Protein in The Ingredients Does Not Necessarily Mean It's A Protein Conditioner

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Not true about ao gbp being lightweight protein, if you look closely milk protein is after the wheat germ oil so wouldn't gbp technically be a mid-weight protein treatment?

No, I would still say light. The moisture benefits of this conditioner outweigh any restructuring, especially since milk protein is a moisturizing protein more so than a restructuring protein.

I would classify a product as a "midweight" if the moisture and protein benefits were about equal.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
What category of product is Smooth n Shine Silk Fusion? It's packaged as "Xtreme Leave-In Protein Treatment."

Smooth 'N Shine - Smooth N Shine Repair Xtreme Leave-In Protein Treatment

Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Cyclopentasiloxane, Polyquaternium-37, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Silk Amino Acids, Pearl Powder, Biotin, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-55, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Maris Sal (Sea Salt), Phenyl Trimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, PEG/PPG-18/18 Demithicone, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Geraniol.

LuvlyRain3

I use this. I would considered this a protein at least for the way it acts with my hair. I need to put this back in rotation.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
What category of product is Smooth n Shine Silk Fusion? It's packaged as "Xtreme Leave-In Protein Treatment."

Smooth 'N Shine - Smooth N Shine Repair Xtreme Leave-In Protein Treatment

Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Cyclopentasiloxane, Polyquaternium-37, Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Silk Amino Acids, Pearl Powder, Biotin, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-55, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Maris Sal (Sea Salt), Phenyl Trimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, PEG/PPG-18/18 Demithicone, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Geraniol.

Between the cones and the SAA, it should make your hair feel nice - but its not a heavy protein.

divachyk

Between the cones and the SAA, it should make your hair feel nice - but its not a heavy protein.
Supergirl recommended this to me once but I wasn't sure of its product purpose. If I recall correctly, she suggested I mix some into my DC and of course it gets rinsed out with the DC.

mzteaze

Supergirl recommended this to me once but I wasn't sure of its product purpose. If I recall correctly, she suggested I mix some into my DC and of course it gets rinsed out with the DC.

SAAs are GREAT! I read about it in a few older threads. its light enough to add to all sorts of products. My hair feels silky and strong with them.

divachyk

SAAs are GREAT! I read about it in a few older threads. its light enough to add to all sorts of products. My hair feels silky and strong with them.
Every use as leave-ins or within your day-to-day prods? Or you mix it within DCs only?

mzteaze

Every use as leave-ins or within your day-to-day prods? Or you mix it within DCs only?

A lot of girls mix into everything from shampoo to mascara. I mix it with nearly everything as well. Just a few drops is good - so you don't need a lot to add.

divachyk

Were these mentioned and what are their classification?
Hydrolyzed Oat Protein
Hydrolyzed Soy Protein

Here's a link that discusses them but I still need a little help on classification.
INCI Dictionary

I glimpsed these ingredients in the Vital Olive Oil.
Hairlicious Inc.: Vital Olive Oil Hair Mayonnaise

Hydrolyzed soy protein — Water-soluble protein naturally derived from soy via the enzymatic hydrolysis process. Applied topically, it is an excellent hydrator that improves the texture and resiliency of the skin. In hair care formulas, it coats porous and damaged areas to strengthen and mend hair fiber.

Hydrolyzed oat protein — Natural humectant clinically proven to increase hydration. Used in skin care products to smooth fine lines and wrinkles.

Anne26

panda
My hair hates protein, even the little bit in normal conditioner, so I avoid. In the rare cases I need some protein, that normal conditioner/DC with protein is just enough.

LuvlyRain3

Hydrolyzed oat protein bring moisture into the hair and scalp

Hydrolyzed soy protein contains cystine which strengthens hair. Its suppose to make the hair more manageable. Hth.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
BUMP

What are some natural product alternatives for heavy-weight protein treatments? I currently use AO GPB.

HauteHippie

Thanks for clarifying this! I've been wondering about it lately since I've been reading other's hair routine and seeing what some deem to be a protein conditioner.

melissa-bee

This is what I was trying to say in another thread when someone was insisting that the ORS replenishing conditioner was a medium protein. I got straight up ignored. That conditioner does nothing but provide moisture for me.

JJamiah

This is what I was trying to say in another thread when someone was insisting that the ORS replenishing conditioner was a medium protein. I got straight up ignored. That conditioner does nothing but provide moisture for me.

I totally agree, my hair had gotten so over moisturized, it was gummy. I had to use Aphogee right after to get my balance. I don't care what anyone says, I know what I does to mine. So I treat it as so, and so should they. Ingredients is only half the battle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using LHCF

Last edited:

divachyk

*to combat breakage
*as preventative care
*when your hair will not hold moisture
Supergirl, way upthread you suggested the above for when protein may be required. I can never figure out why I get breakage. The wet strand assessment never suggests my hair is gummy/limp and overmoisturized. It always snaps easily suggesting I need more moisture. My hair breaks with or without protein usage. Matter fact, it seems the more protein I use, the more my hair breaks which over time has led me to believe I'm protein sensitive. I've used a range of proteins with the same end result - breakage. If I can figure out my breakage issues that shows up periodically, I'll be set. This aspect of my hhj is by far the hardest for me to understand.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
;melissa-bee16947383 said:

melissa-bee ITA :yep: I've been saying that for the longest on here, my staple moisture DC for years. I use it to soften my hair after reconstructors and henna.

leiah

What do we know about hydrolized wheat protein? This says it's moisturizing.

http://www.theherbarie.com/Hydrolyzed-Wheat-Protein-pr-78.html

Does it have any strengthening properties?
I think making our decisions about products based on their ingredients can do us more harm than good sometimes. If you decide your hair is protein sensitive and won't use a moisturizing conditioner with hydrolized wheat protein you could be missing out on something good.

I need protein treatments with keratin or collagen in order to strengthen my hair.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Supergirl, way upthread you suggested the above for when protein may be required. I can never figure out why I get breakage. The wet strand assessment never suggests my hair is gummy/limp and overmoisturized. It always snaps easily suggesting I need more moisture. My hair breaks with or without protein usage. Matter fact, it seems the more protein I use, the more my hair breaks which over time has led me to believe I'm protein sensitive. I've used a range of proteins with the same end result - breakage. If I can figure out my breakage issues that shows up periodically, I'll be set. This aspect of my hhj is by far the hardest for me to understand.

divachyk

So, have you ever tried a no protein regimen to see how your hair does? How about something like Aubrey HSR for a few weeks?

Other things to think about:

Are you using any heat at all?

Are you seeing a stylist? Is she gentle with your hair? Is she over-manipulating, over-processing, or over-heating your hair when you're there? It only takes a few seconds for a stylist to cause long-term damage.

How long ago did you start your HHJ? Could you still have hair on your head from before you began your HHJ, hair that may still be manifesting previous hair practices (before your HHJ started)?

Are you using any products on your hair that are causing build-up? If so, consider a no cones, no shea regimen.

What shampoo are you using before you condition? Your shampoo choice is important to how well your conditioner performs.

Are you using any extremely acidic or extremely basic products in your regimen (ACV or Baking Soda)? If so, cut those out for a few months and see how your hair does. I find that these are really unnecessary and can cause more harm than good, especially baking soda. I did the baking soda thing once and thought it was the bomb-diggity only to find out a few days later that the hairs on my head were dropping like flies. Putting baking soda in your hair is akin to putting a relaxer in it (chemically speaking). Not that anything is wrong with relaxer, but they should only be used for the purpose of straightening the texture and then removed as soon as that's done. A baking soda rinse is :naughty: . That would be like doing a relaxer rinse. :look:

That's all I can think of at the moment. If I think of something else, I'll come back and add it to this thread.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Supergirl Very informative thread. Would your conditioner Mocha Silk Infusion be classified as a protein treatment?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Pokahontas

Yes, definitely, but on the milder end of the protein treatment spectrum. I recommend it for minor breakage or to reinforce hair. For serious problems, a liquid protein treatment is best. :yep: