MSM hair

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
There have been many posts on MSM changing one's hair texture, either making it coarser or making it softer and wavy.

Has anyone been taking it long enough to have most of the length of their hair or all of their hair be "MSM hair"? :)
  1. If this is the case, do you notice any difference in how you care for or style your MSM hair?
  2. Do you notice a difference in the amount of body your hair has before and after taking MSM?
  3. If you are natural, can you wear the same hairstyles as before?
  4. If you are relaxed, has your time between touch-ups increased or decreased OR are you considering not relaxing anymore?

Jenai

Has anyone been taking it long enough to have most of the length of their hair or all of their hair be "MSM hair"? :)

I've been taking MSM for years due to joint pain. HTH
  1. If this is the case, do you notice any difference in how you care for or style your MSM hair? Not really. My hair feels softer and smoother to the touch.
  2. Do you notice a difference in the amount of body your hair has before and after taking MSM? Nope. Same ol' fine limp hair LOL.
  3. If you are natural, can you wear the same hairstyles as before?
  4. If you are relaxed, has your time between touch-ups increased or decreased OR are you considering not relaxing anymore? My time has increased, but I think the things I've learned on the hair board have helped mostly.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I don't know if this will help. I took msm vits and they didn't do anything for me. I started to get the msm powder and mix it in my hair conditioner, my stinky challenge mix....and what a difference in the softness of my hair and the sheen! It's just another option you can try. Whatever you do, I'm sure you will be successful.

CurlyCrly

NatrlChallenge, How long did you take the msm and how much did you take, if you can remember.

I initially took it two years ago and didn't notice any changes in growth rate or texture. I thought it was GNC brand, but now that I think about it, it was Puritan Pride. I remember getting a buy one get two free and I used it all. So, I took it for 3 months. It was the pills, but I don't remember how much I took. I started the GNC brand (1500 mg pills) in March, but switched to vitamin shoppe powder a week ago. So, I was taking the GNC pills for about 3 weeks. It's too soon to tell if there have been any changes at all. I think I'll know more around the middle of May.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I only finished 1 bottle- then I brought the msm podwer. I don't drink it, I use the powder in my conditioner and hair care products. I noticed benefits immediately after the first use. It may work differently for you, but I hope this tip helps anyone interested in the benefits of msm powder. :grin: I use a 1/2 cup per conditioner or per my stinky challenge canister and a 1/4 cup of honey. I can only say that it works great for me....if u try it, let me know if it works for u.

BAILEYSCREAM

CurlyCrly said:
There have been many posts on MSM changing one's hair texture, either making it coarser or making it softer and wavy.

I still have old hair from last year, so nope my hair is not all MSM hair. I have about 3 inches of new growth. I started taking my MSM again after I took out my braids and the roots were very thick, coarse and hard to manage (probably scab hair, who knows) and different from my normal texture.

If this is the case, do you notice any difference in how you care for or style your MSM hair?
A little easier to manage

Do you notice a difference in the amount of body your hair has before and after taking MSM?

Still has body, I have medium thick hair and it's still medium, just slightly softer.

If you are natural, can you wear the same hairstyles as before?
Texturized.

If you are relaxed, has your time between touch-ups increased or decreased OR are you considering not relaxing anymore?

I would sometimes past 8/9 weeks before touch-up but not often. I'm currently at 13 weeks post and my hair is holding up pretty well. I usually have small spirals at the back and bigger spirals at the front and the front is a lot easier to manage while at the back you can feel the spirals and they are more defined than before. They're small but better defined.

Still texturizing.

Last edited:

CurlyCrly

baileyscream,

Thanks for the in depth response.

How much longer did you think you'll be able to go without a touchup? Do you think at some point you'll stop texturizing?

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Hi, :wave:

When I used the GNC Nourishair I did notice more growth and my regrowth was softer and the texture was better. :) But it took about 3 months for the results to really show. I was very pleased.:)

BAILEYSCREAM

CurlyCrly said:
baileyscream,

Thanks for the in depth response.

How much longer did you think you'll be able to go without a touchup? Do you think at some point you'll stop texturizing?

You're welcome CurlyCrly,

Maybe I'll stop texturizing at some point. I can't really say because I've had some kind of chemical in my hair except when I was natural for about a year some years back. My hair (the little spirals) tend to twist and tangle around each other especially in the back. Texturizing just makes my life easier.:)

tanyshar

sugaplum said:
Hi, :wave:

When I used the GNC Nourishair I did notice more growth and my regrowth was softer and the texture was better. :) But it took about 3 months for the results to really show. I was very pleased.:)

Hi sugaplum,
I just started taking the GNC Nourishair 2 days ago did you take any other supplemnts that you could attribute your growth and softness to or do you give the most credit to the nourishair.
I am taking the ultra nourishair and B-complex along with a multi-vitamin. TIA

ximenia

I used to take MSM and my hair texture definitely changed. There's MSM in Qhemet products which I use now and my hair is super soft.

YummyC

I have been consistent with my vitamin intake since Jan 2005. The texture of my hair has changed. Its curled different now, I cant explain really. But before the MSM and evening primrose my curl was much tighter. I dont know which of the two is responsible though. I started them both at the same time.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
tanyshar said:
Hi sugaplum,
I just started taking the GNC Nourishair 2 days ago did you take any other supplemnts that you could attribute your growth and softness to or do you give the most credit to the nourishair.
I am taking the ultra nourishair and B-complex along with a multi-vitamin. TIA

Hi tanyshar,

I just took the GNC Ultra Noursihair and vitamin E when I noticed the results. It took about 3 months to see the new growth. I noticed that my texture was softer, smoother, and shinny.

I'm not longer on them, I've just started taking Flaxseed oil, Biotin, Centrum Multi-vitamin, and MSM. I will soon add Silica or Horsetail to my vitamin regimine. I found that ordering my vitamins from puritianspride.com was cheaper then buying the Ultra Noursihair from GNC. :yep: +

You can PM me for more info if you'd like. :)