Moisture Only Regime???!!!

Is it possible for your hair to thrive off of a moisture only regime? :ohwell: I know your supposed to have a moisture/protein balance but it seems like my hair thrives off of moisture alone. The smallest bit of protein I use causes so much breakage. Last week I was baggying every night, I used no products that contained proteins and I had virtually no breakage. This week, I introduced HE LTR into my regime and I had soooo much breakage when I just washed my hair, not to mention my hair felt extra hard and dry this week. Anyway to sum it up, is it okay for you to use only moisture based products?

Mrs. Verde

Are you relaxed or natural? I'm natural, a lot of naturals need very little protein. Relaxed heads tend to need more. Your right HE LTR has hydrolyzed silk which is a protein. I think you can have a mostly moisture regimen. My hair hates protein. 98% of my items are protein free. There are some protein products that my hair doesn't mind like aloe vera juice, silk amino acid, and avocado oil/butter.

Barbara

Princess
For the first ten years of my healthy hair journey, I used moisture rich products consistently every two weeks for my shoulder length type 4a/b hair. Everyone in the salon noticed my hair thrived, to the surprise of my stylist. These are still my primary staples. In fact, I just used them last night.

Five years ago, my stylist recommended a secondary set of staples. They work good, but they have to be doctored up just a little. That's okay with me, because they cost a whole lot less. My stylist feels they provide the same results, and he prefers the secondary staples better, so I only take them into the salon now. They are Creme of Nature (ultra moisturizing/detangling formula), Motions Moisture Plus, and Infusium 23 Repairology (original Leave in Treatment).

So in answer to your questions, yes at least in my case. I didn't know anything about moisture/protein balance until I joined LHCF nor did my stylist ever mention it to me. However, two years ago, he felt that I needed to add Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor conditioner to my staples, which I bring into the salon just to rotate with my secondary conditioner Moisture Motions Plus.

I didn't mind using the products he recommended, because they are mentioned here and on other hair care web sites.

Last edited:

Tiye

From what I've read moisture protein balance is mainly for people who use lye relaxers. So if you don't fall into that category then you don't need to go out of your way to use protein.

Luscious Locks

It's great that you brought this topic up. I was just pondering this within the last 2-3 weeks. My hair had been very difficult in the past couple of months. I kept trying to "balance" my moisture and protein by using protein products once every week or two weeks. Well, I figured out that, much like this hair journey we are all one, the term balance is very individualized.

My hair is relaxed straight, and even I do not need protein every two weeks. I realized I probably only need protein once a month or once every 6 weeks. I've been on a moisture only regimen for 3 weeks now and my hair is ridiculously soft. I use mostly natural products--no cones for me. I've had better retention with this regimen too. I honestly see much less breakage that I have in a long time. I did not know what I was wrecking my hair with protein. Even after my relaxer I did not need a protein treatment. I have not had any increased breakage.

I think you will be fine with less protein.

Barbara

Princess
I would just stick to moisture-rich products; but I heard if the hair gets mushy or too soft and breakage occurs due to "over moisture," then it's good to use protein products about once every four to six weeks.

Last edited:
Im relaxed. I wash with CON poo and conditioner once a week. I cowash with HE HH but i just picked up suave humectant(sp?) to try out. I baggy with HS 14 in 1. Other moisturizers I use are ORS Olive oil cream moisturizer and seal w/ Isoplus castor oil.

CA*Nappy

I finally switched to using moisure only products for one month and finally enjoyed a month with little breakage. Sticking with it for another month to hopefully gain some length and thriving hair.

Spring

I usually use protein 1x every 3 months after my relaxer touch up. Then early this year I decided to add a few drops of silk amino acid to my final rinse, and every now and then a couple of drops to my leave in.... BIG mistake.. I started noticing small broken hairs, so I immediately stopped using the saa and the breakage stopped. I know for me collagen works, but other proteins I have to use very rarely.... so it's mostly moisture for me.

Another time i noticed this was when I used the aphogee leave in spray. I sprayed it on my hair ONCE and my hair was breaking in handfuls. Even after I washed it was still breaking. I had to clarify to get back on track. Thanks for all the input ladies

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I don't mess with the protein heavy stuff. I don't know how to use them properly so they end up breaking my hair off causing more harm than good. My hair thrives on water and water-based products and I keep it strong with coconut oil so I don't worry about the moisture/protein balance stuff.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Another time i noticed this was when I used the aphogee leave in spray. I sprayed it on my hair ONCE and my hair was breaking in handfuls. Even after I washed it was still breaking. I had to clarify to get back on track. Thanks for all the input ladies
I tried the Aphogee Two-minute and did it as directed and had the same problem. My hair broke off in little itty bitty pieces. The bottle is in the bathroom cabinet collecting dust now because of the mishap.

Also I have never had a problem with over-moisturizing (getting mushy hair.) I'm sure some of the products I own have some sort of protein in them but as long as they are not one of the top ingredients list than it is fine for my hair.

silenttullip

The simple answer is yes, it's fine to use only moisture based products. Like some have said it seems protein is more a necessity for relaxed women BUT for me personally... I'm natural and I had issues with protein breaking my hair off the first year of my journey but now after I implemented moisture products, better protective styling, deep conditioning, and my water filter I notice my hair gets overly moisturized easily. The way I know is when my hair stretches, stretches, and then breaks or doesn't quite break but follows the comb down. So I keep some Aubrey Organics BGA rinse on hand. I also have aphogee for major cases but AOBGA is a great quick fix. I don't get the crazy hardness that I just can't touch I leave it in 3 minutes, spread to ends, rinse, and comb while the water is running through. But anywho best advice I'd say is *starts singing* listen to your hair when she's talkin to you lol :)

SelfStyled

I am relaxed, my hair is very coarse though, and I have an almost moisture only regimen. My hair does not like protein at all.

Urban

Whether or not it's possible for others, I'd encourage you to listen to your hair. Don't force protein into your regimen just because someone recommends protein, yet it's causing your hair to break! That would be counterproductive. If your hair is doing just fine without protein, then put the protein down. Just do what allows you to retain the length you want.