Million dollar question..

Leshia

Has anyone gone from breakage to NO breakage? I think I was having the best hair results when I was putting Sulfur 8 on my hair AND scalp. I may just go back to that but unfortunately I love buying hair products. Anyone have a serious success story?

NAY007

i don't really have a success story.
i can only say that the biosynthesis line was pretty good for my hair (but expensive).
and when i wrap my hair or if i put it in a bun overnight it comes out very healthy and there is maybe one strand in my comb.
nay

mahogani

hi i was experiencing a temple breakage 7 years ago and did not know what to do then i discovered ORGANIC CARROT OIL i began to use it all around my temples and the back nape everyday and every night i even walked with a small container wherever i go and applied it to the trouble area after a couple if weeks my temples started to fill in i love this product now after 7 years gone by i never experienced any breakage at all i have so much hair around my temples and nape i can grab a handful!!!!! If anyone has bad breakage around temples and nape or balding around the area please go out and purchase organic carrot oil by organic root stimulator no substitutes!! 6.99-up /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Leshia

Nay, what do you put in your hair before putting it in a bun to allow it to be moist at takedown? I can't wrap my hair as it's NEVER dry when I wake up and I just don't have time for that hassle.

Julia

This is a very good question. Since I disovered hair care boards back in October 2002, I have seen a dramatic reduction in the breakage that I was experiencing. I think my breakage was due to overlapping. My hairdresser put relaxer on the ends of my hair in November 2001. This was the first time this was ever done to me and I did not know any better. Well I lost anywhere from 3-4 " in length as a result. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I just could not get my hair to stop breaking. If I just merely touched my hair oodles, and oodles of hair would come out in my hand, especially at the ends. Since moisturizing constantly, using alot of deep conditionings and the Alphogee/Ramoni protien treatments my bathroom floor and sink have never been so hair free! I still get a few strands here and there and some still comes off the ends, but not as much as before.

Leshia: do you moisturize your ends alot?

Paris Belle

I would say whatever works for you. Every product isn't for everyone. I saw a lot less breakage the last time I washed my hair, and I think it's because I've been moisturizing my hair faithfully a lot more than I used to in addition to a good new regimen.

I would also say that using little or no heat and wearing hair protected (via braids or protective styles help a lot). Protective styling, is where I have the most trouble, because I find that I never want to wear my hair up or that during the winter months it's hard to do the hair under hats the right way.. /images/graemlins/confused.gif But it really helps to do them and I am attempting to them more myself.

Leshia

Hey Julia, well, I guess to answer your question, "no". I do protein conditioners, moisturizing conditioners and dust my ends quite often but this is the first time this has happened...you know, I even sleep with conditioner in my hair all night long and the ends are still getting "crunchy"...I may try to focus more on them and use some sort of shea butter concoction. This cold air is killing my hair and my skin!

Leshia

you guys, I haven't worn my hair down in a few weeks so I know my ends aren't dry simply because of rubbing my clothes, it's got to be something more but with the changing of products of late, I just can't pinpoint it. I'm trying to find one or two good moisturizing products and just stick with those but I want to choose two GOOD ones. I can't keep switching products. My hair just freaks out when I do.

pebbles

When I started the Cathy Howes method, my breakage stopped and my hair started to grow. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leshia

Pebbles, what aspects of her method do you use? What are the specific things that have helped you? I have not bought her book but have been to the website...is it the conditioning? Do you use her conditioners or your own?

adrienne0914

broken record says: curl activator and vaseline on the ends works wonders... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

leejure

I second that Adrienne! This was the only thing that stop my hair from breaking (kept hair nice and hydrated).

I am a recent participant of the NO POO method and that too is resulting in hardly no hair loss during comb out!

-lee

pebbles

Hi Leshia,

I do use her conditioner. I started using her conditioner on Octorber 10, of 2002. I used it every 3 days faithfully for 2 months and it whipped my hair into shape. I also use her hair Dew as a moisturizer. I like it because it is light and non greasy. I have completely eliminated the curling iron and the blow dryer from my hair regime. I dust the ends of my hair if I notice any split ends, but I have stopped trimming every 8 weeks. I want to gain length. I make sure to wash my hair with shampoos especially designed for dry/ damaged or color treated hair. And after a relaxer, I never fail to do a protein treatment.

