Mixed Chicks Wins Trademark and Trade Dress Infringement Case

Shadiyah

The problem is not with mixed people, the problem is insinuating that "mixed" people typically have type three hair. Mixed people can and do possess all hair types. One of my best friends from highschool had a Korean mother and a white father. Her hair was type 1. She's mixed, but this product is not marketed to her hair. Only certain types of "mixed" people. It's asinine.

see that is where you are wrong, it is marketed towards her hair type. I just stated that is it for koren or asian or white black any race it says it right on the bottle. it don't just say if you are black. and who said anything about mixed people only have type 3 hair??? who ever on this board said that or is it your thought that people think that? all of us of old know good and darn well that you can be purple and your hair can stand straight on the top of your head and you can be white as snow and you can have some of the kinky hair you ever did see. it is stereo type to think that we are juvenlle like that. all I am saying is leave these girls alone every time they mention that they are mixed someone has a problem with it and they have to explain themselves as to not hurt anyone's feelings on here.

they are who they are and they can use any word they want to explain who they are. and don't be made at mixed chicks because they came up with a product that works for their hair when their parents couldn't get it right all their lives. they are mixed and they are chicks it is the same as if they had called their product kim and wendy. they named it after themselves.

Last edited:

Shadiyah

it amazes me that Sally company is all white and you all have a problem with mixed chicks lol I'm just saying. it is not their fault that someone told you that that type of hair is good hair. they didn't say it and neither did I. I am all like this because I had to go through this crap all my life. I am 52 and this stuff is still going on. it don't make any sense. I am not mixed but I have the so called hair type, so I had the black thing with the white people and the hair thing with the black people oh and don't forget I was a little lite too. So I got jumped by the darker girls because I thought I was cute. I didn't wear a sign on my back saying I am cute. oh and they made sure the scatched up my face every chance they could get. so this is what this brings back. you all don't think nothing you are saying is wrong but you are not on the other foot now are you. all the products that say this is for black hair you gonna get made because something says multicultural. that is a laugh. HELLO multicultural is what you are if you can not go down your family and that is on your fathers side and say every last one of them are from africa than you are multicultural so the product is for you too.

Mistycat

When did this become the "woe is me, walking down memory lane" thread. Some of y'all are taking this too personally and need to resolve those issues you have.

Bozcurls

see that is where you are wrong, it is marketed towards her hair type. I just stated that is it for koren or asian or white black any race it says it right on the bottle. it don't just say if you are black. and who said anything about mixed people only have type 3 hair??? who ever on this board said that or is it your thought that people think that? all of us of old know good and darn well that you can be purple and your hair can stand straight on the top of your head and you can be white as snow and you can have some of the kinky hair you ever did see. it is stereo type to think that we are juvenlle like that. all I am saying is leave these girls alone every time they mention that they are mixed someone has a problem with it and they have to explain themselves as to not hurt anyone's feelings on here. they are who they are and they can use any word they want to explain who they are. and don't be made at mixed chicks because they came up with a product that works for their hair when their parents couldn't get it right all their lives. they are mixed and they are chicks it is the same as if they had called their product kim and wendy. they named it after themselves.

I find it hard to believe that line markets its products for all "mixed" people. Its the line that is projecting that stereotype after all. People acknowledging this are suddenly attacking those who are mixed? That's an interesting theory.

SelahOco

Don't mixed people generally have a non-black parent who this product is most likely marketed to also? I feel like one of the co owners has a white mom and said she wished her mom had something like this to use on her hair.

And I know that biracial people come in all shades and hair types, but I always thought their curls tend to be in the 3 range most frequently. I know that's not a rule, but doesn't it happen often enough to warrant a product for black women with looser hair textures?

Last thought....do people outside of hair boards know how their hair type? I mean they coulda named it "loosey goosey curls" but mixed chicks is so direct and to the point.

I thought FUBU was corny and this brand probably is too, but I can totally see how a mixed women with a white mom might love this kind of marketing message.

Shadiyah

When did this become the "woe is me, walking down memory lane" thread. Some of y'all are taking this too personally and need to resolve those issues you have.

i don't have any issue to solve. but tell that to the girl who posted yesterday about her and her hair and used the word mixed and they jumped all over her and she had to come back and explain herself. I don't think it is us who need to solve anything I was just explaining something in detail to see if any of you would get it. but I was wrong.

try reading the whole thread before you talk about someone having issues.

Shadiyah

I find it hard to believe that line markets its products for all "mixed" people. Its the line that is projecting that stereotype after all. People acknowledging this are suddenly attacking those who are mixed? That's an interesting theory.

do you all read what you write? ok they are marketing to mixed people, what is wrong with that???????????? why do you have a problem with that????? I market my clothing line to Muslims???? am I wrong??? I have Christians and Jews who wear modest clothing buying from me and they have never said I think it is wrong that you only market your product towards muslims.

Last edited:

Bozcurls

do you all read what you write? ok they are marketing to mixed people, what is wrong with that????????????

I've already addressed this, I encourage you to read the entire thread. Mixed chicks markets to a "certain" kind of mixed individual. It's incredibly naive to suggest that they market to all of those who are of mixed ancestry judging by their website. I personally don't think we can compare hair products to the likes of possible religious clothing. Nonetheless, being mixed can be considered as irrelevant information in hair threads as various hair types aren't racialbound.

Amarilles

It's just a marketing scheme, unless ingredients are racist? :drunk: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, etc...if your hair likes similar formulations, it's for you. If not, then it isn't. Everyone has a target audience, this product is no different.

I personally think the name is tacky but I find all products that slap on a race/country/ethnicity tag tacky too, so...*shrug* they're not the first (or last probably) to market a product to a select group.

Shadiyah

I am one of the ones that was at the beginning of this thread and I have been on their site many of times and know their whole story just because you see pictures of people do not assume that they are a certain type of people if you don't know them personally. where is all the hate coming from they are telling their story not some model that they hired to take pictures for them. they are being honest about why they came up with the product and you have a problem with that I don't get it.

if a white company go and through something together off of reading what you are doing and what you like and get models to take pictures to be behind the brand and most of them have on wigs. you are ok with that and spend your money to buy their product. because two women who come from the same background as far as their households are concerned and they wanted something that would address their issues with their hair and decided to name the product after themselves which they are MIXED and they areChicks. they put the two words together mixed chicks.. the whole black community has a fit about it. if your hair fits into that curl pattern take a chance see if it works for you just like you did with all the other products but don't not like it because of the name I don't like the name and I don't like that they are mixed and trying to get all mixed people with that hair type to buy it so I am going to leave them alone.....

that is just how you sound. there are a lot of jews who have that hair type as well. there are a lot of somalians that have that hair type. no one else cares that much about what some one calls something but black people. they state on the bottle anyone can use it. so what they use the same marketing ideas that all the companies in the world does to make money so what. stop hating on kim and wendy it is enough already. do you want me to ask them to give you some of their millions is that what this is all about.

Bozcurls

I am one of the ones that was at the beginning of this thread and I have been on their site many of times and know their whole story just because you see pictures of people do not assume that they are a certain type of people if you don't know them personally. where is all the hate coming from they are telling their story not some model that they hired to take pictures for them. they are being honest about why they came up with the product and you have a problem with that I don't get it.

if a white company go and through something together off of reading what you are doing and what you like and get models to take pictures to be behind the brand and most of them have on wigs. you are ok with that and spend your money to buy their product. because two women who come from the same background as far as their households are concerned and they wanted something that would address their issues with their hair and decided to name the product after themselves which they are MIXED and they areChicks. they put the two words together mixed chicks.. the whole black community has a fit about it. if your hair fits into that curl pattern take a chance see if it works for you just like you did with all the other products but don't not like it because of the name I don't like the name and I don't like that they are mixed and trying to get all mixed people with that hair type to buy it so I am going to leave them alone.....

that is just how you sound. there are a lot of jews who have that hair type as well. there are a lot of somalians that have that hair type. no one else cares that much about what some one calls something but black people. they state on the bottle anyone can use it. so what they use the same marketing ideas that all the companies in the world does to make money so what. stop hating on kim and wendy it is enough already. do you want me to ask them to give you some of their millions is that what this is all about.

Again, Mixed chicks markets to a certain kind of individual. You've been to their website on numerous occasions but you disregard this fact and contradicted yourself:

"if your hair fits into that curl pattern take a chance see if it works for you."

