Random Hair Care ?'s

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have several random questions. Just answer whichever you can even if you are unable to answer all of them.

(1) Are headbands (cloth, no slip grip, etc) just as damaging as wearing your hair down and allowing it to rub against your clothing?

Links to some sample headbands I'm thinking of:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Slip-Grip-59268-A-Headbands/14653977
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fashion-Accessories-58960-Headbands/14648330
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hair-Hints-Grey-Blue-Black-Headbands-1-ct/10319838

(2) I find that some of my strands remain dry when I'm apply product (DC, leave-ins, etc) while others get fully saturated. I'm seperating the hair in sections and properly applying product. What might cause this?

(3) This is an extension from question 2....My ends are very dry. One of two things usually happen -- they either get fully saturated when applying product, but when the product fully absorbs/dries, my ends are back dry and frizzy....OR the product doesn't absorb at all into my ends, and my ends remain dry and frizzy. This is along the same lines as the issue in question 2 -- product not absorbing into the hair. I air dry so there shouldn't be any heat damage. Suggestions?

(4) Do you all clarify before relaxing?
I've never clarified before so I'm a little skeptic on accomplishing this step since my hair is obviously dry as indicated by questions (2) and (3). At the same time, I don't want to get a relaxer (I'm due for my first touch-up since joining LHCF and using the prods* listed below) and it conflicts with something I've been using and/or applying to the hair.

*Prods used, of course not all at the same time -- CFCG, H14n1, Wave Nouveau, SCurl, HE LTR split end corrector, NTM silk leave-in, evoo, evco, jbco, grapeseed oil, lustrasilk mango/shea butter, ORS replenishing pak.

Thx.

Last edited:

nikolite

(1) Headbands can be damaging if they are worn too tightly, but I wouldn't say as damaging as the hair brushing your shoulders. Wearing it down breaks off length at the ends and damage the oldest, weakest parts of your hair.

(2) You may have product build-up and need to clarify. I've found that when my hair has become brittle, dry, dull and just more rough feeling, a little sulfate shampoo usually does the trick. Sounds counter-intuitive but the hair should be clean and then the moisturizers and creams you are adding will be able to take hold. If you were using natural products, maybe not but it sounds like you are applying a lot of heavy product.

(3) See #2.

(4) I'm natural, but from what I remember from my relaxed days, you definitely should not clarify before a relaxer. You need as much protection as you can get (in the form of oils and such) to protect the hair from the harsh chemicals, which probably clarify the hair in and of itself.

Also, why don't you want a relaxer? If you don't, then you shouldn't get one. Are you trying to transition?

HTH!

divachyk

Also, why don't you want a relaxer? If you don't, then you shouldn't get one. Are you trying to transition?

HTH!

Thx! My sentence was poorly worded. I am due for my first touch-up since joining LHCF and using some of the technques & suggestions learned on the boards.

I'mma newbie and not well versed enough to know whether any of the prods I've used will cause damage if the relaxer is applied without me clarifying my hair to remove traces of the prods I've been using. I posted a list of the prods in my original post.

Ultimately, I don't wanna show up to the salon for a relaxer and the previously used prods conflicts with the relaxer (Design Essentials) and causes breakage/damage.

For example, I read a thread that someone suggested the Bee Mine Growth Serum be stopped a week before your touch-up. Although I haven't used this product, this concept is what prompted my concern.

BlackGeisha

I have several random questions. Just answer whichever you can even if you are unable to answer all of them.

(1) Are headbands (cloth, no slip grip, etc) just as damaging as wearing your hair down and allowing it to rub against your clothing?

Links to some sample headbands I'm thinking of:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Slip-Grip-59268-A-Headbands/14653977
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fashion-Accessories-58960-Headbands/14648330
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hair-Hints-Grey-Blue-Black-Headbands-1-ct/10319838

No the headbands shouldn't be damaging just make sure your being careful when putting them on and taking them off, especially the ones with the teeth you want to make sure you don't snag any hairs.

(2) I find that some of my strands remain dry when I'm apply product (DC, leave-ins, etc) while others get fully saturated. I'm seperating the hair in sections and properly applying product. What might cause this?

???

(3) This is an extension from question 2....My ends are very dry. One of two things usually happen -- they either get fully saturated when applying product, but when the product fully absorbs/dries, my ends are back dry and frizzy....OR the product doesn't absorb at all into my ends, and my ends remain dry and frizzy. This is along the same lines as the issue in question 2 -- product not absorbing into the hair. I air dry so there shouldn't be any heat damage. Suggestions?

