MaxiGlide (reliability)- Breaks Easily?

Twisties

Hi Ladies

I had planned to purchase the Maxiglade this Friday to flat iron my hair. I read so many good reviews about.... but when I visit the Folica site there are lost of complaints about it breaking pretty fast --like in 3 - 6 monhts. Has that been anyone's experience. If that is the case, I will get the Chi. Help!

BTW, I am all natural and it seemed like the teeth in the Maxiglide would help deal with the kinks better so that was also the reason I wanted to get it -- I just don't want to waste my money. Please let me know your expriences with reliability (not so much how it works, since I've read good reviews on that part).

Candiss

Maxiglide is coming out with a new model early next year. I think it's in response to so many of the complaints on Folica. So many people on that site say it's clunky, not durable, to heavy, the pins break the hair. You should wait until then before you buy one because I think it will probably be a sleeker, more durable and user friendly model.

Twisties

ok, Thanks Candiss for answering.

I was so ready to go and get it and then I went to the Folica site to double check on it and read a different section where people get ask and answer questions about their experiences with Maxiglide. I will probably get another iron since I want to do this on Saturday. I was at one time considering the Sally's brand flat iron, but I saw a post where it was recalled so that went out the window too :).

sprungonhairboards

Mine still works like a charm. Never had any problems with it and I've had it about 2 years. I don't use it anymore(the pins break my hair) but it works. I was natural when I got mine too. It's the ONLY plug in flatiron that EVER got my natural hair straight. The pins make a huge difference. Unfortunately the same thing I love I now dislike about it, the pins.

Twisties

sprungonhairboards

hmmmmmmmmm now you have me wondering. The teeth in the Glide and the good reviews I got is what had me convinced to buy it. I just didn't know about reliability issues with it. I did read that the Chi and HAI gets natural hair straight too.

I have a 20% discount coupon to use and everything for that Maxiglide at Bed Bath and Beyond too! I just had to go and read that Folica site to cause more confusion for myself :D didn't I?

Yes, Candiss I will review my choice for the board.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Most flat irons have warrantees for this reason. I haven't been able to use mine yet, but I can't wait til I can.;) My solia coulsn't even bend my hair.:lol:

Twisties

ok dlewis and kinchen thanks for mentioning the warranty, i forgot all about that. i probably won't be using it THAT much anyway. i'll make up my mind by friday though :). especially if a new model is coming out--i wonder when that will be available.

kinchen what happened to your first one? did someone steal it?

Candiss did see any info on when the new model would be available?

ddtexlaxed that is so funny -- ebonically speaking "dese naps be's strong" :). that is why i stopped letting my sister press it for me in the summer--within 2 days it would look like nothing had been done to my hair. but she was using a regular non ceramic iron....which probably didn't help.

in Target today, i saw a ceramic iron with teeth by conair for $49.99-it said 100% ceramic plates...hmmmmmm:scratchch . it looked like a maxiglide knock off...

Last edited:

Twisties

ok, Pokahantas, two years is good. thanks for letting me know. maybe some of the folks who said their's broke quickly used it everyday.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Twisties said:
ok, Pokahantas, two years is good. thanks for letting me know. maybe some of the folks who said their's broke quickly used it everyday.

Yeah, I don't use mine excessively and I always treat it like a precious gem....cuz that's my baby:babyb: . Even if it did break, I would buy another one....that's how good it is. Good luck if you decide to get it.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

They must be dropping it at every use for that thing to break, lol, like the old flat irons back in the day I had about 3 of them that cracked right at the spring part and dropping it is what made them break.

Plus if your buying it from BEd Bath and Beyond you can always return it w/or w/o a receipt w/o a problem. The only problem I had w/ my maxiglide is a burnt smell that wouldn't go away, and I took back and exchanged it for a new one. I also never use the plate w/the pins.

Now if there comming out w/a much better one and Bed Bath and Beyond will be selling this new version I will be boxing this bad boy up and exchanging it for the better one, shoot. :look:

TropicalRose

what makes the maxiglide so different from others? is it just because it lets out steam? does that mean that you have to add water to it somehow?

i dont get it. sorry. but i am interested in getting one for xmas

i also saw some new ones in target and almost flipped out because they mentioned something about steam (the steam is released when you use the flatiron while your hair is wet. so i assumed that it was different from the maxiglide)

dlewis

TropicalRose said:
what makes the maxiglide so different from others? is it just because it lets out steam? YES does that mean that you have to add water to it somehow? YES, it has a water chamber

i dont get it. sorry. but i am interested in getting one for xmas

i also saw some new ones in target and almost flipped out because they mentioned something about steam (the steam is released when you use the flatiron while your hair is wet. so i assumed that it was different from the maxiglide)