MID STRAND SPLITS

yup, i've had them before. i'd find a shed hair and do the pull test for elasticity, and it'd splinter apart in the middle of the hair, and just snap.

i guess the best way to counteract them would be to do a hard protein treatment, deep condition afterwards, and then to leave the hair alone.

i had a ton of mid-strand splits back in september (when i unofficially joined the hide your hair challenge). after 2 months of leaving it alone, and regular protein and moisture treatments, my hair's doing a lot better. i haven't seen a split like that in weeks.

ANYONE HAVE MID STRAND SPLITS? WHAT CAN YOU DO TO TREAT THEM? HOW DO YOU GET THEM?

Hello,

I used to get them when I got happy with my flatiron. Heat would just shred my ends. That was before I found LHCF and figured out that flatirons and OIL don't mix. For the last 9 years I would flatiron with Kemi Oyl and I could never figure out why my ends split so bad. I say just make sure your hair is moisturized, minimize heat and use a heat protectant like Chi Silk Infusion. Use a light protein treatment (or a strong one if necessary) and follow with a very moisturizing conditioner. If you have a lot of them you may need to consider a trim. I've cut about 5 inches in the last few months to get rid of shreded ends, and that was when I was natural BEFORE the highlights and relaxer!

Last edited:
well,, i used to have those alot when i had a relaxer badly overlapped... u can stop them from continuing to happen but u cant fix ones that are already formed,, that hair is going to still break sooner or later,, the hair is structurally weakened at that point and u can fix that with anything,,, you can be more gentle, less heat, use protein treatments and make sure ur well moisturized to prevent new ones from happening

I used to have really bad mid-strand splits when I was over hennaing my hair (every week) to try to save the damaged ends. The ends LOVED it - because they were fine, and thinned out and generally damaged. The hair closer to the root, however, HATED it, because it made the strand too brittle, and it would split a little bit above the color line.

So - too much protien can cause it - esp. if your more recently grown hair is thicker/in MUCH better shape than your ends.

Until you figure out what's causing them, you'll have a hard time treating them - if they've gotten better since you came round here, keep on doing what you are doing!

And can I just say, you and your daughter are GORGEOUS!!

Back