Military babes support group!

Kawaii1

I don't know how many military/prior enlisted ladies we have but I am thinking if we have enough then we can start a support thread. If you are active enlisted or recently discharged then join this thread. Lets get your stats, the standards: hair type, processed or natural,hair goal, hair problems.

Also I'd like to know if you are active or not, have you reached your goal, what things have you done to counter your problems and if you are deployed or home station.

Me I am active duty Air Force currently deployed to the sand box.

My hair type is 4b(afro, kinky) processed at neck length.
My goal: apl-bsl
Hair issues: breakage.

So far my hair is doing better but the dry air, exercise sweat, previous over processing (stupid hair dresser acting like the perm needed to stay in forever) has taked a toll. I am fighting the breakage with moisture but I worry whether pulling my hair back constatly is hurting me?

Ya'll know us military ladies have extra special needs and concerns, :grin:

natural_one

Hi, I am a military babe! I am stationed in Okinawa at Kadena.
Right now I am 3b/4a relaxed, just below shoulder length. Working towards APL!

My only issues here are the humidity and the fact that I work out everyday. I have given up on wearing any curls in my hair. I mostly wear ponytails or cute updos.. Only on super special occasions will I use heat on my hair, and so far thats only been two times! :grin:

I have just discovered Dom products, castor oil and air drying. My hair is so healthy and strong now! I just to deal with a lot of breakage but not anymore.

Last edited:

domniqqt

Hi am a military babe. I am active duty Air Force stationed in Biloxi, MS.
I am currently 100% natural. I am just now barely able to put my hair in a pony tail :) so I am happy. My hair coal is to reach shoulder length unstretched. Right now my hair seems fine, I just have to get my ends trimmed.

TRYING2GROW

I'm militay. I am stationed at Ft. Gordon, Ga. 4a,b hair; shoulder lenth, relaxed. Ponytails takes a toll on my hair. Since may, I have been wearing a half wig, and now I am currently have braids. So, it's doing better. I don't do pt regularly, so the excessive sweat is not a problem, but back when I was doing it everyday. It took a toll on my hair.

tarheelgurl

I'm not in the military but wanted to say THANKS to all of you for being so brave supporting our country!

ETA: And looking fabulous doing it!

mommylioness

I'm militay. I am stationed at Ft. Gordon, Ga. 4a,b hair; shoulder lenth, relaxed. Ponytails takes a toll on my hair. Since may, I have been wearing a half wig, and now I am currently have braids. So, it's doing better. I don't do pt regularly, so the excessive sweat is not a problem, but back when I was doing it everyday. It took a toll on my hair.

I am prior service, so I feel you on the ponytails. It seemed like I could never stay past shoulder-length for very long because I would have damage from the ponytails and end up cutting it off. I went natural and I even started my locks while I was in, and I caught hell for it.
I am 4a natural and my issues are dry scalp and hair. My goal length is waist-length.

Naiema1

Hi I am prior service (Army), but I'm currently contracting in Iraq. The heat here is something serious on my hair. I am 100% natural. I'm in braids right now. My goal is to grow heathly long strands of hair. I'm just getting into the idea of taking care of my hair. I wished I had knew about this Site when I was relaxed, maybe I wouldv'e had a head a good long healthy hair. But oh well, starting over now and learning and understanding my hair. Right now I have about 3 inches of hair. I hope for long hair one day. When I was relaxed I had a pretty good length, but the longer it grew, the thinner it got, so eventually I just decided to cut it short and then eventually went big chopped.

Last edited:

Kawaii1

For the deployed ladies, where are you getting your hair products? How is your hair holding up? what are you using?

For all the ladies~What have you done to counter act the damage on your hair from ponytails?

VinDieselsWifey

hey! I'm active duty Air Force stationed at Yokota, Japan

hair type: 4a/3c, texlaxed
current length: bra strap
goal:waist length-hip length
Hair issues: constant shedding, retaining length, finding a good moisturizing & detangling shampoo, moisture

i made a homemade garlic infused oil to help with shedding. i've only used it once so i can't say if it works. i'm starting to do co-washes & deep conditioning 2-3x/week instead of 1 to help with moisture. it seems to be helping. i'm only using shampoo 1-2x/month diluted w/water. i've used Elucence, Jason's, Blended Beauty poos, but i'm thinking about using shikakai powder to wash my hair because they don't detangle my hair at all & even when diluted with water, my hair isn't soft.

VinDieselsWifey

For the deployed ladies, where are you getting your hair products? How is your hair holding up? what are you using?

For all the ladies~What have you done to counter act the damage on your hair from ponytails?

sometimes i just wear a plait pinned up.

apollo

Hi, I am active duty Army stationed at Macdill airforce base.
Current length bra strap. 3c/4a.
Last relaxer 4 May 07.
The only issues I have is the FL humidity and very frizzy hair from wearing the beret.

MissMeWithThatIsh

I'm an aspiring to join the Air Force (I'm at Cannon AFB, in New Mex with the sig o)... Can any of you ladies, if you were in bootcamp in the past 2 years, enlighten me on the experience? Do they allow you to take care of your hair in bootcamp or are you highly limited?

VinDieselsWifey

I'm an aspiring to join the Air Force (I'm at Cannon AFB, in New Mex with the sig o)... Can any of you ladies, if you were in bootcamp in the past 2 years, enlighten me on the experience? Do they allow you to take care of your hair in bootcamp or are you highly limited?

taking care of your high while in boot camp is HIGHLY limited. i would recommend wearing cornrows or micros. i wore cornrows. i rinsed them in the shower everyday & when i got a chance, i would oil my scalp. we couldn't take any containers in the shower with us. we had to pour our poo/con in our hair & our body wash in our hand & walk in the shower like that. we couldn't even use wash cloths, just our hands. but showers, IF we got one, were only about 5 minutes long...

i'm still trying to forget those days...

camibella

I am a recently discharged Active Army chique. I totally neglected my hair during my 5 1/2 years so ummm yea I'm not realizing that I want it back healthy first of all and now i want to really take care of it and reap the benefits of longer, stronger hair.

hair type: 4a/3c, transitioning from relaxed to texlaxed
current length: somewhere midneck
goal:waist length-hip length
Hair issues: Keeping my ends from splitting and developing a regime and FOLLOWING IT!! Finding the time to do hair care.

Between 50 hour work weeks, two kids (8 and 1) and online college I'm a bit limited in my free time but I really am trying to work on it.

Welcome all military dimes.... as we journey to strong, long, and healthy hair while serving. I'm so proud of you all.

I was stationed in
  • South Korea (Camp Red Cloud)
  • Fort Lewis, Washington
  • Kuwait (Arifjahn, Camp Victory, Camp Pennsylvania, New York... all over Kuwait basically)
  • Iraq (LSA Anaconda, Balad Airfield, and Camp Pacemaker)
  • Afghanistan
  • and to Germany for a few hours (can I claim that?) :lachen:
I love this forum. It is very positive and encouraging. I'm hoping in 3 years I'm at my waistlength and can provide for others some inspiration and a regimen to help them out as well

MissMeWithThatIsh

taking care of your high while in boot camp is HIGHLY limited. i would recommend wearing cornrows or micros. i wore cornrows. i rinsed them in the shower everyday & when i got a chance, i would oil my scalp. we couldn't take any containers in the shower with us. we had to pour our poo/con in our hair & our body wash in our hand & walk in the shower like that. we couldn't even use wash cloths, just our hands. but showers, IF we got one, were only about 5 minutes long...

i'm still trying to forget those days...

Wow, I guess, if I go I'll get some twists. I hate Micros! They thinned my edges serious. And cornrowS? I'll be ready to can those in a second.

How long ago were you in bootcamp. I'll PM you.

camibella

Hi, I am active duty Army stationed at Macdill airforce base.
Current length bra strap. 3c/4a.
Last relaxer 4 May 07.
The only issues I have is the FL humidity and very frizzy hair from wearing the beret.

Berets suck w/ the way they seem to suck the moister from your hair. I always had a small alfalfa deal when i took it off because i didnt use gel or anything so ummmm yea!!! I feel you

mochafusion

I'm in Colorado at the Air Force Academy. The cold year long weather has been killing my growth, this winter I'm gonna do a Hide Your Hair Challenge. I'm currently an inch or two above APL. I think I'll be in Florida next so, it's gonna be quite the change but I welcome it.

To all the ladies who have problems with breakage from ponytails, I found relief (when i was consistent) by baggying under a phony bun to protect my ends and it looks very professional. I hope this will help you all!!

I've been a member of LHCF since 2004 but have only recently decided to be consistently good to my hair!!

Kawaii1

Berets suck w/ the way they seem to suck the moister from your hair. I always had a small alfalfa deal when i took it off because i didnt use gel or anything so ummmm yea!!! I feel you

Yeah taht beret is always messing up my do. Either jackin up my ponytail or smashing my feathered hair. :ohwell:

Kawaii1

Wow, I guess, if I go I'll get some twists. I hate Micros! They thinned my edges serious. And cornrowS? I'll be ready to can those in a second.

bootcamp has changed, I heard it was easier. So when I was there we had male TI's so we were lucky. We got to shower how we wanted and not have to worry about them being there when we were sleeping and we lucked up with the female TI wh watched us. She was a sweetheart. If you get male TI's get a watch with an alarm and then wake up like 10 minutes early. It's a lifesaver, from making your bed properly with more time to taking a sh*t and not being rushed. We made our brother flight look bad, :grin:

I would get some micros. If you get them then just ask them to braid the braids a little bigger then normal, I did not have any edges break doing it like this. since bootcamp is longer, your braids will jacked up and then you will probably want to take them down and be running around looking like *ss for two months.

Oh, please,please,don't get in without having a specifi job. No matter how bad you are ready to start. even if your recruiter tells you there are more jobs available once you get there. YOU WILL BE A COP! Just wait for what you want. Don't be a cop, the military is downsizing right now (atleast the AF is and you won't get a retrain unless they stop in the next few years). Oh and you deploy crazy for longer then everybody else.

Last edited:

Ivonnovi

Hooooah! I've been doing the "mobilized" thing for 2 + years now. I've been around since right after they started doing PT in sneakers instead of boots.

I just wanted to chime in on the Ponytail's harming my hair tip. I found that the band from the top of Knee highs are much less harmful to the hair, and .....are less painful ......I am VERY tenderheaded. The band provides a very comfortable hold, and they lasts for years.

When in Iraq, I spritzed my twisted hair with a condtioner/water mix regualarly. I did not perm at all while there. Knowing how to re-do and maintain my braids/twists paid great dividens.

Kawaii1

Hooooah! I've been doing the "mobilized" thing for 2 + years now. I've been around since right after they started doing PT in sneakers instead of boots.

I just wanted to chime in on the Ponytail's harming my hair tip. I found that the band from the top of Knee highs are much less harmful to the hair, and .....are less painful ......I am VERY tenderheaded. The band provides a very comfortable hold, and they lasts for years.

When in Iraq, I spritzed my twisted hair with a condtioner/water mix regualarly. I did not perm at all while there. Knowing how to re-do and maintain my braids/twists paid great dividens.

:lachen: been waitin for a hoooah!

MissMeWithThatIsh

bootcamp has changed, I heard it was easier. So when I was there we had male TI's so we were lucky. We got to shower how we wanted and not have to worry about them being there when we were sleeping and we lucked up with the female TI wh watched us. She was a sweetheart. If you get male TI's get a watch with an alarm and then wake up like 10 minutes early. It's a lifesaver, from making your bed properly with more time to taking a sh*t and not being rushed. We made our brother flight look bad, :grin:

I would get some micros. If you get them then just ask them to braid the braids a little bigger then normal, I did not have any edges break doing it like this. since bootcamp is longer, your braids will jacked up and then you will probably want to take them down and be running around looking like *ss for two months.

Oh, please,please,don't get in without having a specifi job. No matter how bad you are ready to start. even if your recruiter tells you there are more jobs available once you get there. YOU WILL BE A COP! Just wait for what you want. Don't be a cop, the military is downsizing right now (atleast the AF is and you won't get a retrain unless they stop in the next few years). Oh and you deploy crazy for longer then everybody else.

Thanks for the advice. Yea my boyfriend just reenlisted and they waited mad long to give him his CJR... and then he put in a recruiter's package. :rolleyes: . . . and he's waiting on that.

I think I'd get me some twists...because Lord knows I Hate Micros. I micro'd for like 3 years...and I now HATES THEM!!!

And yea I'ma wait. I refuse to be a mil pig! :nono:

Ivonnovi

I understand that you hate Micro's, but I don't really recommend twists, unless you get Singleses twists. I've not seen 2 many twisted styles that "look" like they'ed make it through the rigors of BT. IMHO

1god1

I don't know how many military/prior enlisted ladies we have but I am thinking if we have enough then we can start a support thread. If you are active enlisted or recently discharged then join this thread. Lets get your stats, the standards: hair type, processed or natural,hair goal, hair problems.

Also I'd like to know if you are active or not, have you reached your goal, what things have you done to counter your problems and if you are deployed or home station.

Me I am active duty Air Force currently deployed to the sand box.

My hair type is 4b(afro, kinky) processed at neck length.
My goal: apl-bsl
Hair issues: breakage.

So far my hair is doing better but the dry air, exercise sweat, previous over processing (stupid hair dresser acting like the perm needed to stay in forever) has taked a toll. I am fighting the breakage with moisture but I worry whether pulling my hair back constatly is hurting me?

Ya'll know us military ladies have extra special needs and concerns, :grin:

I am active duty Air Force...stationed at Grand Forks AFB, ND. I just got back from Iraq a few months ago. I am in the middle of transitioning from relaxed to natural. While I was deployed, I used heat maybe two times. I wore my hair in twists and braids. My hair loved it. I washed it every two days (CoWashes). Living in ND, I really don't have any other options except to do my hair on my own. I could travel an hour to Fargo, but since I am transitioning, it's not necessary. Oh, I've been transitioning for almost 1 1/2 yrs....best decision I ever made.

Ivonnovi

DA Photo with briads?

Has anyone done this? Mine are neat, and lay flat in a ponytail/bun. My only concern is the the cornrow parts that show in the front and sides. Fortunately they don't make E-10's so I'm not too worried about it limiting my career. I just don't want to set a bad example/precedence.

LaShanne

Air Force in da House!!! I'll be celebrating 20yrs on Friday. I'm stationed at Andrews AFB, MD and i love it here. I've never had so many hair options till I got stationed here. The only thing about the military that's affected my hair growth negatively is having to wear my hair up ALL the time and putting on/taking off my hat constantly.

HisBestFriend

DA Photo with briads?

Has anyone done this? Mine are neat, and lay flat in a ponytail/bun. My only concern is the the cornrow parts that show in the front and sides. Fortunately they don't make E-10's so I'm not too worried about it limiting my career. I just don't want to set a bad example/precedence.

I did and my hair looked fine but my uniform was the issue, go figure. I didn't keep the photo and by the time I went and got another photo, I'd gotten all of my hair chopped off. But everyone who saw the photo thought my hair was great and my uniform sucked (all races)

BTW: YLMB - where in TX are you?

Kawaii1

I don't do micro's anymore. they are hair abusive. Being over here in Kuwait it's difficult to get hair stuff but I'm about to take a little trip to a big ass army base so I am excited!!

So how do you deal with pulling your hair back? I have this little patch at the top of my head by the forehead and it is kind of thin, I didn't really notice it until I started a stretch. I have never had this problem.