You went from people disrespecting those who are mixed, religious clothing and apparently now I am hating for whatever particular reason. All "interesting" conclusions and/or theories (and irrelevant.)

Note the bold-- it's intriguing that you mentioned how the "black community" feels considering this product is supposed to be geared toward all "mixed" individuals. Surprisingly the market has opinions that are limited to that demographic, despite what you're saying.

Mistycat

i don't have any issue to solve. but tell that to the girl who posted yesterday about her and her hair and used the word mixed and they jumped all over her and she had to come back and explain herself. I don't think it is us who need to solve anything I was just explaining something in detail to see if any of you would get it. but I was wrong.

I did read the thread and going on about you were treated as a child was just extra nonsense. That goes for whoever not just you.

RoseGolden

:lachen: Why are yall mad though? Are mixed women not worthy of having a product that caters specifically to them? Just one product? lol I am not mixed, but it is really not that big of a deal. If you feel they excluding you, who cares? Don't buy it and go find one of the tons of other products on the market that does cater to you.

yuhlovevybz

:lachen: Why are yall mad though? Are mixed women not worthy of having a product that caters specifically to them? Just one product? lol I am not mixed, but it is really not that big of a deal. If you feel they excluding you, who cares? Don't buy it and go find one of the tons of other products on the market that does cater to you.

No.

:look::perplexed:grin:

CurlyBuu

I have 4C hair and I tried mixed chicks when I first went natural. The name really didnt stand out to me but someone from the forum recommended their deep conditioner and it worked really well for me. I'm not mixed, and when I checked out their story and website I didn't see anything wrong with how it was set up. It made sense to me, they have a niche market and focus on it.

I sell hair products and natural hair apparel for dark skinned women. All my shirt graphics feature dark skinned women with type 4 hair. Of course anyone can buy but it's my niche market because I didn't see enough websites with dark models or natural shirts boldly representing us.

At the end of the day you can't please everyone. I don't feel excluded toward their line at all because I understand their focus. Their products are a little light to me now but I would happily recommend them to other dark skinned/non mixed women with my hair type. It's all about the ingredients and what kind of image you want to support.

Shadiyah

Again, Mixed chicks markets to a certain kind of individual. You've been to their website on numerous occasions but you disregard this fact and contradicted yourself:

You went from people disrespecting those who are mixed, religious clothing and apparently now I am hating for whatever particular reason. All "interesting" conclusions and/or theories (and irrelevant.)

Note the bold-- it's intriguing that you mentioned how the "black community" feels considering this product is supposed to be geared toward all "mixed" individuals. Surprisingly the market has opinions that are limited to that demographic, despite what you're saying.

I went there because there were two different issues going on here not with you but with someone else and she was mixed and trying to tell her story but someone didn't like the words that she was using and your issue is them marketing towards someone who cares again who cares why are you having a hissy fit about it. they fit in that category so they are marketing towards their people first and anyone else that can use it. what is the problem with that this what you did when you are in business. you find those who will be in the market for your product this is in your business plan. how will you make your money?? who will buy??? so they went for what they did know and what they did know is about themselves and their friends that are like them. and me talking about my business was right because there again you are talking about marketing and that has to do with marketing. it don't matter what the product is what matters is do you have a market for that product. so if they hurt your feelings maybe you should write them a letter or something. they will send you gifts to get over it.

I don't talk much and when these things go on I usually keep my mouth shut but when it is something that I know about I speak up. so maybe you need to keep up on what you are mad about. first it was about hair typing and they never said anything about 3 type hair they talk about hair like ours. then you are mad about who they are marketing to... yes I am keeping up very well.

Shadiyah

I did read the thread and going on about you were treated as a child was just extra nonsense. That goes for whoever not just you.

I was making a point I was not saying oh I am so sad about what happen to me as a child. I thought I was talking to adults when I told that story but look I can go on all day with this because I have children like you all that never get the picture but want to keep talking about what they don't know about. unless you have some history into the matter you should listen to what someone has to say sometimes. it was two issues on the board and I am not calling any names but they are quiet now because either they had enough of all of us or they just don't feel like no one coming at them again because they used the word mixed.

get over yall selves. you will be the minority in a real fast min. there will be no more african americans either just like there will be no more white people. everyone is mixed and if you read the statistics you will see that all races are fading fast.

so the 1st issue was using the word mixed and her using it at the same time of using 3 type crazy someone would take that all the way to we all think that when you talk about the mixed race they fall into 3 type hair like where did that come from. even I knew she wasn't talking about that.

2nd issue someone mad that they are only marketing towards their own kind blah blah

3rd issue now we mad because I brought up something in my past. get over yourself.

like I said my children have trained me very well. this is why people stay to themselves and their KIND

Bozcurls

I went there because there were two different issues going on here not with you but with someone else and she was mixed and trying to tell her story but someone didn't like the words that she was using and your issue is them marketing towards someone who cares again who cares why are you having a hissy fit about it. they fit in that category so they are marketing towards their people first and anyone else that can use it. what is the problem with that this what you did when you are in business. you find those who will be in the market for your product this is in your business plan. how will you make your money?? who will buy??? so they went for what they did know and what they did know is about themselves and their friends that are like them. and me talking about my business was right because there again you are talking about marketing and that has to do with marketing. it don't matter what the product is what matters is do you have a market for that product. so if they hurt your feelings maybe you should write them a letter or something. they will send you gifts to get over it.

I don't talk much and when these things go on I usually keep my mouth shut but when it is something that I know about I speak up. so maybe you need to keep up on what you are mad about. first it was about hair typing and they never said anything about 3 type hair they talk about hair like ours. then you are mad about who they are marketing to... yes I am keeping up very well.

If you're under the impression that I am disgruntled over this , you are mistaken. I have no reason to be upset as I just expressed an observation.

I believe you have trouble grasping my message after I elaborated. Your responses aren't exactly coherent. Maybe I am misunderstanding you, if not you have no reason to be hostile or maybe offended for a better word.

Sent from my nexus 4 using LHCF

Last edited:

Shadiyah

If you're under the impression that I am disgruntled over this , you are mistaken. I have no reason to be upset as I just expressed an observation.

I believe you have trouble grasping my message after I elaborated. Your responses aren't exactly coherent. Maybe I am misunderstanding you, if not you have no reason to be hostile or maybe offended for a better word.

Sent from my nexus 4 using LHCF

Bozcurls all I am saying is this. in just business the market was wide open for them to make money and it is a good product and no it will not work for everyone and no one said that... but they didn't just make it for just them but for those who hair will respond to it. and yes but keeping that marketing towards mixed because why know one ever do anything just for them. they have to take this product and that product to mix it to make it work.

I have used it for years and I have tried other things and it works the best for me. I have used it on my mother and my daughter and my cousins and other customers and some it worked for and some it didn't.

just not buy something because who it is marketed towards because all the other products you buy for your hair before natural hair products came out were marketed towards someone other that you black women with natural hair. and you had to mix this and that to get what you wanted for it to work.

business is business.

Sugar

Ok...emotional breakdown over. I've run into the ladies that created the Mixed Chicks line quite a few times at hair shows. I don't honestly believe they had any ill intent when they named their brand. I've never asked them why they chose that name in particular instead of something like Curly Chicks. I guess it never really occurred to me to ask because once I saw them in person I understood...they're both mixed chicks...they both have uber-curly hair...the product is made for curly, frizz-prone hair...like theirs.

At any rate, I'm still glad they won the lawsuit.

BranwenRosewood

Seriously I don't understand why people have such a problem with Mixed... WHY??? You call yourself BLACK... come on yall you need to grow up stop making people uncomfortable about who they are just because you feel some kind of way and worry about you being black if that is what you are. They are mixed there is no getting around that and it is unfair for you to make them choose between their parents. Just because you associate mixed with the so called good hair they all do not have the same hair texture no more than you do. I have 3 type hair and I am not mixed but I have it because several sides of my family have it, my mother , her father , her mother. of course it is down the line some where just like with a lot of us from america.

This really have to stop because you are making people feel bad for being themselves you are doing just what whites did to us centuries ago. It is really wrong. so what do you want them to call themselves white-black? black-indian?????they get to choose the name for themselves not you. get over it. hair is hair and it all grows let go of all that crap your mom or you grandmom put in your head.

Shadiyah

1st bolded: You are jumping on her for no reason. Nobody is trying to make people feel bad about being mixed. If people feel uncomfortable about it then that is there problem not ours. No one can make you feel bad about being yourself unless you let them. There was NOTHING in her comment about having a problem with mixed people. Some of us think the name is tacky (me included) and I have to ask SO WHAT?

As for all the rest: Where the heck did you pull that from? There was nothing in this thread about any of those things you mentioned. If you want to talk about that mess please take it to OT.

BranwenRosewood

Shadiyah

They did not "jump all over her". Her point did not come across clearly and Enyo responded based on what she posted. MixedGirl clarified what she was saying and that was that. YOU are the one that is blowing things out of proportion for no apparent reason. Please leave it alone.

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Didn't read the thread lol.
But the name rubs me the wrong way, only because being a 'mixed' person does not mean a certain hair type. I've seen type 1 to type 4 hair on biracial heads (black and white). And when it comes to multi-racial people, the spectrum is even more broad. So what is the point?

Race shouldn't be a factor. Hair type should.

ETA: I see someone made the same point! :)

Last edited:

Mistycat

I was making a point I was not saying oh I am so sad about what happen to me as a child. I thought I was talking to adults when I told that story but look I can go on all day with this because I have children like you all that never get the picture but want to keep talking about what they don't know about. unless you have some history into the matter you should listen to what someone has to say sometimes. it was two issues on the board and I am not calling any names but they are quiet now because either they had enough of all of us or they just don't feel like no one coming at them again because they used the word mixed.

get over yall selves. you will be the minority in a real fast min. there will be no more african americans either just like there will be no more white people. everyone is mixed and if you read the statistics you will see that all races are fading fast.

so the 1st issue was using the word mixed and her using it at the same time of using 3 type crazy someone would take that all the way to we all think that when you talk about the mixed race they fall into 3 type hair like where did that come from. even I knew she wasn't talking about that.

2nd issue someone mad that they are only marketing towards their own kind blah blah

3rd issue now we mad because I brought up something in my past. get over yourself.

like I said my children have trained me very well. this is why people stay to themselves and their KIND

Who is y'all? Like I said before, people need to resolve their childhood issues bc you are clearly taking it personal. What does a hair product have to do with people becoming a minority. :lol: You are taking this way too seriously and are becoming ridiculous at this point. Toodles :drunk:

Shadiyah

Shadiyah

1st bolded: You are jumping on her for no reason. Nobody is trying to make people feel bad about being mixed. If people feel uncomfortable about it then that is there problem not ours. No one can make you feel bad about being yourself unless you let them. There was NOTHING in her comment about having a problem with mixed people. Some of us think the name is tacky (me included) and I have to ask SO WHAT?

As for all the rest: Where the heck did you pull that from? There was nothing in this thread about any of those things you mentioned. If you want to talk about that mess please take it to OT.

RavenSR first off greenandchic know me. and I was not talking to her with that statement I was talking in general I said i didn't want to call out any names and this is not the first time this has happen so don't start jumping all over me because you feel like you want to take up for someone now. this happens all the time through out the board and most times everyone ignore the statement and keep it moving but because I didn't this time it's "what, what did I say" too many times it has been said about the hair and mixed thing on here. so now you are going to tell me what I can say and what I can not say. now it is I think the name is tacky. you know what I think is tacky is how people get into these clicks and if you are outside of them then you did something wrong or you said something wrong.

I didn't like what they said and what has been said through out this thread and call it what you want but I know what they said and then why should she have to clean up what she said the first time. she believe that most mixed people have 3 type hair so what that is no reason for anyone to say anything about it we all know that mixed people have all types of hair.

Shadiyah

Shadiyah

They did not "jump all over her". Her point did not come across clearly and Enyo responded based on what she posted. MixedGirl clarified what she was saying and that was that. YOU are the one that is blowing things out of proportion for no apparent reason. Please leave it alone.

no she jumped on me stating that I had little girl issues to resolve because I said something about my past.

and it was left alone until you just said something to me.

Shadiyah

RavenSR you are right what is the point I am leaving it alone because it don't matter how many times you explain it to people about how they named the product after themselves they still do not hear you they keep saying the same thing over and over again.

they decided to name the product mixed chicks because they are mixed and they are chicks they tell you that right in their video introducing themselves. i name products after myself or my daughters or my mother all the time. but I forgot me one person and you all many can say what you want and I can not .... got it.