Moisturizing And Nicely Scented Leave-in Conditioner

abioni

Please recommend a leave-in conditioner that smells nice and it's moisturizing and with slip (detangler).

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Are you hipo, lowpo, or neither?

Slip, moisture, and smell in one product. Hmm. :scratchchin: Subscribing! :lol:

Your mileage will almost certainly vary, but here's what I've experienced.

Kinky Curly Knot Today (for both slip and moisture . . . scent is not noteworthy IMO)
Can be diluted to stretch it. Can be used to make Kimmaytube leave-in, which a lot of people swear by.
Soultanicals Hair Glide (for both slip and scent . . . and perhaps moisture?)
If you end up finding this product to be MOISTURIZING, then this will hit all 3 (slip, moisture, and scent). Some folks find it very moisturizing, and others don't.

The slip on this product is noteworthy. :yep: It smells great! It's a detangler advertised to double as a leave-in. I haven't invested in the tropically-scented version, but since you desire a lovely scent, here is a link to the product page where you can click the "Review" link to read about the scent: http://www.soultanicals.com/slip-n-slide-tropical-hair-glide/

Here is a link to the regular Hair Glide so that you can read more reviews to learn what's positive/negative for folks about this product: http://www.soultanicals.com/slip-n-slide-knot-proof-hair-glide-12-oz/

Ingredients in the Soultanicals Hair Glide
  • Distilled Water Botanically Infused with Slippery Elm, Oatstraw, Okra & Marshmallow Root, Certified Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Cocoa Butter, Stearalkonium Chloride, Pro-Vitamin B5, Guar Gum, Mushroom Gum, Vegetable Silk, Potassium Sorbate, Gluconolactone, Sorbic Acid, Phthalate-Free Fragrance, an extra slide of soulistic flava & LOVE
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion (for slip . . . and perhaps moisture?)
If slip is your main goal, perhaps try Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion: http://www.curljunkie.com/Curl-Assurance-Smoothing-Lotion-p/casl12.htm. On a scale from 1 to 10, the slip on this stuff is a 50. It's hard to even IMAGINE any product more slippery than this stuff. I can't say much about how moisturizing this stuff is because I've never used it alone: I've always used it OVER aloe Vera juice and UNDER a sealing and moisturizing gel.

Ingredients in Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
  • Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Vegetable Glycerin, Slippery Elm Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Panthenol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.
Oyin Hair Dew (for moisture, if you can tolerate the scent . . . but not particularly for the slip)
It is the most multi-day moisture-infusing product I've ever used. I wasn't blown away by the slip of it, though. I can't handle the smell of it, but some people love the smell of it. If moisture is your main goal and you sniff this product at Target/Sally's/etc. and you are okay with it, perhaps try Oyin Hair Dew: https://oyinhandmade.com/hair-dew-daily-hair-quenching-lotion/

Ingredients in Oyin Hair Dew
  • purified water, ricinus communis (castor) oil, olea europaea (olive) oil, aloe barbadensis leaf juice (organic), behentrimonium methosulfate (and) cetearyl alcohol (emulsifier derived from colza oil), cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, cetyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol (and) caprylyl glycol (preservative), squalane (from olive oil), fragrance, and love!
Other leave-ins I've used and enjoyed:
  • Bekura Nectarine Vanilla Honey Latte Detangling Milk: lovely smell, pretty moisturizing, slip was not noteworthy to me if I recall correctly; costly IMO
  • TGIN Green Tea Leave In: decent . . . I won't repurchase because the product is hard to get out of the package/bottle
  • Soultanicals Frizz Whiz Leave In (or whatever it's called): decent for me but might be spectacular for someone else
  • Qhemet Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee: slip is not noteworthy, but the ingredients are bomb; pretty moisturizing
  • Qhemet Cocoa Tree Conditioning Ghee: great detanglability; won't repurchase due to the VERY STRONG [for my nose] smell of hot cocoa

Last edited:

abioni

You are awesome @YvetteWithJoy! Thanks for the recommendations. My hair is low porosity. I currently use Shea Moisture Baobab and Tea Tree oil Low Porosity leave-in conditioner. I like it but don't care much for the smell. I haven't tried any of the ones you mentioned. I will try those that I can find locally among them first.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Kinky curly knot today is very moisturizing and smells amazing I always get compliments about the smell.
Tgin leave is nice it smells good
As I am detangling leave in
Design essentials avocado leave in
Camille rose has several nice leave ins
Mop top bamboo leave in smells nice

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship split defense cream smells like berries/flowers. You may have to order it from Amazon though.

Any of their leave ins smell great, are super moisturizing and don't cost much.

abioni

I went on Herbal Essence website to look for this. Looks like it has been discontinued. Those sold on Amazon and other sites are probably expired.

Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship split defense cream smells like berries/flowers. You may have to order it from Amazon though.

Any of their leave ins smell great, are super moisturizing and don't cost much.

Chromia

Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia Leave-In Conditioner. It's very thin and watery, not creamy like Giovanni Direct, but it's excellent for detangling & slip.

It made my hair pliable and smooth when I combed & brushed my hair while it was wet.

I had forgotten about that one because it's not sold around here and I had bought it when I was out of town. Target used to have it but I think the only places to get it online now are Karen's web site & cvs.com.

ETA: You can choose the scent you want when you order. Unscented is an option. I think I had the Pomegranate Guava, which smelled good.

Last edited:

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Not sure about slip bc I don't use it to detangle, but I really like Bioterra leave in spray (Sally Beauty Supply). Smells very good and is very nourishing for my hair. Kinda like a light spray cream. Let me know if the pic is too big, on my phone

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
I'm also low porosity.

Since you like that SM leave in, try Taliah Waajid/Black Earth Products Protective Mist Bodifier. It is slippery, moisturizing & thick like the SM detangler but smells like coconut Italian ice.

PMB costs around $8 at CVS, Sally's, Target, Walgreens & Wal-Mart.

I also use Oyin Handmade Hair Dew & Honey Hemp Conditioner
Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion & Curl Rehab
Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee & Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee
Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave in
Alaffia Everyday Shea conditioners, and all three Shea Moisture leave-in detanglers