Military babes support group!

Quty_Bug

Qutybug,

We just left Ramstein. Where do you work? I worked at 16th AF. Man, I miss Germany so much. :yep:

I just got here in October and so far i'm loving it. I'm working with OSI, where are you stationed at now?.

Feel free to throw some of your favorite places out here my way. I'm still looking for a favorite restuarant, and a goold place to get my nails and other beauty needs done at.

Me! (I'm not in the military, but a civilan, do i count?)

Of COURSE!!!!! We are alll struggling out here!!!! You just might be struggling a little less than I am....and getting paid more.:lachen:

Just playin' lady. I know ya'll are dealing with it too. I am on BIAP, basically on Stryker. What about you????

Kawaii1

Hey thegirltolove!!!

Guuuurrrrllllll, you can HAVE Hawaii. :nono: I can't deny, the weather is nice - it never gets cold (or even cool, for that matter). But that's where my love affair ends with this place. The traffic is HORRENDOUS.

Unfortunately, we'll probably be here for a LONG time (at least until I retire in 5 years), because my husband is Army, and this is one of the few places we can actually live under the same roof.

Qutybug,

We just left Ramstein. Where do you work? I worked at 16th AF. Man, I miss Germany so much. :yep:

NAKISH66,

Have you hit up Roma's in Speicher yet? :lick: Girl, that was my HOLE! :lachen:

What about all the things you can do? Hawaii is beautiful. What's your afsc? See I'm a cop and I would love to get off work and go hang gliding or something. Doing beach patrols and putting out camp fires. How awesome is that? I know it's expensive but all the swimming and snorkeling. It would be so awesome. You could go island hopping. I would love it.

DMJ's Mom

Its actually not nearly as bad as my first deployment so in that light i can't really complain. I spent WAAAYYYY too much money trying to get some quality hair stuff out here :grin:

Its actually not nearly as bad as my first deployment so in that light i can't really complain. I spent WAAAYYYY too much money trying to get some quality hair stuff out here :grin:

LAWD!!!! Tell me about it!!!! I have spent a fortune already out here!!!!! A lot of the times, the shipping costs more than the actual product itself!!!!:ohwell:

I'll be there at the end of the month! I've been packing up my products. The last time I deployed my hair got sooooooo DRY. I had to cut 4 inches when I came back. Hopefully that will not be the case this time!!

MAN!!!! I know what you mean!!! Especially around this time of year. Frequent washing has been helping a lot. I baggy at night and let my hair dry while I am getting ready for work. Don't have many options outside of bunning and braids. So I guess this will be a year of protective styling.

The hair has been doing well so far, but I know I am gonna need a good trim when I get back. I just wish the PX sold some good relaxers. I hate having to order everything!!!:wallbash:

Kawaii1

Try to request they carry it. They take requests at ours. Some of the things I've seen I was suprised.They have ORS hair mayo!

Uh, if you get a chance to visit another base then you can get some or if you are lucky I might mail you a box. Our PX carries a few.

thegirltolove,
I was on Victory (16mos) I'm now in the IZ....the Liberty P/X is getting better, they have ors, hell i even found nexxus but for all of my deployed ladies....here's some websites www.gmbshair.com, www.texasbeautysupply.com, www.drugstore.com....oh and amazon has alot of stuff.....

Yeah, I know it is getting better. I was on Liberty Aug '05-Aug '06. Now I am on Stryker and this PX here SUCKS!!!!! They are so "sometimey" about the products they carry. I actually found some ORS Replenishing Packs when I first got here and haven't seen them SINCE!!!

The only thing that kills me a lot of the time is the shipping charges!!!! One place I found that seems a lot better than the other places is Payne's Beauty Supply http://paynesbeautysupply-salon.stores.yahoo.net/

They are actually having a pretty good sale on Kera Care stuff for folks that want to stock up. Shipping isn't so bad either.

TwistedRoots

Back2Life Back2ReLaxer!
I'm active duty Air Force stationed at Charleston AFB, SC. Currently doing the Deid...can't wait to get home!

My Hair type: 4b (relaxed)
My length: Almost SL
Goal: APL-BSL
My problem: breakage...but not excessive.

I'm aircraft maintenance and working outside does a number on my hair. I alternate from a bun to a single braid. Not really much I can do for it the weather is not my friend i.e. the wind. :nono:

Last edited:

Babydall818

I am a army brat born and raised and I wanted to say THANK YOU LADIES FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING! My mom is now retired ... I miss it and probably will be going into the Air force in a year : )

EVEN THOUGH I don't know any of you - I Love ALL YOU !!!

I don't know how many military/prior enlisted ladies we have but I am thinking if we have enough then we can start a support thread. If you are active enlisted or recently discharged then join this thread. Lets get your stats, the standards: hair type, processed or natural,hair goal, hair problems.

Also I'd like to know if you are active or not, have you reached your goal, what things have you done to counter your problems and if you are deployed or home station.

Me I am active duty Air Force currently deployed to the sand box.

My hair type is 4b(afro, kinky) processed at neck length.
My goal: apl-bsl
Hair issues: breakage.

So far my hair is doing better but the dry air, exercise sweat, previous over processing (stupid hair dresser acting like the perm needed to stay in forever) has taked a toll. I am fighting the breakage with moisture but I worry whether pulling my hair back constatly is hurting me?

Ya'll know us military ladies have extra special needs and concerns, :grin:

Happy holidays! I'm also a MB. I'm active in the Navy stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC. The condition of my hair has improved tremendously from July 07 until now just by:
  • Constantly educating myself about proper hair care. Coming to this site regularly.
  • Not self relaxing but going to the salon for chemical services. I used to use Dudley's Mild and that relaxer was a bit too strong for me. Now < I use Design Essentials. Works like a charm.
  • Minimizing heat, combing, brushing.
  • Using only quality hair products (i.e. Desing Essentials line, Dominican Conditioners, no snag combs and brushes).
  • Reading Macherie's website. She's an absolute doll!
  • Complimenting other women w/beautiful healthy hair and asking questions.
I used to have uneven, dry, damaged hair by not caring for my hair properly (going to the field w/the Marines, intense PT, being lazy).
Then I finally had enough. Went to the salon and chopped off all damage hair above earlobe and now my hair is mid-neck length but it's much healthier than it was before. Still have a ways to go, but I'm determined to stay on track until I reach my ultimate hair goal which is mid back.
I'm under navy regs so as long as my hair is neat and doesn't fall beneath my collar, I'm good. The weather here in Eastern NC is unpredictable, one minute it's extremely cold, the next minute it's hot. I simply adjust to the weather that day and keep my hair conditioned and moisturized.

crumbling_images

Ok, I'm not in the military but I am a U.S. Contractor working in Iraq supporting the troops!! The heat during the summer is unbelievablel and the water is the harshed stuff on the planet. I'm currently taking a one month break from wearing my usual curly/kinky twists. I find my hair easier to care for while in braids/twists. My goal is to wear my extensions until my natural 4ab hair reaches full shoulder length unstretched. I have along ways to go. Right now, while wet, my hair hangs to my mid ear but stretches past the my chin when manipulated.

Do you find it difficutl to get certain products shipped to you out here?

Hi I am prior service (Army), but I'm currently contracting in Iraq. The heat here is something serious on my hair. I am 100% natural. I'm in braids right now. My goal is to grow heathly long strands of hair. I'm just getting into the idea of taking care of my hair. I wished I had knew about this Site when I was relaxed, maybe I wouldv'e had a head a good long healthy hair. But oh well, starting over now and learning and understanding my hair. Right now I have about 3 inches of hair. I hope for long hair one day. When I was relaxed I had a pretty good length, but the longer it grew, the thinner it got, so eventually I just decided to cut it short and then eventually went big chopped.

I am Active Duty Navy.
Currently stationed in Bremerton, Wa (Ship changed homeports)
My ship just arrived here a few days ago so I am not sure how the weather will effect my hair. I hope it helps it a lot being that it's not normally sunny here, and it's really cold.

When we were homeported in Italy My hair seemed to grow slower than normal.
I mainly just wear braids, but I am transitioning to wigs for a while.

I PT at least 5 days a week. Maybe that is having an effect on my growth.

Were you in LaMadd? I was there in 99-01 at NSA. Luv'd it! Sardinia is the Navy's best kept secret.

Kawaii1

Ok, I'm not in the military but I am a U.S. Contractor working in Iraq supporting the troops!! The heat during the summer is unbelievablel and the water is the harshed stuff on the planet. I'm currently taking a one month break from wearing my usual curly/kinky twists. I find my hair easier to care for while in braids/twists. My goal is to wear my extensions until my natural 4ab hair reaches full shoulder length unstretched. I have along ways to go. Right now, while wet, my hair hangs to my mid ear but stretches past the my chin when manipulated.

I've got stuff pretty easy so I wouldn't worry about that but I started using bottled water and I got some mizani chelating and neutralizng shampoo for the hard water. It's been going pretty weel. The hard water used to break my hair but I've been using the shampoo and it works well.

Hey there CI. I was put onto this wonderful site (by a wonderful lurker:grin:) for the BOBSA that says they offer free shipping to military! You might wanna check it out!

http://www.bobsaonlineca.com/catalog/

Bajan Beauty

Were you in LaMadd? I was there in 99-01 at NSA. Luv'd it! Sardinia is the Navy's best kept secret.

I was in LaMadd! From 99'-03'. I hated it at first. Takes some adjusting. I loved the summers, hated the winters. I was stationed on the ship. I mostly wore braids or wigs. What a small world!

ChoZyn

I'm stationed in Okinawa, Japan in the Marine Corps. I have had so much breakage and being in the USMC has caused alot of restrictions on how I can wear my hair in uniform. I also have to PT almost everyday so curled styles don't last...Any advice.

Ivonnovi

I'm stationed in Okinawa, Japan in the Marine Corps. I have had so much breakage and being in the USMC has caused alot of restrictions on how I can wear my hair in uniform. I also have to PT almost everyday so curled styles don't last...Any advice.

My #1 tip is to use homemade nylon ponytail holders on your hair. They last forever and do not damage/cut into your hair. I use these to hold my hair in place then use the scrunchies, bun(sock), or barrettes over it for "decoration". I've noticed less stress breakage by using this method.

By homemade I mean cutting off and using the top elastic part of knee-highs.

HTH​

MissMeWithThatIsh

I work at the PX now...
Can you ladies PLEASE send massive requests for PANTENE'S HAIR MASK...

Because I'm an RA and I have to order the stuff and it's blasphemy not having it!!! :ohwell:

I work at the PX now...

Because I'm an RA and I have to order the stuff and it's blasphemy not having it!!! :ohwell:

You know what???? I am sooooo on it!!! That along with some ORS replenishing paks. When I first got here, there were actually ORS replenishing paks, but I guess after they were purchased...they figured we didn't need them anymore. I will send in my request TODAY!!!

Thanks for reminding me!!!:grin:

MissMeWithThatIsh

You know what???? I am sooooo on it!!! That along with some ORS replenishing paks. When I first got here, there were actually ORS replenishing paks, but I guess after they were purchased...they figured we didn't need them anymore. I will send in my request TODAY!!!

Thanks for reminding me!!!:grin:

I'm at Cannon AFB and we have ORS Replenishing... but not the shampoo.
We have both ORS Mayo and African Org. Hair Mayo...
So cheap too !

Kawaii1

I work at the PX now...

For real! Because I really want to try that stuff out. I was getting ready to order it but I just get tired of ordering things. The PX needs to step up their game. What do I have to do to get it on the shelves? ORS Paks would be nice too. I'd be set if they would get these things.

thegirltolove~I am so glad you posted that. I want to order some motions stuff and I try to order at amazon but they have everything at all these different stores so you have to pay shipping for everywhere and that gets expensive. I gotta hit that store up.