Does steaming protect natural hair from humidity frizz?

Lucky's Mom

My stylist shampooed, conditioned, put me under the steamer (15 min), rinsed, blow dryed then flat ironed. The press came out excellent! Unfortunately I'm a runner so the press didn't last that long, which I knew it wouldn't with my exercise routine :ohwell:

Is this how everyone does this??????

Or do you do it on a PrePoo?????

I am confused.
Thanks so much.... I am going to try this this weekend!:look:

adw425

These steaming threads have intrigued me and I think I will have my family gift me with a stand-up hair steamer for my birthday next month. In the interim, last night, I ran my bath, turned on my portable space heater (which I keep in my bathroom all winter all the time and never had a problem with it being in the bathroom) for about 15 minutes before I got in the tub. My bathroom was nice and steamy and humid. I kept the heater on. While I lounged in the tub for a half hour with a Pepsi and a good book, I had cholesterol conditioner on my hair and, after rinsing, my hair did feel extra soft and moisturized.

However, tonight, after I co-washed and put in my leave-in and sealed my hair with ghee mixed with camellia, avocado and monoi oils, I did not put my scarf on right away so it had dried quite a bit. My hair turns out best when I put the scarf on my head when it is still wet. So, I decided to experiment a little based on something else I read. I got out a plastic cap and misted it inside with some filtered water. I heated up my micro heat cap in the microwave and put it over the plastic cap for 20 minutes and I cannot begin to tell you all how moist and silky-satiny my hair feels. Wow, just wow! I read in one post somewhere where someone used either a hair steamer or heat cap (different effects, I know) after putting in their leave-in and somewhere else where someone used it with oil....Wow...that is all I can say right now.

BrownSkin2

At the salon, they shampoo, condition under steamer about 15-20 min, rinse, detangle, blowdry, then flat iron. My hair lasts til I wash again.

Lucky's Mom

These steaming threads have intrigued me and I think I will have my family gift me with a stand-up hair steamer for my birthday next month. In the interim, last night, I ran my bath, turned on my portable space heater (which I keep in my bathroom all winter all the time and never had a problem with it being in the bathroom) for about 15 minutes before I got in the tub. My bathroom was nice and steamy and humid. I kept the heater on. While I lounged in the tub for a half hour with a Pepsi and a good book, I had cholesterol conditioner on my hair and, after rinsing, my hair did feel extra soft and moisturized.

However, tonight, after I co-washed and put in my leave-in and sealed my hair with ghee mixed with camellia, avocado and monoi oils, I did not put my scarf on right away so it had dried quite a bit. My hair turns out best when I put the scarf on my head when it is still wet. So, I decided to experiment a little based on something else I read. I got out a plastic cap and misted it inside with some filtered water. I heated up my micro heat cap in the microwave and put it over the plastic cap for 20 minutes and I cannot begin to tell you all how moist and silky-satiny my hair feels. Wow, just wow! I read in one post somewhere where someone used either a hair steamer or heat cap (different effects, I know) after putting in their leave-in and somewhere else where someone used it with oil....Wow...that is all I can say right now.

WOW! - ok - I am all over that one....
Thanks mama.....

adw425

My hair is ridiculously silky straight this morning and satiny smooth -- no wave pattern let alone a curl pattern. I think I will do this a couple times a week at least.

BeautifulRoots

I wonder, would this work if I put on a plastic cap and sat under a hooded dryer...I dont have a heat cap or a steamer...

Netta1

hmmm I like steam too I used to do them all the time in the steam room at the gym...

I would put shea butter in my hair and sit in the steam room for a long time

Steam does not unfrizz my hair, which is good b/c I like frizz- but steam actually swells my hair and makes it feel moist and spongy..

ebsalita

Bumping to subscribe.

Also does anyone have any information on the Maxiglide Express, the one with the steam? How do you rate it's performance and how does your hair feel?

Also - anyone from the UK used a Maxiglide???

Can you tell me whether it works properly with a standard adapter. I wouldn't want to spend all of that money to have the UK voltage fry it after a while...:burning:

TIA

nestlequik

I would imagine a garment steamer would be too hot to use on your hair. The steamer I bought produces lukewarm steam.

Well if folks use the garment steamer, I hope they're careful not to burn themselves.

kinkycurlygurl

I don't know if steam will keep the hair straight against humidity. I live in NYC and in the summer we get super high humidity. The only thing I've found that keeps my hair looking the way I styled it was to wear styles that don't depend on having straight hair.

I used to do wash and go's, now I wear braided styles. On good thing about humidity is that it sure can puff up a bun.:lachen: My buns are bigger in the summer than in the winter and I love it.

Try learning one or two fancy braids like a 4 strand braid or a fish tail braid and rock those.