Now, I have started using other products for deep conditioning also, but I still use her conditioner once a week and ORS Hair Mayonnaise on the other days that I wash. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leshia

Pebbles, I just looked at your trail and our hair seems to be about the same length. Do you consider your hair shoulder length? Also, what do you do with it on a regular basis?

Leshia

*listens intently to the broken record** Okay, that's what I'll try BEFORE the shea butter! Just a night? In the morning before I go out??

Leshia

*SIGHS* Okay, Pebbles, I fear I may break out my credit card and try her conditioner (which I've been eyeing for months but seemed to be buying everything else but!).

LondonDiva

For me it's been moisture ALL the time when conditioning and also styling my hair. I spray my hair everyday with Natures Shine by ORS everyday and that helps wonders, esecially at night before applying the satin scarf and shines wonderfully the next day. The ORS Carrot oil mixed with WGO helps too. For me minimum breakage happens when I have lots of moisture on my hair. I'm just sorry I never clicked many years ago on this.

Leshia

Londondiva, when my hair stays moist I see the hair I'm proud of but the problem is trying to find the right products when you're out of your "climate element". It's been years and years since I've lived in weather this cold and I think my hair is yelling, "RETREEEAAAAAAAAAAATTT!" I'm on a mission to fight this "cold war"...

LondonDiva

Leisha

Welcome to the board. Wow you live in Korea!! Nice to see a member so far away on here.

I don't know what products you can get easily in Japan, but what works well for me once my hair is dry is ORS Carrot Oil (which is actually a creme) mixed with about 10 - 15 drops of Wild Growth oil. Like I mentioned with the Natures Shine. It is soyabean and coconut oil based. The only non naturaly ingredient in it is a cone which doesn't make the blind bit of difference. Believe me when I say my hair has held up. We have snow right now the heaviest it's been in 12 years and my hair is doing just fine. Consistent moisture is the key, like everyday. I spray like those men do with the jheri curl juice. LOL

Also Africa's best leave in hair mayo is good for detangling when the hair is damp and giving the ends some good moisture, and gives good slip. Deep conditioning every time after washing helps also. If I miss one condition which lasts about 20 minutes I notice the difference, so it's very important for me to keep up on this.

Organics by Africa best Hair lite tea tree gro moisturiser is like a fruity yellow butter. It's lovely and gives my hair a great shine. A little goes a long way with this. I hope this helps.

pebbles

Hi Leisha,

I guess I would consider my hair shoulder length. Usually I wear it up in a bun. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Leshia,

I really like her conditioner because it gives my scalp that tingling feeling. I really like it. However, it does not make my hair soft. What I usually do after I use it is to use the Mizani Moisturfuse for 10 minutes with heat. That makes my hair very soft. You may be able to use another deep conditioner that gives you strength and softness. Try the ORS Hair Mayonnaise. That's another good one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leshia

Pebbles! You weren't supposed to tell me you had to do something else besides Cathy's conditioners! *laughing* Well, maybe I'll have to try that moisturefuse as well. I'll also have to see what's available here. I did use some liquid leave-in hair mayo when i was in Georgia but having to order everything online really puts a damper on my product supply. Maybe I'll just get a different mayo (or use real mayo) and just focus on oiling these ends nightly!

pebbles

LOL,

Sorry Leshia. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Her conditioner is great but just doesn't give my hair the slip it needs. That's why I use the Mizani Moisturfuse. I also use Pantene instant hair quencher if I'm in a hurry. I love that. Just a few minutes with that on my hair and I can rinse and be good to go. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leshia

*laughing* that's okay...I'm taking this as a sign..I'vew been wanting to try that stuff anyhoo. Maybe along with the gel activator and the sulfur 8 on my ends, I'll have my winter hair care routine! If not, I'll have to whip out the card again to hit the Mizani stuff. *evil grin*

pebbles

Oh, Mizani is another line of products I love. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pebbles

Sorry girl. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I can tell you're a PJ too. I'm currently going through a "12 step program" for PJ's. I'll try to keep the raves at a minimum. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Leshia

Pebbles, being a junkie like myself, what have been your most fav buys? I know you adore your Mizani and Howse conditioners...anything else you find to be a "must-have"? Darn it, I'm doing it again....just LOOKING for something to buy!