LUSH Rant

Asha's-Hair

So I walked into my local lush store searching for products that you lovely ladies have talked about and came across the R&B moisturiser.
An assistant walk up to me and spoke to me about the product for a while, she told me how much she loved it on her hair, I went with it for a while. She told me how it was great for afro hair and then said "It'll be good for your hair,as you probably don't wash it that often." - :shocked: My eyes widened and my eyebrows raised and replied "Once or twice a week actually" "Oh..." - was her response.

She tried to sell me some Henna Caca Marron products, but she could tell she had annoyed me to the point that she knew I clearly wasn't going to buy anything after her comment and left me to 'browse the shop.'

I walked out straight away.

JeterCrazed

:blush:

Wowwww ...
Call the corporate office. 888 733 5874. Tell them a forum referred you and a bunch of other ladies and you told us your experience because it's a shame you never got to try the products.

I'm sure they'll "straighten it out."

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

HauteHippie

Umm... the salesperson shouldn't make assumptions. She's not down. One can NEVER be down. Period.

Also, most of my friends (who are White and/or Spanish) stopped washing their hair daily in like 8th grade and those who do wash every day or every other day (as opposed to every 3rd day) are actually curly-haired cowashers. But these girls are into hair and shoes and other "girly" stuff. They, too, have hair books. I don't know what the non"girly" girls do.

And if this was a NYC Lush, please give up the location so I can not go there. While some Black women may only wash their hair monthly or whatever, plenty don't. It's another one of those things some people use to make us seem like monkeys. That annoys me. The other annoying thing is the saleswoman talking about what she knows about us, like she knows ish about us! That annoys me.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

LittleLuxe

...hmmm, maybe I'm missing the tone of her voice or facial expression as she said it but...in general black women don't wash their hair that often. Nothing to take offense about, the nature of sebum and oil on our scalp affects our hair differently than it would someone of another race. If we want to do more we can but we don't necessarilly have to because our hair won't become limp, appear dirty, or smell quite as quickly as it would a woman of another race. Hmmm. I'm not quite offended by what she said but maybe there was something I missed in the interaction, shrugs.

kupenda

Sheesh. I'm offended. You shoulda schooled her. Maybe told her that you understand where she's coming from but that comment is not only verrrryyy wrong and untrue, but it's also a generalization that borders on stereotyping. I know she wasn't trying to be a jerk. People make mistakes. But she was wrong for that

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

BrownBetty

Email the store manager and/or corporate. I had a run in with a SA. I satisfied with how the situation was resolved.

Embyra

SMMFH its not her place to ASSUME **** about your routine!! did you take her name? make a complaint i dont even play these days i will write to the manager with tha quickness these days!!

SelahOco

...hmmm, maybe I'm missing the tone of her voice or facial expression as she said it but...in general black women don't wash their hair that often. Nothing to take offense about, the nature of sebum and oil on our scalp affects our hair differently than it would someone of another race. If we want to do more we can but we don't necessarilly have to because our hair won't become limp, appear dirty, or smell quite as quickly as it would a woman of another race. Hmmm. I'm not quite offended by what she said but maybe there was something I missed in the interaction, shrugs.

Maybe you don't offend easily Whig would make life much easier in general. Reading your post I tried to think if another example ... all I could think of is if she offered the op two jars of lotion and said 'take two because you probably wake up super ashy.' Lol....

Anyway, in both cases I would be offended because it's not proper to assume something about a person based on what you think you know about their race. All black people are bit alike and it's rude to treat any customer like you know what they do cause of what color their skin is.

I don't disagree with your point of view though. I can see where you're coming from.

aishasoleil

Yeah... that sales associate really needs a lesson in customer service. Wanna make a sale? Don't make assumptions.

*Now, as far as the definition of "often"... that's subjective. Lol. It doesn't even matter in this situation. Doesn't change the fact that the associate should have been more tactful.

