MAJOR SET BACK :(

brebre928

:cry: UGH! just when my d@mn hair was growing I hit a major set back.

So I came all up in here talking about my one year progress all excited and whatnot...see link if you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=693873

This post may be a long read....pics below.

I wanted a new look so I bought some "bundle hair" from the BSS (I now know that was not REAL bundle hair) my cousin who has installed weave in my hair a couple of times before when I was relaxed said she would install this one...booooooy do I wish I just told her never mind. First of all my hair was DRY now I know that's a big no no, I asked her did she want me me to put some type of oil or moisturizer in it, she told me "no" cause it would be too hard for her to braid. When she got to the top of my head that's when the pain really started. I was having a hot flash, i felt like I was going to pass out. She thought I was just exaggerating but I was serious. I told her to stop and take a break while I lay down on the couch. She told me to "stop being a girl and man up" The braids were TIGHT ya'll. I asked her to take it out but she wouldn't, eventually she added the tracks and left. I took a Tylenol cause my head hurt so bad, I figured it was like the first day you get braids in your hair. Well the next day the pain was even more intense, I stuck my head under running shower water to sooth the pain, I put ice packs on my head still nothing worked. Eventually I took them out at 3 am Tuesday morning (two days after the install)
While I was taking the braid down the pain was excruciating (the best way to describe the feeling is like when you leave a relaxer on for too long and your scalp starts to burn and hurt) I washed my hair and just twisted it up. Fast forward a couple of days later i'm running my fingers through my hair and I feel a bump of some sort, I tell my husband to take a pic of it and it was red with a golden crust...WTF!!!!!!!!!!! My scalp began to itch something bad and of course I would scratch, I put some tea tree oil and Jane Carter Nourish and shine on my scalp but the itching continued and my hair started falling out, just sliding right out of the scalp. Then one sore turned into three sores, I made a doctors appointment because this was driving me crazy he prescribed an ointment called Mupirocin, i have to apply it 3 times a day. The sores fell off and took my hair along with it :cry::cry::cry:

HEEEEEEEEELP!!!!! What do I do in the mean time, I know my hair is not going to grow back over night :( and my scalp is going to need some tender, love and, care. What products will aid in growth. I'm scared to mess with the blad spot until my scalp has completely healed...HELL I'm afraid to wash my hair :ohwell:

I felt like since you ladies are all about hair care i would share my story with you all. I just need hugs ya'll I'm so devastated.

1st pic is from last week, 2nd pic is from this past Saturday and 3rd pic is from yesterday after the third sore fell off.

Attachments

• IMG_20130710_160433_524.jpg
    IMG_20130710_160433_524.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_20130713_225109_649.jpg
    IMG_20130713_225109_649.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_20130715_104842_351.jpg
    IMG_20130715_104842_351.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I'm so sorry this happened to you! :(

Keep applying the ointment.

After it heals, do not apply chemicals or anything harsh to your scalp. Just allow the skin to heal and replenish itself.

Use mild shampoo and dilute it with water.

Apply conditioners to your hair only. Preferably when dry so the residue doesn't sit on your scalp.

Rinse shampoo with warm water and conditioner with cool water to keep your pores closed.

Take a multivitamin.

Collodial silver is a good anti bacterial and healing agent that can aid in healing wounds and sores naturally. You can spray this on daily.

Also the only oil I would put on the area after it closes and forms a scab is vitamin E or virgin coconut oil. Both have anti bacterial healing properties.

Ladies. Read this post and what happened to this poor young lady....be warned. Do NOT LET SOMEONE BRAID YOUR HAIR TIGHT! It is NOT HOW BRAIDS ARE SUPPOSED TO FEEL!!!!

(((Hugs)))

Last edited:

MizzBFly

That is so devastating, Sorry to hear that has happened to to you(((hugs))....you will heal hon, along with your hair

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Wow, so sorry! (((HUGS))) Havilland has some great tips. Just keep babying your hair and scalp.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Bre, you want me to get the LHCFBI on that chick? You know how we do.:sekret::sekret::lol: I'm sorry this happened to you. I learned from the past about tight braids, the hard way, too. A little TLC and you will bounce back in no time.

chebaby

giiiiirrrrrlllllll you need to slap the shnit outta your cousin. she told you NO when you told her to undo the braids. :nono:
how you gonna tell me n o and its my hair.
i dont get fake hair often but one thing i noticed is that people think its normal to have super tight braids. i never understood how people sit in chairs and let other people pull their hair so tight while braiding, i noticed while i was sitting in a shop next to this one lady. she was in so much pain and she just sat there like it was normal.

once your hair heals try JBCO, that should help.

i hope you showed your cousin your scalp.

soonergirl

Ladybug, I'm hugging you and praying for you. Keep your head up. And just keep on pushing. We are all here to support you. Your story is going to help so many NOT make that mistake. Hang in there and keep taking good care of your scalp.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'm so sorry this happened to you OP. You will find some wonderful advice and support here.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

mshoneyfly

:cry: UGH! just when my d@mn hair was growing I hit a major set back.