Are you sealing with oil after you moisturize? You can also try applying a serum to combat the frizz. Didn't you mention your in Miami? I live in Miami it could be the humidity here.

(4) Do you all clarify before relaxing?
I've never clarified before so I'm a little skeptic on accomplishing this step since my hair is obviously dry as indicated by questions (2) and (3). At the same time, I don't want to get a relaxer (I'm due for my first touch-up since joining LHCF and using the prods* listed below) and it conflicts with something I've been using and/or applying to the hair.

I clarified once before a week before a relaxer and my head was on fire, so I just clarify once a month from now on.

*Prods used, of course not all at the same time -- CFCG, H14n1, Wave Nouveau, SCurl, HE LTR split end corrector, NTM silk leave-in, evoo, evco, jbco, grapeseed oil, lustrasilk mango/shea butter, ORS replenishing pak.

Thx.

Hope this helps a little :grin:

divachyk

No the headbands shouldn't be damaging just make sure your being careful when putting them on and taking them off, especially the ones with the teeth you want to make sure you don't snag any hairs.
Cool, thanks.

Are you sealing with oil after you moisturize? You can also try applying a serum to combat the frizz. Didn't you mention your in Miami? I live in Miami it could be the humidity here.
Live in NWFL (Tallahassee, Panama City Beach, Fort Walton Beach, Pensacola area)....some yes, humidity is a factor. Come to think of it, I didn't use my frizz serum this past go around because someone mentioned cones are the devil and I fell into that hype. Perhaps I need to introduce the frizz serum back in my reggie because my hair is responding different this time than before. However, I've been bunning so not sure how humidity impacts my hair while bunning because this PS stuff is all new to me.

I clarified once before a week before a relaxer and my head was on fire, so I just clarify once a month from now on.
Thx for the tip.

:rolleyes: This HHJ ain't no joke...much harder than I ever imagined. Some days rewarding, so far most have been flat out frustrating.:wallbash: I'm a newbie so I'm going through the learning phase.

BlackGeisha

:rolleyes: This HHJ ain't no joke...much harder than I ever imagined. Some days rewarding, so far most have been flat out frustrating.:wallbash: I'm a newbie so I'm going through the learning phase.

I hear ya, the learning phase is tough because your still figuring out what works and what doesn't. What helped me when trying to find the right products was trying the little sample packs of things that I see in sally's or in my BSS for like $1.00. This way if it doesn't work no big loss, and if I like the product great. Another thing is don't follow all of the trends on here, because what it comes down to, is how YOUR hair responds to a product, if something is working, and your hair is thriving, stick with it. If something doesn't work then move on. The person that decides what's best for your hair is YOU. Keep at it, just like with anything, this hair thing takes patience and practice. good luck! :yep:

KinkyGenius

(2) + (3) - I notice you use quite a few silicone-heavy products, maybe that's the issue? Maybe they aren't truly moisturizing your hair and rather just sitting on your hair, which would explain why your hair doesn't feel or stay moisturized no matter how much product you put on. I know cone-heavy products do nothing for my hair, so thought I'd throw that out as a suggestion/observation. I agree with the other poster that your hair might be in need of clarifying.

(4) - I always clarify one week before my relaxer to remove build up. I use a few gentle clarifying shampoo, plus I dilute it. Also I don't have a very sensitive scalp so maybe that has something to do with it as well. This is a necessary step for me.

HTH!!!

divachyk

I hear ya, the learning phase is tough because your still figuring out what works and what doesn't. What helped me when trying to find the right products was trying the little sample packs of things that I see in sally's or in my BSS for like $1.00. This way if it doesn't work no big loss, and if I like the product great. Another thing is don't follow all of the trends on here, because what it comes down to, is how YOUR hair responds to a product, if something is working, and your hair is thriving, stick with it. If something doesn't work then move on. The person that decides what's best for your hair is YOU. Keep at it, just like with anything, this hair thing takes patience and practice. good luck! :yep:
Agreed on finding what works. I got in a bit too deep too quick when I joined and thankfully, my pockets are not suffering too badly but my emotions are. Didn't even think about trying trial packs. Trial packs probably would work best for me anyway to ensure I don't over apply the product when using it. I can be a little heavy hand at times.

(2) + (3) - I notice you use quite a few silicone-heavy products, maybe that's the issue? .

(4) - I always clarify one week before my relaxer to remove build up.
Don't most prods have some cones? I don't have a whole foods store, Trader Joe's or a Vitamin Shoppe, etc near me so some of the various, organic prods discussed here are not within my buying power (unless I buy online). The only store near me that some have spoke of is GNC. Pretty boring....what do you use that's cone free?

I use to think I had sensitive scalp until I changed salons about a year ago and now I don't tingle/burn when getting a touch-up but that could be due to the new salon using a sensitive scalp formula by Design Essentials. I plan to visit the salon tomorrow and have her do a hair assessment to let me know what's going on as I'm tired of guessing.

Last edited:

KinkyGenius

Don't most prods have some cones? I don't have a whole foods store, Trader Joe's or a Vitamin Shoppe, etc near me so some of the various, organic prods discussed here are not within my buying power (unless I buy online). The only store near me that some have spoke of is GNC. Pretty boring....what do you use that's cone free?

I use to think I had sensitive scalp until I changed salons about a year ago and now I don't tingle/burn when getting a touch-up but that could be due to the new salon using a sensitive scalp formula by Design Essentials. I plan to visit the salon tomorrow and have her do a hair assessment to let me know what's going on as I'm tired of guessing.

Well, I should have added cones and glycerine. Glycerine is among the first ingredients in most of the "juices" that you listed. Again, this might not be the case for your hair but glycerine-based products (products where glycerine is among the first 3-4 ingredients) never truly moisturize my hair, they just coat my strands. I'd tried all the "juices" you listed when I was first starting out and I wanted to love them because they are accessible, but that just didn't get the job done. I don't avoid cones all together like some ladies, but I limit my use of them.

These are my daily leave-ins:
Bee Mine Luscious Cream Moisturizer (this is my daily moisturizer)
Camellia Seed Oil (this is the only oil I will seal with)

Wash day leave-ins:
Shescentit Moisture Mist (I was using Biolage Daily Leave-in Tonic, but it proved to be too cone-laden for my strands and I had to find something else)
Korres Rice Serum on my ends only (this is new for me and it's glycerine-based so we'll see how it goes. Redken Anti Snap is what I used previously which has cones but it's a really good product and it's more accessible too)
Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer (I always use a protein-based leave-in on wash days)
**Nioxin Bliss Thermal Protector (I only use this when I rollerset, I've been airdrying the entire summer so far though)

When I was first starting out and trying to find my staple products I wasted $100s of dollars, so I would just say be careful with that lol. Research extensively, which it looks like you do already. Best of luck though honing in on the issue that's causing the dryness, I do hope others chime in.

Last edited:

divachyk

Well, I should have added cones and glycerine.
These are my daily leave-ins:
Bee Mine Luscious Cream Moisturizer (this is my daily moisturizer)
Camellia Seed Oil (this is the only oil I will seal with)

Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Restructurizer (I always use a protein-based leave-in on wash days)
Maybe you are on to something. NTM silk touch leave-does my hair the best out of all of the juices listed. I think glycerin is about the 5th or 6th ingredient on that list whereas glycerin is listed a little higher in the list for the other juices. I purchased the sample size of the BM moisturizer during the 4th of July sale....so I'll check that out to see if that works better than the other items I've used.

I forgot to name Elasta QP Mango butter. Have you used that? I bought it because some stated they use it as a moisturizer. I didn't like how it applied on my hair. To me it's good for slicking down my edges.

Do you ever use aphogee protein treatment (2min reconstructor or 2step) on the same wash day as the aphogee leave-in? So far it seems like my hair needs a little protein each time I poo to keep it form feeling overly soft and fragile.

Last edited:

bimtheduck

1. I imagine they can be if they are tight or a rough or drying fabric.
2.You can continue to moisturize or apply product in sections then comb through.
3.You might have a porosity problem.
4.I clarify before relaxing but only b/c I also do a treatment with Aphogee2step a week before my relaxer.

divachyk

1. I imagine they can be if they are tight or a rough or drying fabric.
2.You can continue to moisturize or apply product in sections then comb through.
3.You might have a porosity problem.
4.I clarify before relaxing but only b/c I also do a treatment with Aphogee2step a week before my relaxer.
I did consider it might be a porosity issue because sometimes it seems like I have to oversaturate my hair for prods to absorb....sometimes the prod just seems to sit on top of my strands rather than absorbing. I probably should use Roux porosity and/or clarify my hair but I'm a bit nervous as I've never done either.