Mixed Chicks Wins Trademark and Trade Dress Infringement Case

Channy31

I understand what you're saying with the word "mixed race" and marketing, but type 3 is not "mixed race hair". It's just curly, and therein lies the problem. I don't feel comfortable with a hair curl pattern being called "mixed race" just because it's common among people who are part African and part non-African. It's a bit rude to slap that label on it because implies some sort of ownerships. That's why I don't call 4a/b hair "black" or "African" hair because there are non-Africans who share my hair type. What about all the women who have type 3 hair but do not have a non-black parent? Do they have "mixed race hair" too? Or is it "curly" on everyone who is not mixed race?

That goes right back to my point about social constructs (i.e. mixed race) being marketed as a physical fact (curly hair). What about all the people who are Asian/White, White/Middle-Eastern, multi-Asian (i.e. Indian/Japanese), or Polynesian/White? They are all "mixed race" too, but most of them probably do not have type 3 hair.

Double post

Last edited:

Amarilles

This thread got me thinking Boondocks! :lol:

RoseGolden

Meh. It's a niche product targeting a specific market that few brands have catered to in the past. I don't have a problem with it. We all know when we think of a "mixed" persons hair it is generally somewhere in the type 3's, though of course it can be any texture. And it's not like they're saying you can't use these producs if you aren't mixed.

Enyo

I recognise that mixed race isn't always type 3, I meant more that thats how theyre marketing it. I recognise that many mixed race people have type 1-4 hair. I didnt really meant I thought that 'mixed hair' is 'type 3'

P.s. please don't hate me..
I was just to say that there was gap in the market for people looking for hair products for 'mixed race hair' I'm not saying thats right or wrong, or that mixed race hair means one thing or another. But for example I get possibly 80% of views on my blog for people googling 'mixed race hair' its because that how SOME mixed race people identify themselves and they have picked up on that.

I'm really struggling to get my point across here. I dont think mixed raced people automatically think that they have different hair to black or white people. I just think that the marketing of a product for just mixed race hair just means that mixed raced people think they have a brand... Like when I personally was to google information about my hair I'd google mixed raced over black or white and they know others will do the same. idk idk idk :blush:

Gurl, what in the world do you think you have said or done to make someone up in here hate you??

What I'm doing: :user:

What you seem to think I'm doing: :swearing:

What we need to be doing now: :needhug:

Ok, now that we understand what's going on, I want to point out that I agree with you on this being a marketing thing. It's a very smart move business wise, but there are some other issues it brings up that I don't really appreciate. In full discloser, I have tried Mixed Chicks Leave-In. The bottle says that it's ok for me to use it even if I'm black :giggle:.

BraunSugar

You know what product name offended me? Black n Sassy. :lol: Well, it didn't offend me for real but I did side eye it hard.

JudithO

Hmm.. actually ive never thought about the name mixed chicks long enof for it to offend me... im glad the small guys won though.. altho i love sallys....

BostonMaria

I'm glad that they sued Sally's. Shame on that big corporation trying to take business from a small minority owned business. I'm all for competition, but I bet Miss Jessie's, Karen's Body Beautiful, Kinky Curly, and Hairveda was next.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Shadiyah

I could not have said it better myself Enyo. Your response is the very reason why I personally was not comfortable with "Mixed Chicks". You don't see other brands defining their products by race - maybe pictures, but not race. Whenever I purchase L'Oreal or Tresemme, I don't see "Anglo Women" or "Caucasian Honeys" on the label. I buy it because they work on my hair and the companies are not stupid enough to discriminate on their labels even though their products wasn't initially made for us in mind. It doesn't stop the white folks in my area from buying Cantu and relaxers straight from the BSS (even with the pictures of black women on the boxes). LOL

Seriously I don't understand why people have such a problem with Mixed... WHY??? You call yourself BLACK... come on yall you need to grow up stop making people uncomfortable about who they are just because you feel some kind of way and worry about you being black if that is what you are. They are mixed there is no getting around that and it is unfair for you to make them choose between their parents. Just because you associate mixed with the so called good hair they all do not have the same hair texture no more than you do. I have 3 type hair and I am not mixed but I have it because several sides of my family have it, my mother , her father , her mother. of course it is down the line some where just like with a lot of us from america.

This really have to stop because you are making people feel bad for being themselves you are doing just what whites did to us centuries ago. It is really wrong. so what do you want them to call themselves white-black? black-indian?????they get to choose the name for themselves not you. get over it. hair is hair and it all grows let go of all that crap your mom or you grandmom put in your head.

Shadiyah

Gurl, what in the world do you think you have said or done to make someone up in here hate you??

What I'm doing: :user:

What you seem to think I'm doing: :swearing:

What we need to be doing now: :needhug:

Ok, now that we understand what's going on, I want to point out that I agree with you on this being a marketing thing. It's a very smart move business wise, but there are some other issues it brings up that I don't really appreciate. In full discloser, I have tried Mixed Chicks Leave-In. The bottle says that it's ok for me to use it even if I'm black :giggle:.

come on it says and I quote: finally a curl defining formula designed for us whether you're black, white, asian, latin, mediterranean or any glorious combination of the above.

Shadiyah

... as an aside all black people are mixed by definition. BLACK = MIXED w/African and something else :lol:. No original Africans left from the slave trade *nods*

exactly lol or you would be called Africans lol 1 drop of blood you black. even Africans didn't want to rock with us. things maybe a little different now but no one wanted to be bothered with us. so now we are wanting to make the mixed race feel the same way. it is not right. words are words they can not hurt you.

DrC

I used Mixed Chicks and Mixed Silk. Both of them sucked and I have 4a hair. It made my curls feel greasy, then it dried hard and turned into snow flakes. I still got a bottle of Mixed Silk in the back of my bathroom closet.

Curlywurly10

I am mixed and I agree with both sides. I do agree that labelling a product with 'mixed' may alienate some people who are not mixed, however though they have called it "Mixed Chicks" as previous posters have said, they have said that it is for all hair types. I do believe they were trying to fill a gap in the market by focusing on their own experience. I have only really been taking care of my hair since last September and Mixed Chicks was one of the first products I found because I was searching for products for mixed people. Now I realise there are lots of products out there that will do the job just as well if not better. But 10+ years ago, I felt the products my mum would use on her hair (she is black) were too heavy for my hair. So when I began focusing on my hair last Sept, I was searching for something for my hair type and Mixed Chicks did fill that gap in the market for someone that didn't know much about hair products. Now that I've been at this a little while I'm a little wiser but even so, being from England, I find product choices are greatly reduced because we are simply not as advanced with hair products over here, especially if you're not living in London. So Mixed Chicks was a bit of a relief for some people, a good starting point and I'm sure the goal was never to alienate people.

Wow, sorry long post. Anyway, I am glad the small company won :yep:

Last edited:

Enyo

come on it says and I quote: finally a curl defining formula designed for us whether you're black, white, asian, latin, mediterranean or any glorious combination of the above.

Yes, I know, the bottle literally states us black girls can use it. That's what I just said, wasn't it?

Bozcurls

Seriously I don't understand why people have such a problem with Mixed... WHY??? You call yourself BLACK... come on yall you need to grow up stop making people uncomfortable about who they are just because you feel some kind of way and worry about you being black if that is what you are. They are mixed there is no getting around that and it is unfair for you to make them choose between their parents. Just because you associate mixed with the so called good hair they all do not have the same hair texture no more than you do. I have 3 type hair and I am not mixed but I have it because several sides of my family have it, my mother , her father , her mother. of course it is down the line some where just like with a lot of us from america.

This really have to stop because you are making people feel bad for being themselves you are doing just what whites did to us centuries ago. It is really wrong. so what do you want them to call themselves white-black? black-indian?????they get to choose the name for themselves not you. get over it. hair is hair and it all grows let go of all that crap your mom or you grandmom put in your head.

The problem is not with mixed people, the problem is insinuating that "mixed" people typically have type three hair. Mixed people can and do possess all hair types. One of my best friends from highschool had a Korean mother and a white father. Her hair was type 1. She's mixed, but this product is not marketed to her hair. Only certain types of "mixed" people. It's asinine.

yuhlovevybz

I don't use their products and I stopped considering using the 'curls' line too. Why? Because in small print it says 'for multi-ethnic women'. I'm like really? **** you too you modern day Jim Crow @ss hair product.

*tries to flip hair but fingers get stuck in it*

Hmph :lol:

yuhlovevybz

The problem is not with mixed people, the problem is insinuating that "mixed" people typically have type three hair. Mixed people can and do possess all hair types. One of my best friends from highschool had a Korean mother and a white father. Her hair was type 1. She's mixed, but this product is not marketed to her hair. Only certain types of "mixed" people. It's asinine.

That is a good point. Many people are mixed but in America we only tend to use that term with black/white. I wonder why that is? I remember people side eyes and Hispanic looking girl who went by mixed. She was Mexican and white. She's mixed.

brg240

I'm glad they won. I haven't heard any good things about the products though so I was never interested (not to mention the price.)

Also, I don't like the name and think it's silly. Ignoring the fact that if you're AA you're mixed, mixed people don't have a certain type of hair. I have a few mixed asian/white friends and they have zero curls. So how would this help them?

Bozcurls

That is a good point. Many people are mixed but in America we only tend to use that term with black/white. I wonder why that is? I remember people side eyes and Hispanic looking girl who went by mixed. She was Mexican and white. She's mixed.

A flawed ideology in regards to mixed people. People know damn right that "mixed" (e.g. black and white) can have hap-hazardous features, yet pretend that there's a general phenotype. It certainly may appear that way if you see little other images of "mixed" people in the media, society, shampoo bottles--what have you. Even more disturbing, some people will question a person's mixed ancestry if they don't have said look.

Last edited:

bronzebomb

dang y'all, I have 4B hair and I love it! I have absolutely no frizz and my hair is dense!

Now I will say that I didn't try it before because I thought it was for multiracial hair.

I think I don't want to try anything else! I know I'm going to get clowned, but it looks like I have good hair!

yuhlovevybz

dang y'all, I have 4B hair and I love it! I have absolutely no frizz and my hair is dense!

Now I will say that I didn't try it before because I thought it was for multiracial hair.

I think I don't want to try anything else! I know I'm going to get clowned, but it looks like I have good hair!

:look: now I kinda wanna try it. I have type 4everconfused hair and nothing will take the frizz away. Call me crazy but I just have too much pride to walk around with my chocolatey self and buy something that says for multi ethnic women. It just irritates me. They could've marketed it better.

Good hair is perspective girly. My mixed friend with silky type 3 hair told me I have good hair and I side eyed her for days. She always told me to stop pressing my hair and embrace it.

If they came out with line and called it curly chicks I would bite.

But in the mean time....picsoritdidnthappen.

yuhlovevybz

I never heard anyone having a problem with "Ebony" (including me) ,just saying .

I used to buy any product that said 'African' on it when I was going through 'that phase'. Silly I know. The stigma for one embracing their race is crazy and confusing.

bronzebomb

:look: now I kinda wanna try it. I have type 4everconfused hair and nothing will take the frizz away. Call me crazy but I just have too much pride to walk around with my chocolatey self and buy something that says for multi ethnic women. It just irritates me. They could've marketed it better.

Good hair is perspective girly. My mixed friend with silky type 3 hair told me I have good hair and I side eyed her for days. She always told me to stop pressing my hair and embrace it.

If they came out with line and called it curly chicks I would bite.

But in the mean time....picsoritdidnthappen.

This is 3 day old hair. The next time I do my hair, I will post a picture.

image-4102991523.jpg

I did 10 flat twists and put a perm rod on the end.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SelahOco

What the heck happened to the thread? Don't get hurt over something that doesn't involve you. Don't nobody care if you're mixed. Or if you look mixed. The issue people have is the exclusion of others ie I am not obviously mixed, like most Afro Americans. Does that mean I am not eligible for their products? It's not about fighting for mixed kids. It's about including others. Like another person said, "White Chicks" as a clothing company or "Thick Chicks" as an underwear company. It's just excluding others

Don't Ebony, Jet and Essence do the same thing? I'm not trying to be contrary, but I'm not mixed but if mixed folks feel like they are being underserved with product, is it bad for them to market to themselves for themselves?