Does steaming protect natural hair from humidity frizz?

curlscience

I'm a natural girl and this is my very first post! I just visited the salon for a color treatment and the stylist put me under the steamer before she flat ironed my hair. She said she does this for all the natural girls she presses because it helps to lengthen the cuticle and "break down the hair" by adding moisture so that her client's presses last a long time (at least 2 weeks).

Now I don't press regularly (just twice a year) however my hair styles (e.g. twist/braid-outs) are usually ruined (by frizz and the expansion or "puffing" of my hair) by the 100% humidity frequently seen in my state. I usually have to resort to wearing a bun the majority of the time (which is not a bad thing, but I do like to mix it up!).

She said that a monthly steaming would help with the dreaded humidity frizz/puffing I'm about to experience in the next couple of months. Anyone have success with steaming to prevent frizzing in a high humidity climate?

Thanks for your help.

Suerte

It makes sense. Infuse the hair with moisture so it's full of moisture and doesn't absorb any out of the air and then by sealing the cuticle with heat...you seal ample amounts of moisture in, and outside moisture stays out.

Maxiglide and Conair use the same technique...kind of.

bludaydreamr

My stylist started me on my transition and the steaming helped to restore the moisture level in my hair and scalp. I would say it helped.:yep: In fact I have been eye-balling one for about a month!

Suerte

oh... i feel silly now... :blush:

i must find a way to duplicate this, maybe it will keep my hair from reverting so easily...

Don't feel silly!

The only bad thing about steaming hair...is that in order for steam to exist...a liquid needs to be heated to a certain temperature...which can burn skin. So I'd suggest investing in an actual hair steaming machine... or get creative with the clothes steamer, lol.

Some gyms have steam saunas, too... slather on some deep conditioner... sit close to the rocks... and pour mad water on them, LOL

Ballerina_Bun

Don't feel silly!

The only bad thing about steaming hair...is that in order for steam to exist...a liquid needs to be heated to a certain temperature...which can burn skin. So I'd suggest investing in an actual hair steaming machine... or get creative with the clothes steamer, lol.

Some gyms have steam saunas, too... slather on some deep conditioner... sit close to the rocks... and pour mad water on them, LOL

conditioning in the sauna is great. Not only does it benefit the hair, the skin too.

Ms.Honey

Don't feel silly!

Excellent idea:yep:. I was going to buy a hair steamer off of ebay but the water reservoir seemed too small and would need constant refilling. Have you tried the clothes steamer?

Suerte

Excellent idea:yep:. I was going to buy a hair steamer off of ebay but the water reservoir seemed too small and would need constant refilling. Have you tried the clothes steamer?

I would prefer not to say :look:

Yes I have. I have one that I...found...in a hotel room. It works great for steaming my face, my hair, and things I am too lazy to iron.

Ms.Honey

oooo, no:blush: Maybe I should get the ebay one huh:sad:? Ooops, couldn't see the whole post at first it was too light:spinning:. I'm sleepy y'all:yawn::grin: So you got yours for free like complimentary shampoo. They wanted you to have it:grin:

Last edited:

Lotus

*Im glad ya'll bumped this. I was looking for this thread*.

I've never had my hair steamed. But, based on my related experience, I agree. The more moisture your strands hold (steam, ionic/tourmaline) the longer your press w/last. I think that's part of the reasoning why *w/an old school press* grease is put on wet hair instead of dry hair before hot combing. I also think that'w why Chi Silk Infusion and alot of other heat protectants state to apply to wet or moist hair.

curlscience

Suerte now that's an idea! I can save that $50 monthly salon trip (and time spent up in there) and buy one of those to steam my hair at home (I don't have a salon membership so the sauna is out and I could do it in the shower but GA is in a water shortage)...

:yep:

Thank you ladies for the ideas!

sunshinebeautiful

I'm not natural but ya'll making me want to go out and buy a steamer.

My hair is texlaxed and when I straighten when I'm at home visiting (Florida), I get extra frustrated by how it starts to frizz and poof out. I'm going to try this myself. :yep:

SW2011

I just heard about this two days ago at the salon/spa that I went to. They specialize in natural hair, and although I'm not natural, it made me want to start transitioning. The nail tech was telling me that they steam the hair because the theory is the more moisture in your hair, the straighter it will stay. Most people in the salon were natural, and they all had beautiful heads of hair.

momi

Absolutely. I was paying $20 per session at the salon until I bought my own. I am a "straight" natural so it was worth the investment for me. Now when I visit the salon on occasion I dont get the steam treatment because I cant see paying extra for something I can do for myself at home.

Lucky's Mom

OK ladies - I am intrigued - I have a clothes steamer - So

Can someone tell me how they use that????

And How long should one steam - If I were to go to the spa - or got to the shop????

TIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drunk:

Lucky's Mom

OK ladies - I am intrigued - I have a clothes steamer - So

Can someone tell me how they use that????

And How long should one steam - If I were to go to the spa - or got to the shop????

TIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drunk:

BrownSkin2

When I go to the salon for a press, I get a steam treatment and my presses last til I wash again. They usually steam me for about 20 minutes. I do think it makes my presses last longer.

curlscience

Yesterday 01:08 PM
BrownSkin2 When I go to the salon for a press, I get a steam treatment and my presses last til I wash again. They usually steam me for about 20 minutes. I do think it makes my presses last longer.

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. Hopefully with more frequent steaming the humidity won't wreak havoc on my hair this summer.

NOLA2NY

Can some one tell me their regime when they steam...
Shampoo..condition then steam...steam with conditioner...without conditioner....airdry after steaming....blow dry...etc...Can you give me a step by step.....because this may actually save my summer....cause I'm tired of a bun! :nono:

foxieroxienyc

Makes a lot of sense, I got hip to something similar. I use Caruso rollers (and for the past 3 days I've been using them daily). They use steam in order to set the hair into curl. What I love to do is put in just a small dollop of leave-in and sometimes a little coconut oil and then proceed to put the curlers on and let them cool. When I take them out my hair is ULTRA SOFT, MOISTURIZED, and shiny. Even more the curls last all day. Steam is great for the hair.:yep::yep:

curlscience

NOLA2NY
Re: Does steaming protect natural hair from humidity frizz?

Can some one tell me their regime when they steam...
Shampoo..condition then steam...steam with conditioner...without conditioner....airdry after steaming....blow dry...etc...Can you give me a step by step.....because this may actually save my summer....cause I'm tired of a bun!
My stylist shampooed, conditioned, put me under the steamer (15 min), rinsed, blow dryed then flat ironed. The press came out excellent! Unfortunately I'm a runner so the press didn't last that long, which I knew it wouldn't with my exercise routine :ohwell: