M&S a Rollerst vs Braidout

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
For those that do braidouts and rollersets -- do you find that your daily m&s prods penetrate and absorb better on silky, smooth rollerset hair than wavy braidout hair?

I use scurl and evco daily to m&s and feel these prods penetrate better when my hair is silky smooth from rollersetting. These same prods don't absorb evenly when I m&s on a braidout. The prods just kind of sit on top of the braidout, leaving my hair thirsty. Should I use different prods to m&s my braidouts?

Just venting --
I rather air dry for convenience but feel that my hair stays thirsty and tangled. I use the scarf method and air dry in two braids with apply Elasta QP H-Two and NTM Silk Touch. I m&s seal daily with scurl and evco as previosly mentioned.

I prefer the silky smooth rollerset look but hate the amount of time it takes to achieve this look. I've tried traditional and ponytail rollersetting and both take forever to dry. In addition, I feel that I lose too much hair with the manipulation required to detangle and smooth to roll. I can deal with the dryer time, it's the loss of hair that I can't deal with.

What gives...sheez.

Last edited:

Solitude

OP, do you mean moisturizing and sealing? I've never heard the abbreviation m&s on here and it took me a minute to even come up with that.

Anyway, try using oil to seal instead of a serum.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Yup m&s means moisturize and seal. It's been thrown around a few times on here but I see it more on hairlista.

Sorry I can't answer the question because I've never had a rollerset before. But I would think it feels smoother and more hydrated after a rollerset because the cuticles arent raised? IDK:spinning:

Chantelle09

Roller sets are nice & inexpensive. But maybe they are doing it to tight. You might need to take some biotin or calcium pills to strengthen your hair roots. Also Keratin treatment is good to help seal your hair as well but much more expensive.

divachyk

Yup m&s means moisturize and seal. It's been thrown around a few times on here but I see it more on hairlista.

Sorry I can't answer the question because I've never had a rollerset before. But I would think it feels smoother and more hydrated after a rollerset because the cuticles arent raised? IDK:spinning:
I visit hairlista but saw the m&s term on here first. Oh well. Good analysis of the cuticle not being raised....that makes perfect sense.

ETA: thanks for answering the m&s on this thread and another thread for me.

OP, do you mean moisturizing and sealing? I've never heard the abbreviation m&s on here and it took me a minute to even come up with that.

Anyway, try using oil to seal instead of a serum.
Sorry the m&s threw you off. Isn't extra virgin coconut oil (evco) an oil rather than a serum? I've tried sealing with a various oils and serums with the same results. The one I'm currently using is evco so I thought I'd keep it simple and only list that but have tried other things too.

Roller sets are nice & inexpensive. But maybe they are doing it to tight. You might need to take some biotin or calcium pills to strengthen your hair roots. Also Keratin treatment is good to help seal your hair as well but much more expensive.
I take calcium, fish oil and a prenatal. I've stayed away from biotin b/c of acne potential as I suffer from acne already.

ETA: I don't roll super tight although I tangle alot so the hair loss I'm speaking of comes from detangling and smoothing the hair right before rolling hair.

Last edited:

lolascurls

I used to use Wave nouveau on my hair and then suddenly it stopped working and just SAT on my hair!
S-curl is very much like Wave nouveau (I bought some, realised this and gave it away). Try a moisturizer with less or no silicones and your hair will probably feel better!

divachyk

Have you tried a different moisturizer? Maybe your hair would prefer something without cones....
I've tried Wave Nouveau, Hawaiin 14n1 and NTM Silk touch but they all seem to sit on top of my braidouts. These same prods penetrate nicely when I rollerset.

Try a moisturizer with less or no silicones and your hair will probably feel better!
I will give this a try. What are you using?

Solitude

Okay, hmm...I don't lose any hair when rollersetting. I use a creamy leave-in, then a serum and keep my hair saturated with water. I use a paddle brush or wide tooth comb to detangle my whole head, then section into the rows for the set. Next, I use the tail of a fine tooth comb to section individual parts to roll. I saturate each section with water, detangle from tip to root with the rattail comb, then roll the hair smoothly onto the roller. I see zero hair in the comb. The only time it gets trickier is when I'm stretching my relaxer, but I just have to take my time and use more serum. After I'm lightly moisturize my ends before wrapping. For rollerset, my serum is what I use to "seal." It takes about 70 minutes for my set to dry when I use ceramic rollers.

I actually feel like my hair is more moisturized after a braidout as long as I don't use a styling cream that's too drying. For braidouts, I apply my leave-in, then airdry. I use my moisturizer or styling cream, plus a little bit of oil (especially on my ends). My braidouts look super shiny and they are very soft in the morning.

IMO, both styles are a lot of manipulation, but for me the benefits of not using direct heat, along with the benefits of "setting" the hair in either style outweigh any possible negatives.