lye = no lye according to essence magazine!

bellezanegra826

My grandmother bought me a new book put out by essence called beauty basics and beyond. It basically is a book that compiles a lot of the good tips that lhcf shares on a regular basis. One of the articles in this book talks about the different types of perms and I thought I would share with you what they wrote since I know there has been a little bit of confusion lately about the different perms so here goes: (I left out the pros of each b/c they both basically straighten hair)

Lye relaxer:
How it works: the active ingredients--sodium hydroxide (lye) breaks down the hydrogen and sulfide bonds that give the hair its shape. Smoothing the product through your hair rearranges the bonds, straightening the hair.
Best used on: choose this formulation if your hair is not subjected to any other chemical processes.
Cons: A lye relaxer can cause irritaiton and burns if left on the scalp too long. overprocessing causes hair damage, breakage and possibly permanent bald spots.

No-Lye relaxer

How it works: Although the active ingredient --calcium hyroxide is called no lye, IT IS STILL LYE. It breaks down the hydrogen and sulfide bonds that give the hair its shape and rearranges the hair bonds
Best used on: a no-lye realcer is an option for sisters whose scalp is sensitive or who use a permanent coloring agent, although it is not recommended by many experts. This forumlation is best on hair that just needs its curl loosened a bit. (It sounds like to me the no-lye isn't as strong at straightening as the lye)
Cons: This type of relaxer deposits additional calcium on the hair making it more prone to dryness and breakage. Plus, it won't completely straighten supertight hair, which leaves the shaft more porous and susceptible to damage. For this reason, many experts do not use this product.

I apologize profusely if this is a topic that someone else has already explained but I remember reading a thread about a woman who went to her stylist and the person said that there was no difference between the perms so I thought this would help that person. Let me know what you think about this post please.

Sassygoddess

Funny you should post this thread. I just received my book Beautiful Black Hair by Shamboosie. He said that No-lye is not good for your hair and that it breaks a lot and that it makes your hair dry. he said that even if you use no lye once and stop it will take a while to repair the damages. i used ORS olive oil relaxer the last time and my hair started to break (and is still breaking). i had no idea what caused it until i read the book today. i have a long road ahead of me to fix the damage, but hopefully with the help of my book and this forum my hair will be restored back to normal.

bluediamond0829

i actually was just looking thru that same book at Barnes and Nobles tonight...it looks like a good book with everything that it has in it...i may decide to get it...i tried to follow what Shamboosie said(i have that book already) and use Lye relaxers(the Affirm) but my hair was so so dry...i may try to use it again i have a big big tub of it...but im also loving phyto right now..so not sure if i would go back to a Lye relaxer because ive been using No-lye(box relaxers) for so very long and never experienced the dryness that i had when i used them..

~*~ShopAholic~*~

It seems to be right on target if you ask me, I say this because for yrs I was using a lye relaxer and didn't know, (TCB bone straight), until I found lhcf and decided to try to start using stuff that had alot of natural ingredients, I was suppose to be buying ORS organics relaxer but picked up Organics by afica's best, well my 16wk post relaxer NG was soooo dry looking compared to my ends after using this relaxer and it did not fully relaxer my hair, I ended up doin a corrective relaxer w/the TCB and that's when I found out no base=lye relaxer, it bought back the shine I was use to and moisture, I said never again will I use no lye.

bellezanegra826

I did notice that the last time I got a just for me perm it burned the mess out of my scalp and my hair was not straight. The JFM was no-lye. Now that I am going to my new stylist my hair is straighter in only a fraction of the time. So I assume she uses lye on my hair but I will be sure to find out.

Candy_C

this topic always makes me squirm!! i've been relaxed with no lye and my hair dont break at all!! its very moist and soft, and my ends r nice and strong!!!

Plus, i'm cheap lol i'm a student and i buy my relaxer for like £4!! (about $2) (elasta qp sensitvie no-lye) the only time i had probs is when i used heat regularly and cut with blunt scissors

Last edited:

relaxedhair

Hey guys, I think that what "lye" generally refers to is the hydroxide part (OH) which is the alkali that is actually breaking your hair down. I think "lye" is a general branch term for the metal hydroxides, including calcium, lithium and sodium. The beauty industry uses "no lye" as an understanding that the product does not contain SODIUM hydroxide, the strongest lye. All confusing. But the part that's relaxing your hair in all cases is the hydroxide (lye) part so maybe that's what they mean that all relaxers contain lye. Just stick to the chemical name (sodium hydroxide, calcium hydroxide) I think.

Candy_C

relaxedhair said:
Candy C you self relax too?? How do you cope with all your hair do you have any tips for me?

Ohhh i WISH i could self relax!!! i get my aunty to do it for me, (well, i call her aunt) she used 2 work at my cousin rip-off salon and told me their runing my hair but i didn't understand as i was about 11. shes very very cautious with my hair and refuses to flat iron my hair and only blow drys with silken seal. she only uses affirms and IQ on my hair aswell. i wouldn't DARE self relax!! i would mess it up

relaxedhair

Candy_C said:
i wouldn't DARE self relax!! i would mess it up
Haha lol! Yeah I'm scared too but I think I can give myself so much more tlc and time than any stylist could. My scalp is still hurting after a relaxer gone awry last MONDAY, and after my corrective I think I'm going to try it myself and get my sis to help. As long as I get a timer, don't overlap, and smooth it properly how different can it be from a stylist? I'm optimistic and I'll be able to throw my saved money at Dominican conditioners from America. I want so many of them! :grin:

Candy_C

relaxedhair said:
Haha lol! Yeah I'm scared too but I think I can give myself so much more tlc and time than any stylist could. My scalp is still hurting after a relaxer gone awry last MONDAY, and after my corrective I think I'm going to try it myself and get my sis to help. As long as I get a timer, don't overlap, and smooth it properly how different can it be from a stylist? I'm optimistic and I'll be able to throw my saved money at Dominican conditioners from America. I want so many of them! :grin:

thts true! the only thing i "fear" is that i wont get all the regrowth at the back, and that my ends may somehow get relaxer on them! i reallllyy want some nice Dominican conditoners but the UK is crap! I'm going to New York in March so hopefully i will find some stores.

yes i think if ur sis helps it should be pretty easy! good luck if u do go for it...my scalp is funky a few days after a relaxer too..i lovee when i get regrowth some chicks hate it,