So I came all up in here talking about my one year progress all excited and whatnot...see link if you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=693873

This post may be a long read....pics below.

I wanted a new look so I bought some "bundle hair" from the BSS (I now know that was not REAL bundle hair) my cousin who has installed weave in my hair a couple of times before when I was relaxed said she would install this one...booooooy do I wish I just told her never mind. First of all my hair was DRY now I know that's a big no no, I asked her did she want me me to put some type of oil or moisturizer in it, she told me "no" cause it would be too hard for her to braid. When she got to the top of my head that's when the pain really started. I was having a hot flash, i felt like I was going to pass out. She thought I was just exaggerating but I was serious. I told her to stop and take a break while I lay down on the couch. She told me to "stop being a girl and man up" The braids were TIGHT ya'll. I asked her to take it out but she wouldn't, eventually she added the tracks and left. I took a Tylenol cause my head hurt so bad, I figured it was like the first day you get braids in your hair. Well the next day the pain was even more intense, I stuck my head under running shower water to sooth the pain, I put ice packs on my head still nothing worked. Eventually I took them out at 3 am Tuesday morning (two days after the install)
While I was taking the braid down the pain was excruciating (the best way to describe the feeling is like when you leave a relaxer on for too long and your scalp starts to burn and hurt) I washed my hair and just twisted it up. Fast forward a couple of days later i'm running my fingers through my hair and I feel a bump of some sort, I tell my husband to take a pic of it and it was red with a golden crust...WTF!!!!!!!!!!! My scalp began to itch something bad and of course I would scratch, I put some tea tree oil and Jane Carter Nourish and shine on my scalp but the itching continued and my hair started falling out, just sliding right out of the scalp. Then one sore turned into three sores, I made a doctors appointment because this was driving me crazy he prescribed an ointment called Mupirocin, i have to apply it 3 times a day. The sores fell off and took my hair along with it :cry::cry::cry:

HEEEEEEEEELP!!!!! What do I do in the mean time, I know my hair is not going to grow back over night :( and my scalp is going to need some tender, love and, care. What products will aid in growth. I'm scared to mess with the blad spot until my scalp has completely healed...HELL I'm afraid to wash my hair :ohwell:

I felt like since you ladies are all about hair care i would share my story with you all. I just need hugs ya'll I'm so devastated.

1st pic is from last week, 2nd pic is from this past Saturday and 3rd pic is from yesterday after the third sore fell off.

Im sooo sorry to hear about your hair and scalp; thats really terrible. havilland gave you some really good suggestions. I wouldn't know what to do if that happened to me!!

Im sure the braids were waaayy too tight but it could also be that you were allergic to the chemicals in that "bundle" hair. Some people recommend that you wash bulk braid hair with ACV and condition it before using. There have been several times that my ears, nape and neck broke out after using random braid hair in the past. Its also important to give your own hair a good protein and moisture DC before braiding to combat the dryness.

When you feel ready, i would detox and clarify the follicles, scalp and hair with either shea moisture clarification masque (has willow bark extract) or rhassoul (sp?) clay. If you're still itching, its prob the chemicals still on your scalp.

You will get past this setback soon enough.
Lots of big hugs!!

Prudent1

Sending a big ehug your way! :bighug: That's exactly what my hair looked like (in the same place too :blush: ) as a result of stress due to loss of a loved one 3 years ago. Nonie recommended a blend of oils that I faithfully massaged into my scalp (in addition to babying your scalp like everyone is recommending above)for the next several months. Now Nonie where are you? Will you post a link to your thread about the oil blends and massage techniques? I searched but it was posted a while back. It worked. I flat ironed this weekend. That section of hair is now APL and I am an average grower. We all have some sort of set back. :yep:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Sorry this happened to you.
Your story was painful to read, sending you hugs.

Setbacks suck.

))Hugs((

brebre928

Bre, you want me to get the LHCFBI on that chick? You know how we do.:sekret::sekret::lol: I'm sorry this happened to you. I learned from the past about tight braids, the hard way, too. A little TLC and you will bounce back in no time.

LOL thanks for making me laugh :lol: nah you don't need to to get the LHCFBI on her.

brebre928

Im sooo sorry to hear about your hair and scalp; thats really terrible. havilland gave you some really good suggestions. I wouldn't know what to do if that happened to me!!

