Managing natural hair in EXTREME humidity...Please Help!

jwhitley6

Hi Ladies,

I've been in Okinawa for a week and will be here until October. Back in Cali I had this natural hair thing all worked out but this humidity is something else! My wash n go's "up n went" and my braid outs look played out. :wallbash: Can you please recommend products to help keep my hair from being a moist cotton ball all day?

BTW, my beloved shea butter and coconut oil are NOT working. I even bought some brown protein gel to see if that would work. :nono:

TIA

msa

I think in general when in a humid climate it's best to do pinned up or braided/twisted styles that can't be too affected by the moisture in the air.

This post on thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com may be of some interest to you and explain why the coconut oil is not helping keep out the humidity.

1. Does mineral oil help in avoiding shrinkage? The length might stay longer if it keeps humidity outside of the hair.

This is a pretty good theory. Treating hair with oil has been shown to reduce the amount of water vapour that the hair can pick up. In addition, mineral oil has been shown to let in less water vapour compared to coconut oil (International Journal of Cosmetic Science, pg135-145, 2007). Shrinkage is related to the hair taking up water and therefore applying oil to it will reduce it. Yes mineral oil will be better than coconut oil for this, but they both DO seal the water in (However, I must state that as a personal preference, I would never recommend mineral oil for hair).

I personally wouldn't use mineral oil on my hair but it may work to help you preserve your styles. (I know someone mentioned in another thread that she used to do her braidouts with pink lotion before the board and they looked great). I know when I do out styles I moisturize heavily so that there's not enough room for my hair to draw moisture from the air.

You should also make sure you are not using humectants to style your hair because they will obviously attract moisture from the hair, which is exactly what you don't want.

DMJ's Mom

I keep my hair in a bun. If my hair isn't in a bun I don't even try to fight the humidity and just keep my hair in a puff

jwhitley6

I think in general when in a humid climate it's best to do pinned up or braided/twisted styles that can't be too affected by the moisture in the air.

This post on thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com may be of some interest to you and explain why the coconut oil is not helping keep out the humidity.

[/font]

I personally wouldn't use mineral oil on my hair but it may work to help you preserve your styles. (I know someone mentioned in another thread that she used to do her braidouts with pink lotion before the board and they looked great). I know when I do out styles I moisturize heavily so that there's not enough room for my hair to draw moisture from the air.

You should also make sure you are not using humectants to style your hair because they will obviously attract moisture from the hair, which is exactly what you don't want.

It's funny you mentioned the mineral oil. I used some Vaseline in my twist out last night and I think it held up better than usual despite a very humid/drizzling evening. I'm definitely avoiding humectant "moisturizing" products. I bought and tried an anti-frizz shampoo and condish, but I think I may pick up some baby oil. I can't believe I'm considering putting this junk in my hair!

What about serums and such? I've seen talk about Sabino...does that work on natural/non heat-styled hair?

Nonie

I think water-based/glycerin products work best in humid places. My friend who's the queen of wash and gos couldn't get over the excitement of moving to a humid state. She was happy she could use less product and get awesome results. Curl activator gels and lotions are her staples. One of her quick styling procedures is to spray on CBSS Quick Fix Spritz to wet and then grab sections of her hair and slap on blobs of Seyani Hair Butter and call it a day...with awesome results.

msa

It's funny you mentioned the mineral oil. I used some Vaseline in my twist out last night and I think it held up better than usual despite a very humid/drizzling evening. I'm definitely avoiding humectant "moisturizing" products. I bought and tried an anti-frizz shampoo and condish, but I think I may pick up some baby oil. I can't believe I'm considering putting this junk in my hair!

What about serums and such? I've seen talk about Sabino...does that work on natural/non heat-styled hair?

Well I wouldn't go so far as to grab baby oil. But vaseline or unpetroleum jelly would probably work. As well as the cosmetic mineral oil. Don't go wayyy off the deep end now:yawn:.

Cones would probably also help you but you'd have to see how that works for your hair. I know there are people here that use serums and such to seal because it helps smooth their hair. Maybe if you twisted your hair up with vaseline (after moisturizing of course) then added serum after you took it out it would turn out well? I guess it'll be trial and error.

I think water-based/glycerin products work best in humid places. My friend who's the queen of wash and gos couldn't get over the excitement of moving to a humid state. She was happy she could use less product and get awesome results. Curl activator gels and lotions are her staples. One of her quick styling procedures is to spray on CBSS Quick Fix Spritz to wet and then grab sections of her hair and slap on blobs of Seyani Hair Butter and call it a day...with awesome results.

That totally makes sense, especially if you want to wear a wash and go. But if you want to do a braid/twist out then the glycerin products would just attract moisture and mess up the do right? How does that work for your friend?

Nonie

That totally makes sense, especially if you want to wear a wash and go. But if you want to do a braid/twist out then the glycerin products would just attract moisture and mess up the do right? How does that work for your friend?

I believe that's correct. My buddy doesn't do anything else but WNGs so having hair that stays moist is always her aim.

I think if I were going to do a braid out or some other do that I need to keep moisture-free, I'd do the same thing I do when I press my hair: Use a serum to seal my hair. I have no problem with 'cones except for the fact that I cannot baggy when I use them coz my scalp itches if they get on it, plus it would be nuts to baggy with a serum coz it's not a moisturizer so I don't know what the point would be.

msa

I believe that's correct. My buddy doesn't do anything else but WNGs so having hair that stays moist is always her aim.

I think if I were going to do a braid out or some other do that I need to keep moisture-free, I'd do the same thing I do when I press my hair: Use a serum to seal my hair. I have no problem with 'cones except for the fact that I cannot baggy when I use them coz my scalp itches if they get on it, plus it would be nuts to baggy with a serum coz it's not a moisturizer so I don't know what the point would be.

Makes complete sense to me.

OP, just make sure since you'll be using heavy products that you stay on top of your moisture, either through conditioning or moisturizing. And make sure you clarify as needed so you don't get too much build-up.

Eluv

I wear my hair in a bun with my bangs in a twist out. I use shea butter and gel. It looks good all day in hot Florida weather.

562009 007.jpg

Country gal

I am wondering too. I went to a cookout Saturday and the Sun was not beeming but I guess the moisture in the air started reverting back my hair. I worked out today and my hair is a big cotton ball mess. I have to redo my hair again. So much for the money I spent getting it done.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I think twists, braids, bantu knots are the best if you're trying avoid humidity. My wash n go's...ehh I don't care if those are frizzy. I live in humidity central and for once I'm happy I don't have to fight it all the time.

The heavier I concentrate my product, the better my twist outs seem to hold up though.

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Bumping....its humid for the next few days in NYC and I want to wear my hair out and not in a bun or twist. Any products or suggestions?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
My hair acts a HAM if I use products with glycerin in them when its humid so I would omit those.

When I use glycerin products in humid weather I get hair shrunk to my ears that feels and looks like a cotton candy frizz ball. When I finally figured out what was doing it I had much better success using products without glycerin. Humidity still affects my hair but not in the same way. My styles last much longer and my hair doesn't frizz nearly as much.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm relaxed but a natural LHCF friend gave me a tip that's worked wonders --- lightly spritz hair with water, apply glycerin product and lightly spritz hair with a little bit more of water. Every since doing this, my hair remains nicely hydrated. The theory is that you're putting moisture in your hair before and after the glycerin product so that it won't dry your hair out. I can't quote scientific fact on why this works but trust, it's working. It's hot as heck in FL and it's working like a charm. DaPPeR Pokahontas

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
In very humid areas I find that using regular conditioner as a leave in works well.

I think the heavier condish blocks my hair from absorbing more moisture from the air.

So far that is the only thing that works for me.

Also I wear my hair up. Attempting to wear it down is just a no go.

BostonMaria

I live in Boston and its been in the 90's for a while. The humidity is unbearable right now. I will keep my hair in a wash and go, ponytail or high bun until the weather goes back down to the low 70's.

I cowash and keep about 50% of the conditioner in my hair. Then I add gel (not too much -maybe two quartered sized amounts on my hand then apply all over especially the front) and style. I'm in the pool almost daily so straight styles are not an option.

So black gel + conditioner works for me. Try using products that are moisturizing.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
On very humid days....I airdry using the scarf method and keep my hair in a bun, banana clip, ext. If I wear my hair out...the humidity attacks my hair. Because I leave moisture in my hair - it doesn't need to pull it from the air causing frizz.

leiah

Ive had good results with applying oil to my wet hair before any products

Most of the time i am in a bun and ecostyler's play n stay edges gel is the only thing that keeps everything from sticking up all over the place

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I've done a lot of reading on glycerin because I live in a very humid area and know glycerin is a fantatic ingredient when the temps are right. However, all readings point back to the dew point and not the humidity. I'm at work and can't link articles but I recently seen a article on CurlyNikki that talked to this same fact.