MTG Users Please Read: MTG and Contact Dermatitis

cocoberry10

Ladies:

Below is a description of Contact dermatitis, which is like eczema (in fact, it's a temporary form of eczema. Many MTG users (including myself) have complained about dry, itchy, irritated skin. I realized that something wasn't right, and did a little investigating. Also, in addition to what's in the article below, I suggest slathering your dry areas with coconut oil, as well as melting/mixing coconut oil in your lotion. I've done this, and may I say it makes a huge difference. My normally flawless skin is coming back!

Contact dermatitis is a skin reaction that occurs after you have been exposed to a substance that either irritates your skin or triggers an allergic response. If your skin condition is caused by contact with an irritating or harsh substance, you have primary irritant contact dermatitis. If your skin condition is an allergic reaction to a substance, you have allergic contact dermatitis. The symptoms and treatment of both types of contact dermatitis are similar.

Fluid-filled bumps or blisters, tenderness and redness of the skin often occur with contact dermatitis. You may also notice oozing cracks or fissures in the reddened, irritated skin areas. Usually, these symptoms will occur only in the areas that actually came into contact with the irritant or allergen. The affected areas will probably itch and burn.

This condition is not contagious. If you and a friend handle a primary irritant, you will both get a reaction. And if a friend wears something that you are sensitive to and the two of you are in close contact, you may also develop a skin reaction. However, in neither case did you "get" the condition from your friend.

WHAT CAUSES IT?
Step one - to determine the cause of your skin reaction, do some detective work. If your rash has begun recently, it is helpful to identify what you are doing differently. Have you changed laundry detergents or bath soaps? Are you using a new kind of perfume or aftershave? Are you wearing new shoes? The most common culprits are laundry detergents, fabric softeners, perfumed soaps, perfumes, colognes, makeup, latex gloves, smoke, irritant plants (i.e., poison ivy, poison sumac, poison oak), dyes and nickel. Nickel may be used in bra stays, hairpins, eyelash curlers, eyeglass frames, necklace clasps, zippers, garter clasps, thimbles, watchbands, insecticides, fungicides, jewelry and more.

Step two - note exactly which parts of your body are involved. Foot involvement may indicate an allergy to foot powder, leather tanning agents, shoe glue, foot inserts or buckles. Earlobes are usually irritated by earrings that contain nickel. A reaction around your eyes signals a response to airborne irritants (i.e., plants, pollen, sprays), fingernail polish or cosmetics. Mouth irritations are often caused by toothpaste, lip balm or mouthwash. Your neck may be sensitive to cosmetics, perfume or aftershave (especially if you have also been exposed to sunlight). Your underarm area may be irritated by antiperspirants, deodorants, clothing or fabrics (especially wool). Detergents are often implicated if your hands are affected. If you handle oil or tars, fiberglass, rubber compounds, latex gloves, clothing dyes, chemical finishes, adhesive tape, soaps, detergents, bleaches, cleansers, acids (including vinegar and antiseptics) or metal salts, any part of your body that contacts such substances can develop a skin reaction.

Step three - if you are unable to determine which substance is causing the problem, there are two schemes that may be used to identify the source of your skin reaction. (1) You can eliminate contact with all suspected items until your rash clears. Then, you can gradually reintroduce one article at a time to test for reaction. This method reduces your risk of further irritation and allows you to determine exactly which article is at fault. (2) A second method is to have your medical practitioner do a "patch test." This test exposes small amounts of your skin to the substances suspected of causing the reaction.

This test can give fast results, but may not isolate exactly which article is causing your difficulty (i.e., a positive patch test reaction to wool may implicate a sweater that actually does not contact the skin, when the actual culprit is your underarm deodorant). Since they are not done at McKinley, patients are referred to a dermatologist or allergist for "patch tests."

WHAT CAN I DO?
The severity of your response to a substance can be worsened by several factors including: poor health, damaged skin, repeated friction of the object against your skin (i.e., performing an aerobic routine on wool carpet), perfuse perspiration, frequent exposure to the irritating agent, and the strength or potency of the substance. If you are unable to totally avoid the substance causing your reaction, changing any one of these factors may improve your condition.

However, the best treatment for contact dermatitis is to avoid the substance causing the reaction until your lesions heal and the culprit can be identified. Here are seven comfort measures that can help you feel better:

If the irritated areas itch, apply cool, damp compresses. Do not scratch them.

Avoid hot water. Decrease the number of showers and baths you take.

Avoid soaps, detergents and overheated rooms.

If dryness of your irritated areas is a problem, use a low alcohol content "unscented" emollient (i.e., Aquaphor, Eucerin, Vaseline or Acid Mantle).

DO NOT put alcohol or antiseptic lotions on your lesions.

If your medical practitioner recommends a corticosteroid cream, use only the amount prescribed (more is not better).

If your medical practitioner prescribes oral steroids (i.e., Prednisone), take your daily dose exactly as prescribed.

cocoberry10

Sidenote-- Also, the article says you can use Vaseline. Some of you may find success with that, but I would say, please don't. The vaseline only caused further dryness. Coconut oil is good, b/c it absorbs into your skin, moisturizes it, doesn't irritate it, and actually helps clear it up. Vaseline is a cheap oil, and doesn't really absorb well into our skin.

Blossssom

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this...

I wouldn't recommend Vaseline any more than I would mineral oil.

I believe petroleum and mineral oil are simply "surface cures", and they never get to the root of the problem and heal the skin.

I did tonight, as I mentioned in the other post, apply a moisturizing lotion mixed with almond oil. I feel so much better, but I have to keep using it. I will get the coconut oil and blend it in as well.

I would so hate to give up my MTG. Like the other poster, I can feel the withdrawal already.

Not to mention, I have a brand new BOTTLE! What am I supposed to do if I can't use it anymore? The stuff is not cheap. I'm going to take a break and clear my skin up first, though.

And then... go back to it... thanks again, Coco!

asummertyme

o my goodness, i was just about to post that i am gonna stop using MTG, b/c my neck is itching after using it...at first i could not figure out what is was until i stoped using it 4 a while..then reusing it and the itching restarting...i guess i will stick with WGO...ahh well..

curlyj

Hi

I use EVOO(daily) and my skin is completely back to normal...In addition to Proactiv...Vit. E oil is essential to getting YOUR SKIN BACK! On weekends I apply Vit. E and EVOO ALL DAY ON Sat. APPLY AND REAPPLY

I would also try using Oil to wash with on some mornings. This also helps....
USE LOTS OF WATER AS THIS HELPS TO REMOVE SOME OF THE OIL AND PAT DRY. It's simple, just like our hair we just have to stay in-tuned to what works and what doesnt.

MTG for me is a keeper as it allows me to gain an inch per month....And b/c I naturally have oily skin I honestly didnt mine the initial dryness.

CurlyJ

Attachments

• 8.5d.jpg
    8.5d.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 220
  • rainbow of colors.jpg
    rainbow of colors.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 220
  • poncho lhcf.jpg
    poncho lhcf.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 220
  • side lhc.jpg
    side lhc.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN1569.JPG
    DSCN1569.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 11

cocoberry10

Yeah, I just want to update. After a week of using that cream and coconut oil, my skin is completely clear. And it is soooo soft!

sfreeman11

Cocoberry, thanks so much for this post. After reading it a few weeks ago I then realized why the back of my neck was so dry and itchy. I last used MTG on 11/5 knowing I would be getting a much needed touchup on the following weekend.

I relaxed on Friday and by Monday morning, I had bumps around my hairline and the back of my neck which were oozing what I assumed was pus. Of course, my hair in those areas was stuck to my head. Warm water in the shower helped sooth the areas but also made it itch that much more. Then, when the areas dried my neck was so tight I could barely turn my head left or right without turning my entire upper body.

I tried Neosporin and then A&D Ointment which were suggested on other posts. By last Friday it had worsened enough for me to find an Urigcenter to go to on Saturday since my doctor wasn't in. She said I had a bad case of allergic dermatitis which I think was from the base my beautician used when she relaxed my hair. I had a similar reaction 2 years ago but at that time we weren't sure what had caused it. I burn easily so she's used a sensitive relaxer on me since then but I now realize that this was the same base she used when I had the problem before. NOW I KNOW. I'll see what's in that base and make sure I buy my OWN base for sensitive skin.

In the meantime, I'm on an antibiotic, Prednisone AND a topical cream. Talk about a hot mess! That's been me the past week but I'm glad to say it's almost completely cleared up. Now I just have to work on getting the skin back to it's pre-MTG condition.