited:

CoilyFields

I'm just sick of the 'i'm the real christian' delivery some have been posting in lately.

menina

One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism!

Let us never be accused as using the Bible as a battle axe...especially against others in the household of faith!

Galadriel

Agreed. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd be accused of being too soft or "tearing down Scriptural truth." :rolleyes:

Galadriel

I don't think you understood what I've been saying. It's fine to disagree or present arguments/counterpoints as I think @CoilyFields has done, but accusing another Christian of "tearing down Scriptural truth" is not only uncharitable, but is also bearing false witness.

Mark 7

Romans 1

Thanks @MrsHaseeb and others for standing up for truth. These types of threads have been coming up for years and it never ceases to amaze me how some prefer to ignore or even try to refute scripture and seduce others to believe man made doctrines and reasoning. But it happens and will till Jesus returns. May God help us all.

Last edited: