Low manipulation regimens...

alexstin

2buttonsnow3 said:
The reason I ask, I am a :newbie: by the way. While reading alot of post alot of women seem to do co wash 2 x a week or even 3 x a week.
so r u saying it is ok if u dont wash ur hair for a 5-7 day's or 3 weeks and your hair will thrive. I just want to understand correctly

tina :confused:

You'll learn that what works for one doesn't work for all. Many wash 2x/wk or 2x/month and are succesful with it.:)

sylver2

2buttonsnow3 said:
I:confused: have a question ? Some of you ladies mentioned u don't wash for 7 day's or 3 weeks does that include co -wash too?

For me, no washing whatsoever either until wash time

Sistaslick

It's amazing how different we all are! :yep:

I'm so jealous of y'all going 2 and 3 weeks without washing. :mad: :cry3: I can't even picture going a whole week without something :nono: And 2 weeks without a comb-- my hair would shed and mat to high heaven by wash day.

My scalp is on FIRE and my hair gets really crazy by day 3. I'm one of those folks that thrives off frequent hydration and conditioning. My hair did not start taking off until I started addressing the hydration issue. Other than that, my regimen is pretty simple. I only comb on wash days, moisturize, seal, and bun or set it for a twistout. I wear that for 3 days, wash and start over.

I also do that Chinese bun Rootdeep! Here is a link to the thread of mine: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=75839&highlight=chinese with instructions.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I wash every two weeks (no con washing in-between), air-dry and flat iron. During the week I moisturize daily or every other day and sleep in a banded ponytial w/ a knocker on the end, lol.

Last edited:

inthepink

rootdeep said:
I keep it as simple as possible. I go to my stylist and get a wash every 2 weeks FAITHFULLY. One week I wear it down the next it goes up. I'm going to either play around with wetting my ends with oil and my water/conditioner mix and do a roller set OR I've been eyeing this bun all day. Printing it out now...http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/chinese-bun/

Wow - when I saw your link, I went ahead and tried this bun and it's so easy and sooo cute!! I can't wait to wear this more! How neat! Thanks for posting!

inthepink

CarLiTa said:
I wash twice a week but i would honestly love to wash once a week and not have to worry about manipulating my hair for a whole 7 days....

IF ONLY i knew how to rollerset! my life would be SO much easier. the MAIN reason why i wash twice a week is because my hair gets dry and tangled after 3 days with airdrying these days.

i KNOW for sure that if i were to rollerset, the moisture would really seal in, my hair would be healthier, WOULD LOOK CUTE, and not a hot mess like it does sometimes, and everything would be great.

sad thing is, i'm 2 weeks away from being a broke college student at a predominantly white school, dont know where i could find someone to rollerset for me. oughta learn how to do it myself, huh?

Carlita - Practice makes perfect. My first rollerset was just ok. My second one was nearly perfect. Third was ok but better than the first. You just have to set your mind to it and do it. Macherieamour has a great tutorial.

inthepink

How do you guys go for two weeks without your scalp getting flaky or ends getting dry? When I was relaxed, I always went for 2 weeks now as a natural who straightens, I can barely seem to make it a week.

MizaniMami

Sistaslick said:
It's amazing how different we all are! :yep:

I'm so jealous of y'all going 2 and 3 weeks without washing. :mad: :cry3: I can't even picture going a whole week without something :nono: And 2 weeks without a comb-- my hair would shed and mat to high heaven by wash day.

My scalp is on FIRE and my hair gets really crazy by day 3. I'm one of those folks that thrives off frequent hydration and conditioning. My hair did not start taking off until I started addressing the hydration issue. Other than that, my regimen is pretty simple. I only comb on wash days, moisturize, seal, and bun or set it for a twistout. I wear that for 3 days, wash and start over.

I also do that Chinese bun Rootdeep! Here is a link to the thread of mine: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=75839&highlight=chinese with instructions.

Do you believe int he theory that conditioner only last 3-4 days? That seems to be sooo true for my hair.

Also, I see you are loving Kenra. What are you using from this line that you love?

sassyhair

Does low manipulation have to mean no combing until wash day...or once a week? I comb my dry hair once a day and then at night I comb my ends with moisturizer and smooth on a roller.

