Moisture vs Protein = Confusion

madamone

Hi Ladies,

I'm trying to get this protein/moisturizing conditioner thing down and it has left me confused!:spinning: It turns out every conditoner I have has some sort of protein in it. Some of them list it way down the list of ingredients, but there it is none the less! Can a moisturizing conditioner still have some protein in it??

I have:

ORS Replenishing Pak
Nexxus Humectress
Aura Cherry Almond Bark Revitalizing (Sally's Aveda Knockoff)
Sunsilk TLC Multisymptom Mask
Suave Tropical Coconut (Co-Washes)
Quantum Reconstructuring Conditioner

I plan to head to Trader Joe's today to puchase the Nourish Conditioner.

Does anything I have qualify as moisturizing? I thought the Cherry Almond Bark was the thing, but it has a protein in it!

Sigh, I'm confused! :wallbash:

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Proudpiscean

Hi Ladies,

I'm trying to get this protein/moisturizing conditioner thing down and it has left me confused!:spinning: It turns out every conditoner I have has some sort of protein in it. Some of them list it way down the list of ingredients, but there it is none the less! Can a moisturizing conditioner still have some protein in it??

I have:

ORS Replenishing Pak
Nexxus Humectress
Aura Cherry Almond Bark Revitalizing (Sally's Aveda Knockoff)
Sunsilk TLC Multisymptom Mask
Suave Tropical Coconut (Co-Washes)
Quantum Reconstructuring Conditioner

I plan to head to Trader Joe's today to puchase the Nourish Conditioner.

Does anything I have qualify as moisturizing? I thought the Cherry Almond Bark was the thing, but it has a protein in it!

Sigh, I'm confused! :wallbash:

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

ORS replenishing pak has a mix of moisture and a little protein. It's really good.
Nexxus is good for moisture :up:

Neroli

A moisturizing condish can have proteins as some proteins are moisturizers (wheat, milk, soy, etc.) My beloved nexxus humectress is an excellent moisturizer for my hair, even tho it has several proteins in it. I know, I was totally confused about this too at first and I hope others will chime in to help explan this better . . .

If you want something totally protein free, TJ's nourish spa is awesome -- nice and thick, smells good, and pretty darn cheap . . .

Here's a link to an ancient post by Supergirl explaining this very thing:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=92906&highlight=protein

Last edited:

madamone

Thank you ladies so much! I'm starting to feel better. I was afraid I was protein overloading! I use Humectress twice a day to moisturize and I was about to be sick!

madamone

A moisturizing condish can have proteins as some proteins are moisturizers (wheat, milk, soy, etc.) My beloved nexxus humectress is an excellent moisturizer for my hair, even tho it has several proteins in it. I know, I was totally confused about this too at first and I hope others will chime in to help explan this better . . .

If you want something totally protein free, TJ's nourish spa is awesome -- nice and thick, smells good, and pretty darn cheap . . .

Thank you! That post was very helpful!

Evazhair

Trader Joe's nourish spa ingredients:
Purified Water, organic rosemary oil, organic valencia orange citrus, organic mango, organic lemongrass, organic ginko biloba, organic echinacea, organic willow bark, organic sea kelp, organic chamomile flower, organic textured soy protein, organic lavendar, organic grapefruit citrus, tocoperol (vitamin E), acetamide mea, cetyl alcohol, citric acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, botanical fragrance.

I have concerns about this as well. I am currently using a mild protein dc every 4th wash. I have only used this as a prepoo, to avoid protein overload.

Neroli

Trader Joe's nourish spa ingredients:
Purified Water, organic rosemary oil, organic valencia orange citrus, organic mango, organic lemongrass, organic ginko biloba, organic echinacea, organic willow bark, organic sea kelp, organic chamomile flower, organic textured soy protein, organic lavendar, organic grapefruit citrus, tocoperol (vitamin E), acetamide mea, cetyl alcohol, citric acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, botanical fragrance.

I have concerns about this as well. I am currently using a mild protein dc every 4th wash. I have only used this as a prepoo, to avoid protein overload.

Yep. My bad. Just checked my bottle and you're right. However, I think very low probability that TJ's norish spa will cause protein overload as it has only one protein, fairly low down the list which indicates smaller concentration, plus soy is one of those proteins that act like a mositurizer. It may be worth checking that link to SG's post because the ladies there really breaks it down, especially Sisterslicks post. . .

SelfStyled

Thanks for that link, it was so helpful.

Ms. Plain Jane

Elasta QP "Intense" is a wonderful moisturizing conditioner. I swear by it! It detangles and smells like banana Now and Laters (Nahlatas, lol)!

Optimum Oil Therapy Ultimate Recovery is good, too.

MsAngie

Great post! I was one of those confusing protein and moisture. Thanks ladies for clearing this up for me!