Moisture lost, Help!

bravenewgirl87

So, i am transitioning from relaxed to natural, but i have always had dry locks. The top of the hair that still has the texturizer in it is soft supple and moisturized. But the back(nape area) that is 89% natural is dry and hard and im getting breakage all over.:ohwell: How do i get that "granny" just greased my hair" shiny healthy look without the "ugh, granny just greased my hair with petroleum" look? What's your moisture staple? the last few says i've been doing the baggie with a shower cap, amla oil ( just jumped on that one-- although it is fuunnkky.) carrot oil, ORS Soybean oil hairdressing and water. Its been going ok ( although its a lil too soon to tell) HELP?!:eek:

Last edited:
my nape was extra dry and crunchy feeling - it'd hated relaxers but seemed it hated transitioning even more. i chopped my nape about 3-4 months after i started transitioning and it was STILL hard (scab hair perhaps?)

during the summer, i'd braid my nape and load it up with all sorts of moisturizers and keep it that way. never wore my hair up so no one knew.

during late fall i started treating it to some extra shea butter after i washed and conditioned and my nape area has really really softened up,is no longer breaking and is actually growing nicely.

someone here mentioned they kept their nape braided up and loaded with moisturizers and it really made sense AND it works.

I got this moisture conditioner recipe from a different forum (with tips for mostly "another" type of hair) and it has NEVER failed me:

1 part aloe vera gel
one part moisturizing conditioner (must be moisture!)
one part honey
one part oil (not in original recipe)

mix together, warm in microwave and apply
leave on hair for up to an hour, preferably with heat.

My hair turns out ultra moisturized when I use this. It's great for after protein treatments.

I would suggest the Elasta QP Mango Butter. It is somewhat heavy so your hair absorbs it and it does not leave your hair greasy feeling. A great moisturizer. I put it on my ends daily. I also have begun to baggie with it nightly (well, since bootcamp began at least). I also use it daily on the nape of my neck and hair lines, areas commonly overlooked to moisturize.

I'm not transitioning but I have the same problem. My nape wants to stay dry and crunchy while the rest of my hair is fully moisturized.

3 things help me:

CO washing. I admit I slacked off on this over the past 6 months and I've felt the results. I'll alternate this with rollersets now.

Deep Conditioning with a REALLY moisturizing conditioner. For some reason, my nape especially responds to Miss Key 10 en 1. The effects of a good conditioner last a lot longer than any topical moisturizer, at least for me.

AO's Sea Buckthorn Leave-In. I use this on my dry hair focusing mostly on my roots. The effects are cummulative so I especially see the results when I use it a few days in a row. After I use it, you'd never know my roots used to be crunchy. :look:

Back