Ok Riddle Me This..

KhandiB

I know this may be a silly question to some..

But I need clarification..

Moisture - Leave In, Water Based Moisturizer
Seal - Oils/Serums

Now, am I correct in assuming Oils/Serums wear off at some point in time during the week?? Because if not, and you use a moisturizer, it wouldnt work right??

my basic question is, if you moisturize after you seal is your point moot ??

:lol:

Tee

I dont think it's silly at all. I meant to post this same thing. Was just to lazy! But I sure was (am) curious on this.

Nigeriangurl

I've always wondered this too and I've seen the question posted at other forums with ppl usually saying that the oil will wear off enough that the moisturizer will work.

But if you're moisturizing and sealing TWICE a day, is that moisturizer really getting in? And don't serums block out moisture more than oils cuz of all the cones? :confused:

SparklingFlame

Hmmmm. Good question! :scratchch I would have to assume that if you are getting good results by moisturizing then sealing twice a day, then some of the oil must be coming off at some point during your day. I'd love to see some more insight on this too.

Sistaslick

Girl, thats not a silly question at all. It is asked alot :lol:

I agree with the others-- the seal oil creates is not permanent. I'm guessing it depends on the type of oil you use, how heavily you apply it, the style you are wearing, and the relative porosity of your hair.

The type of oil you use matters because some are heavier than others. Sealing with castor oil will probably last longer than sealing with coconut or almond oil. The amount of oil you use matters for obvious reasons, the thicker the seal the longer it will linger.

The style you are wearing matters as well. If you wear your hair bunned, your seal may last longer than if you were to wear say a braidout or something. Anything exposed to the air will dry out faster than something tucked out of sight.

Then, porous hair will not stay moisturized or sealed as long as hair that is less porous.

Since I am relaxed and color treated, my hair tends to err on the porous/dry side. This is why I usually end up moisturizing and sealing once or twice a day. There is a point though, where buildup is a factor and the hair becomes coated. I can repeat my cycle of moisturizing and sealing for about 3 days before my hair starts accumulating stuff. By day 3, my hair becomes limp and basically anything applied at this point would be useless. Moisturizers don't absorb, they just sit there. This is how I know I need to wash my hair and start all over again. Some people can moisturize and seal once and have it last for days at a time.

I can't comment on cone-a-licious serums though because I've never used any. :lol:

sassyhair

I just posted something like this under question about sealing too. I have decided to seal with an moisturizing moisturizer instead of oil or serum and I find this works better.

SparklingFlame

Sistaslick said:
Girl, thats not a silly question at all. It is asked alot :lol:

I agree with the others-- the seal oil creates is not permanent. I'm guessing it depends on the type of oil you use, how heavily you apply it, the style you are wearing, and the relative porosity of your hair.

The type of oil you use matters because some are heavier than others. Sealing with castor oil will probably last longer than sealing with coconut or almond oil. The amount of oil you use matters for obvious reasons, the thicker the seal the longer it will linger.

The style you are wearing matters as well. If you wear your hair bunned, your seal may last longer than if you were to wear say a braidout or something. Anything exposed to the air will dry out faster than something tucked out of sight.

Then, porous hair will not stay moisturized or sealed as long as hair that is less porous.

Since I am relaxed and color treated, my hair tends to err on the porous/dry side. This is why I usually end up moisturizing and sealing once or twice a day. There is a point though, where buildup is a factor and the hair becomes coated. I can repeat my cycle of moisturizing and sealing for about 3 days before my hair starts accumulating stuff. By day 3, my hair becomes limp and basically anything applied at this point would be useless. Moisturizers don't absorb, they just sit there. This is how I know I need to wash my hair and start all over again. Some people can moisturize and seal once and have it last for days at a time.

I can't comment on cone-a-licious serums though because I've never used any. :lol:
Good answer! Directly from our guru. :notworthy You know I love you right! :lol:

KhandiB

Will that work in sealing in the moisture though??

:scratchch

sassyhair said:
I just posted something like this under question about sealing too. I have decided to seal with an moisturizing moisturizer instead of oil or serum and I find this works better.

lonei

I only really use serums/oil on dry hair as mosituriser makes me frizz. I was wondering if its ok. I only put it in once a week and it stays shiny for days. I dont comb it at all during the week, I've seen no ill effects thus far...any inisght?

winterinatl

All natural!
When I wash, I use a leave in and then a serum, followed by an oil on the ends. Then, as it airdries, I will add humectress to the ends as needed, sometimes following with oil, sometimes not. The moisture does penetrate because over time the cones and oil are 1)absorberd by your hair and 2) wear off of your hair. Of course, I usually wash every 4-5 days and begin again, so I'm not sure how long it would take for the build up to occur.