Mixed Chicks Wins Trademark and Trade Dress Infringement Case

Shadiyah

Originally Posted by Mistycat
When did this become the "woe is me, walking down memory lane" thread. Some of y'all are taking this too personally and need to resolve those issues you have.

This is what set me off!!

BranwenRosewood

@RavenSR first off greenandchic know me. and I was not talking to her with that statement I was talking in general I said i didn't want to call out any names and this is not the first time this has happen so don't start jumping all over me because you feel like you want to take up for someone now. this happens all the time through out the board and most times everyone ignore the statement and keep it moving but because I didn't this time it's "what, what did I say" too many times it has been said about the hair and mixed thing on here. so now you are going to tell me what I can say and what I can not say. now it is I think the name is tacky. you know what I think is tacky is how people get into these clicks and if you are outside of them then you did something wrong or you said something wrong.

I didn't like what they said and what has been said through out this thread and call it what you want but I know what they said and then why should she have to clean up what she said the first time. she believe that most mixed people have 3 type hair so what that is no reason for anyone to say anything about it we all know that mixed people have all types of hair.

Shadiyah

I assumed you were talking about her post because that's the one you quoted. I am aware of the issue with being mixed on this board because when I joined I spent a lot of time in OT and I was one the people defending those who chose to acknowledge and embrace their entire heritage. Even though I am not mixed I love different cultures and see no reason to deny anyone something that is apart of them (culturally) esp. when I embrace cultures that have nothing to do with me.

@ the bolded: I do think the name is tacky. That has been my opinion since I first heard of the brand and that's not going to change just because of what you state is the reasoning behind the name. You can miss me with that clique foolishness. I stick to myself on this board and speak up when I feel like it no matter who I'm talking to or about.

@ the bolded: If she thinks all mixed people have type 3 hair but we know better she we correct the misconception? Why keep quiet about something is we know the person is misinformed and we have the correct information?

BranwenRosewood

no she jumped on me stating that I had little girl issues to resolve because I said something about my past.

and it was left alone until you just said something to me.

Shadiyah

I was not referring to Mistycats comment to you. I was talking about you saying other poster jumped on MixedGirl for her original post.

Shadiyah

RavenSR who are you to tell me to go to off topic? everything that I am talking about has to do with this product and you coming in here and telling me about what you think I should do don't mean nothing just like you feel as thought mixedgirl could be corrected i can also correct and I have been saying the whole time why the name is the way and why the marketing is the way it is. but every one wants to go in to this whole things about mixed people. I was not the one who brought it up.

but how you talk to me and how the other one talk to me you will get a response. she going to tell me I need counseling because I was giving an example and you now going to tell me who I jumped on they can speak for themselves. Bozcurls and I were having a discussion and it was over. enyo was trying to say that it only said on the bottle if you are black you can use the product and leaving out all the other races they mentioned on the bottle so I wanted to make sure that everyone else knew that.

BranwenRosewood

@RavenSR who are you to tell me to go to off topic? everything that I am talking about has to do with this product and you coming in here and telling me about what you think I should do don't mean nothing just like you feel as thought mixedgirl could be corrected i can also correct and I have been saying the whole time why the name is the way and why the marketing is the way it is. but every one wants to go in to this whole things about mixed people. I was not the one who brought it up.

but how you talk to me and how the other one talk to me you will get a response. she going to tell me I need counseling because I was giving an example and you now going to tell me who I jumped on they can speak for themselves. Bozcurls and I were having a discussion and it was over. enyo was trying to say that it only said on the bottle if you are black you can use the product and leaving out all the other races they mentioned on the bottle so I wanted to make sure that everyone else knew that.

Shadiyah

You didn't read your own posts if you think everything you said has something to do with this product:rolleyes:. I don't like getting into arguments with anons, it's irritating. What I'm trying to say is apparently not getting through to you and I'm just gonna leave it alone and add you to my ignore list so I don't have to read your posts anymore.

yuhlovevybz

:( I don't like it when we fight. Can we not be upset about this and just take different views?

View A: The product IS called mixed chicks. I wouldn't buy a product called asian chicks or hispanic chicks, even if on tiny print of the label it said '....but other races can use it too.' It just seems... forced.

View B: The cashier isn't going to stop one who is NOT mixed from buying this product. :lol:

The whole debate on mixed not meaning you have a black parent is a different story but it does tie into the marketting flaw. There is an honest marketting flaw on this product. Very blatant.

HOWEVER, there is not a single word in this thread AGAINST 'mixed' chicks, or females on this board who have a black parent. I personally would claim you as black (I mean, you are on this board) :look: but that's neither here nor there.

There's no need to get upset and up in arms. As seen many times we all disagree but that does not mean anyone is wrong, anyone is less intelligent, or anyone is less accepting.

:grouphug:

greenandchic

Healthb4Length

Ok I didn't read the entire thread but I'm glad they win against the big guys "Sally " etc. The name of the product made me pause fora second, but the whole "team light skin" debacle made me do a full stop.

AudraChanell

I totally understand their concept and attempt, but there's no way you can create a product Mixed Chicks and not take into account there will be some backlash. This is the purpose of sensitivity focus groups, to gauge reaction of the "core" audience. We all, are in fact, mixed by default. They can, however, name their product as they see fit. To be honest, I could never bring myself to purchase because of the name...very separatist and makes me feel excluded from this line. I have ZERO problem with anyone expressing feelings of slight from green to gold, yet I never felt this way from any other line even those considered for whites. It also allows me a small peek into the mindset of the owners and me no likey.

exactly lol or you would be called Africans lol 1 drop of blood you black. even Africans didn't want to rock with us. things maybe a little different now but no one wanted to be bothered with us. so now we are wanting to make the mixed race feel the same way. it is not right. words are words they can not hurt you.

Last edited:

AudraChanell

opps, in short and according to the owners, it's for mixed chicks (you have ONE NON-black parent...and that's it)! lol So that means I dont need to buy it **silly rabbits**

Enyo

I totally understand their concept and attempt, but there's no way you can create a product Mixed Chicks and not take into account there will be some backlash. This is the purpose of sensitivity focus groups, to gauge reaction of the "core" audience. We all, are in fact, mixed by default. They can, however, name their product as they see fit. To be honest, I could never bring myself to purchase because of the name...very separatist and makes me feel excluded from this line. I have ZERO problem with anyone expressing feelings of slight from green to gold, yet I never felt this way from any other line even those considered for whites. It also allows me a small peek into the mindset of the owners and me no likey.

Bingo. We all know "racial mixing" has been an issue since Africans came to the Americas. It's going to cause many people to feel some type of way when they see a product that's targeted towards people who are what I call "recently mixed". I totally respect people's right to define themselves however they want even if personally dislike the words they use. If people who are "recently" mixed would rather be called "biracial" and other derivatives, then so be it. What makes me :ohwell: is when they seem to forget that people who are "mixed" with black have historically considered themselves to be above folks who are "just black", were very adamant in making it clear they had white (or sometimes Native) parentage, and openly enjoyed the privileges that came with it. I'm not saying modern "mixed" people still do that. But it's hard to shake 400 years of blacks and "mixed" people eyeballing each other from across the proverbial isle.

To me, having a product that's called "Mixed Chicks" does harken back to times where you had to have obvious white ancestry to join certain organizations or be taken seriously in Societies of Color. There were no official rules, but everyone knew it was a requirement. Even if MC slaps a "no matter what you are" disclaimer on their products, in the end, it's called "MIXED Chicks" and they feature women who would be considered mulattoes or quadroons back in the day. I can see how, for some, it triggers feelings.

When I was in France no one spoke English to me. When they heard my accent, they were taken aback. I didn't understand why until the lady at my hotel told me (and my friend who is a light skinned black girl) that everyone assumes we are the very common mix of African and French. It shocked me that anyone could think of me as being half white because I am brown with 4a hair, but other Europeans (Italy, England, Ireland) confirmed that. I just accept that I am "mixed" - just like most blacks in the Americas.

I work with a girl at my job who is yellow, has amber eyes with a lot of green in them (sometimes they are more green than brown), and dark blonde hair. And guess what - bother her parents are BLACK. She cannot name a single white ancestor, but there she is - light, bright, damn near white. It makes me laugh that she is probably more white than anything, but is not considered "biracial" or "mixed" using these modern terms. This is why I truly despise such words - so much so that I put them in quotes to emphasize the disdain. I know that "mixed" people truly don't mean any harm, but I cannot help but feel they are unconsciously and needlessly separating themselves from folks who are "just black", but technically as much non-African blood as they do - perhaps more! I can only chalk it up to the fact that "mixed" kids are generally bi-cultural. The black world and the non-black world can be very different and dealing with both of them at once does make for a different and unique experience. But the emphasis seems to be on blood quantum and physical appearance which bothers me for the reasons I already stated.

Last edited:

yuhlovevybz

this is why i never liked being called black.

I don't get it. Did I miss something?

IMO I 'claim' zebra babies because half black is all they really need. My best friend is a zebra baby but I still saw her as my 'black' relief in a place that was filled with non-black people. She was my go-to when I started to feel a little out of place.

Do you feel like you're being alienated because of being bi-racial? Don't take it to heart. Remember that we're talking about hair products here. :lol: A disagreement shouldn't make you strongly question what race you should be classified as. :kiss:

Channy31

Did not realise my one comment has almost resulted in all this

EVERYONE, MY FIRST COMMENT (e.g. all mixed race people having type 3 hair) WAS A MISCONCEPTION. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT, IT WAS AN EXAMPLE. I WAS TALKING ABOUT MIXED RACED PEOPLE IN TERMS OF MARKETING. THIS THREAD IS BASED AROUND MARKETING AND THAT IS THE APPROACH I CAME FROM. I MEANT HOW MIXED RACE PEOPLE ARE SEEN FROM A MARKETING APPROACH.

THE REASON I THOUGHT IT IS CALLED MIXED CHICKS IS A MARKETING PLOY, IT ATTRACTS A NICHE MARKET.

P.s. I consider myself mixed race, because my mum is white and dad is black.
My friends who have one black parent and one white also consider themselves mixed race

Being mixed race is different to being black, it is also different to being white.
Importantly though, it incorporates both races.

Please ask any questions you guys have an quote me.

Last edited: