Low Manipulation and Dating Don't Mix???

curlyninjagirl

My hair has been in the same 32 braids for 3 weeks now and I ain't gonna lie, my hair is a fuzz ball! I haven't had to really do anything to it since I just hide it under a hat for work (with satin scarf, of course.)

Here I am, going about my merry way living the simple life, when one of my old flames contacts me. We have an hours long conversation which leads to me inviting him over to visit for a while. When he was on his way, I kid you not the first thing I thought was "Oh my lord, what have I done? My hair is a train wreck".

So he comes over, and he's tall and gorgeous as ever and I feel like, even with my attempt to slap on a big headband and bun it, my hair is a beacon of frizz! We chat it up and the subject turns to hair and how we've changed and he looks at my hair and says "I liked your hair the other way". LOL. (I had micro braids when he knew me). I sort of explained that I was growing my real hair out and the process meant messing with it as little as possible. Of course, he suggested flat ironing and I was like UMMM NO.

Anyone have a similar experience? I said I was gonna "go hard" with this hair growing thing, but now that tall-dark-and-gorgeous waltzed back into my life, I gotta think about how to fit him in along with my hair goals.

Solitude

I feel you on this one. I have cornrows in my hair and I planned on keeping them in for 2 weeks, but I have a date on Sunday. Sad to say it, but these braids will likely be coming down on Saturday evening once the Christmas festivities have died down.

I've had men comment on my hair a lot (you have a lot of hair/ your hair looks nice/ is that all of your hair?), but I've never received any extra attention or compliments while wearing a protective style....

I try to compromise by wearing my hair up during the week and down more on the weekends.

iri9109

micro the front.... half wig the back

or sew in

have you done that before? my friends micro the front and sew-in the back...i wish i woulda thought of that back in the day when i wore micros...i woulda saved myself hours of putting in and taking out all those braids

MissLadie

And that is why I wore wigs for almost a year. I had to accept the fact that protective styling with my own hair just wasn't cute on me, lol.

westNDNbeauty

I've been in this plenty of times. I find out what that guy likes (beforehand) and if it is not detrimental to my hair, I apeeze him.

By the title of this thread, it seems that we do care about a man's opinon when it comes to our hair. To think, many ladies weren't cutting me any slack for that segment on my blog ('His Confessions').

Your Cheeziness

There are lots more low manipulation styles out there. Any thread with long term transitioners, who have to use low manipulation styles is a great place to start. Just start experimenting with more styles.

Qtee

Girl when I was growing my TWA out and I just started dating my man..I wig'd it...my hair was in cornrolls under..I kept it moisturized and rebraided every couple of weeks..but I couldnt walk around look a HAM...

Ms Lala

If you are natural there are a TON of lovely protective styles you can do that will last for a week or more. That's all I wear most of the time and then you can give yourself the weekends off or something. It doesn't sound like dating is the problem or low manipulation, you have to find a style that is healthy for your hair and that you still feel confident wearing.