Seraphina

I hear you. It's more about the assumption made, I think. I don't like it when people profess to know things about me that they do not.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a co-worker a while back. I can't even remember what the conversation itself was about, but I remember her responding to something by saying, "Yeah, and I know how slowly black hair grows..." I was like, "HOW and WHAT do you know about that?" Her response...:look: "I don't know." I went on to explain to her...nicely and calmly...that black hair grows just like everyone else but the texture and fragility can make it difficult to retain. My annoyance came from the fact that she didn't know anything, but assumed that she did and seemed so proud and wanted to show off what "knew" about black folks.

isawstars

I have plenty of white friends who wash their hair LESS often than I do! And my boyfriend washes his hair about as often as I wash mine and he is white too. I am stunned that she said that to you.

FYI, I ordered the R&B moisturizer and it did nothing for my hair. I had texlaxed hair at the time and it just made it smell nice but feel greasy. The only thing I like from lush is the curly whurly shampoo but I stopped using it bc pieces of coconut ALWAYS got stuck in my curls. It made it look like I had huge chunks of dandruff, so I gave to my roommate.

I also had a bad experience with their customer service. I am never purchasing their products again.

Last edited:

natstar

She probably didnt mean any harm but just didnt think before she spoke. I wouldn't take offense but I can definitely see how you would be annoyed. I would have walked out too. Its not right to lump people together. Also, I remember going into a Lush store last month but I had a different experience. I actually bought the R &B (haven't used it yet) and asked for a sample of the American Cream conditioner. There was mostly white salespeople. The sales rep was really helpful, giving GENERAL info about what the hair products do and wanted me to tell her how the products worked for me when I revisted.

JeterCrazed

Lol..white

Ok. Lol
I know some white girls on another forum who don't wash their hair at all. They're in the nwso challenge.
No water sebum only.
I didn't assume the girl was white, tho. Another reason I didn't get what u were trying to say. Thought u meant all the girls at Lush.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

greenandchic

I would have been offended, but there is a fine line.

I was JUST at a Lush store not even an hour ago to see how the SA relate about my hair, LOL. She did see that its pretty curly in the bun and assumed that its very thick and tends to be dry. She was at least right about the dryness factor. "Thick" is subjective.

As with natstar's experience, she was very help with giving general information on their hair and skin care products.

To the OP, I would definitely report her to management.

LittleLuxe

Like I said maybe it was something I just didn't quite perceive the same. From the OP it seemed like the girl came up to her polite and friendly and just said the wrong thing. Now if she said it and was looking at OP like she was trying to count the dust mites she assumed she had crawling around in her hair then yeah...that def.deserves some "Good day ma'am!" and walking out immediately.

Assumptions make folks an ***, but I just really think the average black woman ( not the women on hair boards) doesn't wash her hair that often, often being subjective. (every 3rd or 4th thread y'all telling me about the heifers with terrible hair habits judging you guys, lol, and how you gon whip your hair right in their face when you hit that goal length :blush: )

The girl should have found a more professional way to phrase the message she wanted to get across. Thanks for the lotion example, I saw something like that happen at Sephora once with a sales lady recommending wrinkle cream to a customer :lachen:

nzeee

Maybe you don't offend easily Whig would make life much easier in general. Reading your post I tried to think if another example ... all I could think of is if she offered the op two jars of lotion and said 'take two because you probably wake up super ashy.' Lol....

Anyway, in both cases I would be offended because it's not proper to assume something about a person based on what you think you know about their race. All black people are bit alike and it's rude to treat any customer like you know what they do cause of what color their skin is.

I don't disagree with your point of view though. I can see where you're coming from.

bwaahahahahahahaha :lachen:

Forever in Bloom

I agree with you; you should have been offended. I have been with Lush from 2007-2010, and am now working there for the holidays this year.

I went through re-training yesterday, and one of the things our Store Manager stresses is to not make assumptions. We only become the "experts" on the products we sell after we ask at least 3-5 questions regarding their current hair care, and can then make specific recommendations based on their needs and our knowledge of what each product does.

She should have asked you questions first. My manager asked me about my hair regime, and I told her that I only wash my hair once a week and sometimes biweekly. The other ladies training with me didn't seem shocked at all, because they had some pretty crazy hair regimens themselves. They seemed curious, but that was about it.

What I'm thinking is that an employee working there may have told her coworkers that she only washes her hair once a week, or that black women in general don't wash that often. So the sales associate probably took that one opinion and ran with it.

cbanks67

They do wash their hair everyday. Its not a negative thing if you don't though. Even if someone is taking it there. It doesn't matter what folks think because you know whats best for your hair.