Mid strand splits

writtenthought

I have been taking really good care of my hair but I still have them. ANyone with healthy hair but still having mid shaft splits? What can I do to get rid of them? trimming does not help.

Fine 4s

I have been taking really good care of my hair but I still have them. ANyone with healthy hair but still having mid shaft splits? What can I do to get rid of them? trimming does not help.

Sorry to hear this. I have them too :( I think mine do this where my heat damaged ends meet my natural healthy hair. I have about 3.5 more inches to cut- I think.
Some things to think about:
Have you been applying more heat than usual? What kind of combs are you using? Are you brushing too much perhaps on wet hair? Are the splits in a particular area of your head like concentrated in the back, middle? What types of hair accessories are you using? etc.

TexturedTresses

I saw a mid - shaft split on one of my shed hairs and freaked out too. I hate split ends and have the notion that wherver the split is it will do one of two things: split up the shaft or break off where the split end is.
My problem with this is that mid shaft splits are impossible to see until they break off. So how do you just cut where the split is? Thanks for mentioning this op.

BillyJay

The could be a number of things, but what comes to mind is heat damage.
If it looks like the eye of a needle, then its probably damage caused by excessive heat.

writtenthought

I do not brush my hair. I comb with a wide tooth comb while i have conditioner in. The only brush I may use is a denman. Mine don't break off. I'm just upset because my hair looks awful straight. I'm tired of trimming. I'm not getting any growth with all the trimmming and I still have splits. I didn't have any when I was relaxed. What can I do? I want to cut off an inch and do human hair braids till dec.

JustKiya

I don't use ANY direct heat (I steam my hair, occasionally), I use seamless combs, and I still get mid-strand splits and eye of the needle splits. *shrug*

I don't get a lot, and they don't cause a lot of breakage (because I barely have any breakage) so I don't worry about em. :lol:

TexturedTresses

The could be a number of things, but what comes to mind is heat damage.
If it looks like the eye of a needle, then its probably damage caused by excessive heat.

I think this might be me from when I was learning to care for my hair. I didn't know how to rollerset so all i was doing was blowdrying and flatironing and I didn't know how to do it properly. I thought heat protectant was optional.

crazydaze911

i get them. dont know why. too much bunning? idk - i try to alternate the location of the bun and not bun tight. i'm transitioning now but have always had them and they drive me nuts cuz i cant reach them and dont trust anyone else to find them behind my head. I TRIED to have a beautician trim the mid-splits as if my hair was in layers and i ended up with a LOT of inches cut and a jennifer aniston style hair do - HATED IT. that freaked me out and now i only trim the ends...... im guessing its old heat damage.....bumping for a solution.

JustKiya

And see, that's the weird thing - I KNOW mine isn't from heat damage, because I've never used direct heat on the head of hair I currently have.
I don't have any color left, so it's not chemical damage.
It could be stress from using seamed combs, but it'll be a couple of years before I can prove or disprove that.
I'd suspect it's not from the natural kinks in my hair, as the relaxed ladies are getting the same thing.
*thinks*
My hair isn't long enough to ponytail or bun, so it's not repeated stress from that.
I rarely use hair toys/bobby pins/elastics, so I doubt it's from that, either.

I really don't know.

cocopuff06

bumping for more responses...

I am having this same problem. I am natural and I recently got my hair flatironed and that is when I noticed them. Since I don't use heat on my hair often, I don't think that was the problem. I'm really concerned and think it might be because my hair is natural and coils around itself so so much. Should I get it straightened again so that all my strands don't have to be hugging each other, or will it do better in its natural state? And when flat-ironed, how can I moisturize to avoid further damage without reverting?