Im sure the braids were waaayy too tight but it could also be that you were allergic to the chemicals in that "bundle" hair. Some people recommend that you wash bulk braid hair with ACV and condition it before using. There have been several times that my ears, nape and neck broke out after using random braid hair in the past. Its also important to give your own hair a good protein and moisture DC before braiding to combat the dryness.

When you feel ready, i would detox and clarify the follicles, scalp and hair with either shea moisture clarification masque (has willow bark extract) or rhassoul (sp?) clay. If you're still itching, its prob the chemicals still on your scalp.

You will get past this setback soon enough.
Lots of big hugs!!

Thanks, yeah I'm thinking maybe I had an allergic reaction to the hair too, because my scalp started itching like crazy. I thought that was weird. I must have scratched so hard the area became infected and than all of this happened.

Last edited:

brebre928

Sending a big ehug your way! :bighug: That's exactly what my hair looked like (in the same place too :blush: ) as a result of stress due to loss of a loved one 3 years ago. Nonie recommended a blend of oils that I faithfully massaged into my scalp (in addition to babying your scalp like everyone is recommending above)for the next several months. Now Nonie where are you? Will you post a link to your thread about the oil blends and massage techniques? I searched but it was posted a while back. It worked. I flat ironed this weekend. That section of hair is now APL and I am an average grower. We all have some sort of set back. :yep:

I'd appreciate that. I hope she stops through and can give me the link. Thanks

HanaKuroi

I don't know where Nonie is. We need her wisdom.

Op, your hair will grow back.

I had an allergic reaction several months ago ear to ear, an inch wide right on my nape! I had just grown my nape back from scarf breakage!I was horrified. My hair was broken super short and you could see my scalp. I had a bald spot the size of a nickel. My hair was an inch from apl in the back. I couldn't wear my hair up.

My hair is now at least four or 5 inches long. I can wear it up. It actually is stronger and curlier. So my babied, thin nape is now thick and lush. I don't care that it will take forever to catch up. I am glad it grew back!

Your hair will grow back. You have the ability to hide the area. You have thick and lovely hair. I am so glad you caught it in time.

I think it was the tightness and not your scratching that caused the bald spot. I am sure you were itchy from the inflammation but the damage was already done.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Shadiyah

I know I'm not a weave person but this is not the first story we heard this month. Is anyone concerned about what they maybe doing to that fake hair you all are using? Because your hair is not going to fall out over tight braids, bumps yes, pain yes. This is happening too many times. They would do anything to cut the cost.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess

^^^^ that's what i'm talking about! some vigilante type justice!:yep:

janeemat

That's just ridiculous to braid the hair so tight that it pulls it right out of the scalp. I am really sorry this happened. Did you show your cousin? What did she say?

nikki2229

I just want to say hugs to you.

I had a similar situation some years ago. I had my hair braided and then a sew in added at an African hair braiding salon, that night my one section of my head hurt so bad. I was spraying it and trying to moisturize it. The next night I couldn't take it anymore and I took the weave out. When I undid that cornrow, my whole hair in the cornrow came out from my edges to my ear. I had a huge bald spot. Thankfully it has since grown back. No chemicals, just moisturize and protein.

Fast forward to last month and I got my hair braided, the lady was braiding my hair so tight that I thought I would hit her. I told her 3 times to stop. She would loosen it up for a few braids then go back to normal. I finally told her to stop wasting her time and mines because I had an incident that left me bald and I was taking those out.. She didnt believe me. The owner told me to take a Tylenol.smh. My head hurt so bad that I had bumps forming before I left the shop.. I took all of the hurting braids out in my car. Especially my edges.

I babied them with Shea moisture mist spray, Jane carter nourish and shine and the njoy growth oil. It was so raw and painful for almost a week. I finally added the braids back myself but I monitor them closely. I was so mad at myself for not walking out of the salon. Praying I don't have a set back when I take these out.

Hugs to you again. Sorry for the long post. I totally sympathize with you.

brebre928

That's just ridiculous to braid the hair so tight that it pulls it right out of the scalp. I am really sorry this happened. Did you show your cousin? What did she say?

Nah not yet, she's on vacay in Mexico but I will show her when she gets back.

BostonMaria

Oh my!! I'm so sorry OP.

Apply castor oil and baby those sections. I can't believe your own cousin did that to you.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

im so sorry this happened to you. i rememeber reading your post and you were very excited. i dont have much advice. but at least since you have experienced you know better. you now know what your hair can handle in this context and you can avoid is in the future.