Sistaslick

MizaniMami said:
Do you believe int he theory that conditioner only last 3-4 days? That seems to be sooo true for my hair.

Also, I see you are loving Kenra. What are you using from this line that you love?

Hmmm, I'm not sure but there's probably something to it. I'm sure it would depend on the conditioner in question, how long its applied, and the porosity of the person's hair. I do know that every 3-4 days my hair starts acting funky and needs to be washed and conditioned again- probably because my hair is double processed. Relaxing with a permanent color means I really have to stay on top of my conditioning, or problems will start to crop up. I have to be diligent about that or I'm sure it'll mean chopping down the line. :ohwell:

I'm using 1.) Kenra clarifying/chelating shampoo 2.) Kenra moisturizing shampoo 3.) Kenra Moisturizing conditioner 4.) and Kenra Daily Provision leave in conditioner. My favorites are the conditioner and the leave in conditioner . . . and I love that the line is so moisturizing from the clarifying poo to the leave-in. So far, its perfect for my double processed hair. I've been on it exclusively for about a month and half, so I'm just getting settled.:lol:

LovelyLionessa

I so want to get on board with this low manipulation styling regime . I have begun to implement washing once a week into my regimen and with my new found love of Maxigliding I would love to even extend my wash cycles even further to once every 2 weeks. It seems totally doable, especially with the cooler temps of fall coming soon. I washed this morning with the low manipualtion shampoo regimen from the Crown & Glory site, where you keep your hair in braids while washing. I absolutely loathe seeing a hair that's not on my head whether it's broken or simply shed, I get twitched out. :look:

So, it's definitely time for me to start simplfying and keep manipulation to the bare minimum. :yep:

Last edited:

MizaniMami

Sistaslick said:
Hmmm, I'm not sure but there's probably something to it. I'm sure it would depend on the conditioner in question, how long its applied, and the porosity of the person's hair. I do know that every 3-4 days my hair starts acting funky and needs to be washed and conditioned again- probably because my hair is double processed. Relaxing with a permanent color means I really have to stay on top of my conditioning, or problems will start to crop up. I have to be diligent about that or I'm sure it'll mean chopping down the line. :ohwell:

I'm using 1.) Kenra clarifying/chelating shampoo 2.) Kenra moisturizing shampoo 3.) Kenra Moisturizing conditioner 4.) and Kenra Daily Provision leave in conditioner. My favorites are the conditioner and the leave in conditioner . . . and I love that the line is so moisturizing from the clarifying poo to the leave-in. So far, its perfect for my double processed hair. I've been on it exclusively for about a month and half, so I'm just getting settled.:lol:

I didn't know you had permanent color. Now if you say the Kenra is good, then I GOTTA try it. Thanks. My next splurge will be Kenra.

beyondcute

This sumemr I did soemthign terrible... I havent been doing anythign meaninful to my ahir. Ive been swimming and not wasing. Hell a few weeks back I went 2 weeks without even combing my hair, much less wash it. I wash it when I feel like it. It gets tangled but nothign a lil keracare humecto cant take care of in the shower. Im seriously getting aggitated by my relaxed ends... They are scaggely and the mroe and mroe I deal with themthe mroe I realize they are the problem as far as tangles. Ive discovered the magic of wash and gos and ponytails. I bruched my hair into a pony one day after swimming and left it liek that for a week... Chlorine and all... I swear I SHOULD be bald but I have some strong ish on my head! Cant wait to post pics :lachen:

Sistaslick

MizaniMami said:
I didn't know you had permanent color. Now if you say the Kenra is good, then I GOTTA try it. Thanks. My next splurge will be Kenra.

Yeah, it was Dark N Lovely sunkissed auburn or something. I like the color, but I will NEVER EVER use that stuff again, or color my hair on my own. My hair felt like HAY for weeks. I'm surprised my hair didn't spontaneously light on fire it was so dry. :mad:

and bc, you know you are dead wrong:lol: Can't wait to see those pics of that lovely, indestructible errrnge (my bad, sandy:lol: ) hurr of yours.:lachen:

plove

ok here goes

I have micro braid in my hair and I'm almost to the point of No manipulation. I'm down to just washing once a month, ya I know you all don't have to tell me:eek: . I stop trying to redo my braids and I don't tie it down at night. But she told me that she is ok :) . See my hair talks to me and right now she is ok with me. Her name is BSL, because thats how long she wants to be for now. I asked her whats going to happen when she is at BSL. She said she will just change her name because she can do what she wants. I told her Ok you grow girl:lol:

sareca

MizaniMami said:

When I found the precious (thanks to you) I gave all my Kenra away.

Sistaslick

M, make sure you try the Kenra samples first before you purchase the retail sizes-- you ain't finna have my head on a platter if it doesn't work out :lol:

sareca said:
When I found the precious (thanks to you) I gave all my Kenra away.

Now, oooooo, whats the precious :sekret:

sareca

Sistaslick said:
M, make sure you try the Kenra samples first before you purchase the retail sizes-- you ain't finna have my head on a platter if it doesn't work out :lol:

Now, oooooo, whats the precious :sekret:
:lachen:Mami has a pic of Aveda Dr as her avatar that says "My precious." It has become my precious too. But, I must admit Kenra is cheaper than Aveda.

macherieamour

Weekly roller wraps. Thats pretty much it for me. I moisturize and wrap every night. My reggy is in my blog under Hair Maintenance at www.healthytextures.com:)

MizaniMami

sareca said:
:lachen:Mami has a pic of Aveda Dr as her avatar that says "My precious." It has become my precious too. But, I must admit Kenra is cheaper than Aveda.

I called Kenra and they said no samples.:mad:

Where can I get sampless from??

Sareca, girl NOTHING that I have used can replace the precious. I'm still out, and I need to buy more. I'm thinking of going in my savings.:cool: Okay, no, I won't do it.:grin:

sareca

MizaniMami said:
I called Kenra and they said no samples.:mad:

Where can I get sampless from??

Sareca, girl NOTHING that I have used can replace the precious. I'm still out, and I need to buy more. I'm thinking of going in my savings.:cool: Okay, no, I won't do it.:grin:

Oh no, you're out. :shocked: Quick, apply for a bank loan. :lachen:

lonei

2buttonsnow3 said:
I:confused: have a question ? Some of you ladies mentioned u don't wash for 7 day's or 3 weeks does that include co -wash too?

No conditioner washes for me!

lonei

2buttonsnow3 said:
The reason I ask, I am a :newbie: by the way. While reading alot of post alot of women seem to do co wash 2 x a week or even 3 x a week.
so r u saying it is ok if u dont wash ur hair for a 5-7 day's or 3 weeks and your hair will thrive. I just want to understand correctly

tina :confused:

You hav to find out what works for you. I have underprocessed hair which mats together when wet, therefore to wash 2-3 times a week would be asking for major breakage as detangling is quite hard. I wash once every 3 weeks, i rollerset, then flat iron and only comb/add product once a week. My hair thrives by doing this but it may not work for others...

Last edited:

lonei

sassyhair said:
Does low manipulation have to mean no combing until wash day...or once a week? I comb my dry hair once a day and then at night I comb my ends with moisturizer and smooth on a roller.

Thats what I mean by it, or maybe just a few times but not everyday...

devin

sista what did you do to get your hair moisturized again? i have freestyle braids right now, but i know i will need some serious moisture when i take them down. what type of moisturizer did you use and how often? also how long and how often did you deep condition? i think we have similar problems with our hair, b/c my hair craves moisture and can never seem to get enough moisture. it seems i have tried every product in the book. i really looove kenra too and have been using it for months. i am still struggling to find a good leave-in, moisturizer and oil(although i want to try kemi oyl). Thanks!:)

Sistaslick said:
Yeah, it was Dark N Lovely sunkissed auburn or something. I like the color, but I will NEVER EVER use that stuff again, or color my hair on my own. My hair felt like HAY for weeks. I'm surprised my hair didn't spontaneously light on fire it was so dry. :mad:

and bc, you know you are dead wrong:lol: Can't wait to see those pics of that lovely, indestructible errrnge (my bad, sandy:lol: ) hurr of yours.:lachen:

plove

sassyhair said:
plove that was very cute and borderline crazy....lol you grow girl!

:lol::lol::lol:

why do people keep telling me that.:lachen:

You should see the faces people make when I tell them that I'm keeping micro braids in my haiir for 7 months:lachen: