Moisturizing The Hair

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I don't really add anything to my hair after wash day unless it's inversion week (once a month) then I add oil to massage some nights. Or I'm going from one style to another like a perm rod set to a bun then I'll add something to moisturize my ends. My leave in allows my hair to stay moisturized for a full week.

GGsKin

I tend moisturise my hair (with water) on wash days only. I don't use any products for this purpose. My hair is mostly fine strands and will suffer build-will up in a heartbeat. Plus, most products I've come across contain glycerin and my hair doesn't like it in a leave-in product, especially in winter.

On soaking wet hair, I use sunflower oil on ends and grapeseed/ jojoba/ wheatgerm on my length and then seal with gel (coating root to tip) for my wash and go. My hair can last a week without any additions as long as I tie it up at night.

A few days later, I might rub some jojoba oil on my hands a run them through my hair. If my hair starts looking/ feeling parched, I'll lightly wet it and (not as thorough as the initial application) smooth on some gel until I am ready to wash again.

Last edited:

AgeinATL

I infuse so much moisture into my hair on wash day that I don't really have to remoisturize my hair until about day 3. I get buildup fairly easy (I am low porosity) so I give my hair just enough moisture to keep it moisturized without causing buildup. Once I get moisture into my hair, it holds on to it pretty well.

ETA: I rarely use oils anymore to seal. I use a light butter and a heavier butter on my ends.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Beyond exposure to shower steam throughout the week, I actively moisturize on wash day only. On wash day, I try to use a great DC and layer a light and heavy leave-in on to avoid having to M&S often. I'm lazy with it and if I have to moisturize more than once a week, I'm changing something come wash day.

I used to use oils to seal but at the moment I'm loving using butters and buttery creams (with butters as the first few ingredients) that contain honey/agave/glycerin, distilled water, or aloe vera juice as the fourth and beyond ingredient. And I use the same butter on the whole length of my hair when I seal.

Last edited:

Daina

Depends on the season, in winter my hair needs more especially with all the dry heat while inside it just sucks the moisture from my hair. I moisturize and seal wash day and then 1 additional time during the week. In the summer I only do it wash day since I live in a very humid climate and my hair will hold onto water and moisture for quite a long time.

Rastafarai

Even though I'm currently in braids (my own hair), my hair is exposed to the elements. For the most part I can go without having to re-moisturize strand by strand for about five days, but I treat my hair like a plant and water it daily. I spritz my scalp and plaits and depending on flyaways, would take some oil/cream, rub in between my hands and spread throughout the hair.

Aggie

I don't moisturize my hair everyday but I may do so about 2 - 3 times a week. I mostly protective style my hair under a wig so there's no need to do so more than that I feel. I mostly moisturize at night by the way.

I live in the caribbean so I don't have winter hair care needs to worry about. The himidity here is almost always pretty high, therefore my hair thrives well with the moisture in the air and on top of that, my hair's pH is pretty normal too. Best of both worlds.

I like ceramides so yes I would usually use some type of high ceramide type oil like hemp seed oil or wheat germ oil for example, as a sealant. Sometimes I would add it to my moisturizer or leave in conditioner.

Last edited:

L.Brown1114

I moisturize and seal once a week on wash days. I don't use oil either, I seal with butter. Shea to be exact, but I'm going to experiment with avocado butter soon (heard it's a bit lighter than shea)

I have normal porosity hair and if I'm depressed I neglect the crap out of it and I've gone 4 weeks without doing ANYTHING to my hair and then I get in the shower and my hair bounces back like new. Ends in tact and everything so idk how well my advice is about M&S once a week...

Ajna

I spritz daily with a water, oil and aloe mix I make myself generally it is like twice a day
I don't use cream based leave-in's or butters between wash days it does nothing for my hair.

Misseyl

I have low porosity hair and I moisturize and seal whenever I do a twistout. Right now my twists last longer because my hair is longer so if I redo my braids every two days then that's when I moisturize and seal.:afro: