Low Porosity And Protein

MsSanz92

I've seen on both here and YT amongst women with low porosity hair that they tend to stray away from protein, and focus mostly on ways to ensure that their hair stays moisturized. Many women with low porosity hair express that they have protein sensitive hair, and I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to have low porosity hair and not have a protein sensitivity? Now that I've figured out what works for me as far as moisture, I feel as if my hair may need more protein. I've been using mostly moisture heavy products with little to no protein, however I'm thinking about incorporating protein products more frequently because I'm seeing more breakage than I would like (nothing major though.) I know it's not breakage due to dryness, so it must be that my hair needs more protein to add and maintain elasticity so that it doesn't get mushy.

I have two protein products in my arsenal, AphoGee 2 Minute Reconstructor, and the Nexxus Polymedic Reconstructor. All of my favorite deep conditioners and leave ins/moisturizers contain little to no protein. I currently use the Nexxus as needed, and the AphoGee 1x a month (usually after clarifying with a sulfate shampoo). I'm thinking about doing the AphoGee every other week to see how my hair responds since it's a light protein, and the Nexxus every 6-8 weeks. Is there anyone else with low porosity hair who uses protein more frequently, and how is your hair responding to it? Feel free to also list what products you're using.

faithVA

I'm low porosity and use protein regularly without a problem. As long as I leave the protein to my conditioners and stick primarily to keratin protein my hair seems ok with it. I use Komaza's protein for my hard protein. I have use Aphogee 2 minute and some other reconstructors.
Right now I'm trying out Nexxus Emergencee which I have used once. My hair felt great after but I haven't used it enough to rate it yet.

GGsKin

As a low- normal porosity gal, I like to keep up with protein. I use henna too. I always put silk amino acids in my clay mix. They're a wonderfully mild (balancing/ maintaining) protein that never seems build up on my hair or have a negative effect.

I tend to do a harder protein DC with keratin or collagen (Mill Creek Botanicals Jojoba, Aphogee Two-step) every couple of months, or if I feel my hair is not retaining moisture well. My hair like's protein, I just had to find the right types for me.

Evolving78

Protein isn't my friend. lol I will probably use a light protein conditioner in sept, or October. As a natural for me, it just wasn't necessary, until I started messing with color. But protein can really be damaging, and hard to reverse if used too much.