My 1st setback...^%*&# Sylist!

Bella_Atl

My regular hairstylist (and friend) went out town for the holidays and I was in desperate need of a trim. So I figure I would try someone new. If I show the stylist how much length (1/4") I wanted trimmed and be stern and clear I should be good right? WRONG!:wallbash:

This hefa cut at least 2 1/2" to 3" off of my hair. I'm a little above APL now. I would take a picture but I'm too pissed right now. I will never EVER EVER EVA EVA EVA EVA (Chris Tucker) go to a stylist again!!! She cut the 1/4" and then went over the same area and cut more. It's hard for me to tell at first because I have layers. So when she is lifting and cuting layers I can't tell she's re-cutting the same layers.:nono: By the time I realize what's happening what am I to do. Be lopsided?:wallbash:

This is a setback I can live with because my hair wasn't damaged but it's been a good 15 years since I've wanted to whoop another grown woman's a$%!! I am soo through.

morehairplease

My regular hairstylist (and friend) went out town for the holidays and I was in desperate need of a trim. So I figure I would try someone new. If I show the stylist how much length (1/4") I wanted trimmed and be stern and clear I should be good right? WRONG!:wallbash:

This hefa cut at least 2 1/2" to 3" off of my hair. I'm a little above APL now. I would take a picture but I'm too pissed right now. I will never EVER EVER EVA EVA EVA EVA (Chris Tucker) go to a stylist again!!! She cut the 1/4" and then went over the same area and cut more. It's hard for me to tell at first because I have layers. So when she is lifting and cuting layers I can't tell she's re-cutting the same layers.:nono: By the time I realize what's happening what am I to do. Be lopsided?:wallbash:

This is a setback I can live with because my hair wasn't damaged but it's been a good 15 years since I've wanted to whoop another grown woman's a$%!! I am soo through.
I hate this happened to you sweetie b/c I KNOW how you feel. This past Thursday, I self relaxed and am currently in need of a light dusting of a 1/4" too and have yet to decide on where to go. I have gone in for dustings and came out with haircuts far too many times.

la mosca

Oh wow! I would be beyond angry. How did you find this new stylist?

ETA: This kind of thing has happened to me so many times. It seems like some stylists just do whatever they want to do no matter what they're asked to do. It's infuriating.

Last edited:

Love Always

I'm really sorry this happened to you because I've been there. I'm just convinced that a lot of stylist are haters :perplexed.

Lexib

So sorry that happened to you hon!! I hate to think that a grown "professional" woman could be jealous of another woman's hair but what the heck other explanation is there if she knew EXACTLY what you wanted and still went so far overboard??

Hate or Incompetence. I don't know which is scarier... :blush:

<<Hugs>>

nappystorm

Thank you. I'm just going to dust my hair myself or let my stylist/friend trim my hair. If she's not available I'll let my mother do it and if she's not available then I'll just be raggedy!
ITA. :yep: After going from BSL to a SL "trim" to having to go NL because the "trim" was jacked an uneven, I decided to take the same route.

Sorry that happened to you OP. :bighug::grouphug:Damn scissor happy stylists :mad:...

fattyfatfat

OP, do you want me to get my belt and whoop her butt for you? Just say the word cuz I'll do it.

See my siggy pic (the second one)? Thats the longest my hair has ever been and I was sooo proud of myself. I went to my stylist for a trim. This ***** witch took me to just below ear length. all I saw was RED.

never again. I know I need a trim now but I dont know where to go :(

DMJ's Mom

OOHHH!! I'm so sorry!
This same thing just happened to me. I reached APL in Sept. 2 days before DH's graduation I wanted to make sure my puff looked good. So I go to the salon and the girl showed me how much she was going to trim and it wasn't so bad I got home and looked at it. I was so heated she took me to about in inch above APL again! I'm sticking to self trims from now on!!

~VicTorIAn~

I wanted to get a professional trim to start off the new year right. I havent been to the hair dresser in 3 years. I was going to go tomorrow & my stomach has been in knots since Sunday thinking about it. After reading this thread... I'm taking it as a sign. I'll do it myself.:yep:

DarkHair

I had my setback two weeks ago. I plan to do sew-ins for the next 6 months. I was thiiiis close to APL, now I'm a bit past SL.

Minty

Something I have to constantly remind myself: always go with your first answer; but sometimes my first impression requires more patience than I might want to give and so I end up kicking myself after - every time. :sad:

This hefa cut at least 2 1/2" to 3" off of my hair. I'm a little above APL now.

Adaoba2012

I've given up on stylists all together...I don't trust them for trims, relaxers, nothin! All I have to do is learn how to do my own weaves and I'll be set! I'm sorry this happened to you :giveheart: the best thing you can do now is just learn to trim yourself...that way if anything goes wrong (and it shouldn't) you can only blame yourself. I'm sooo sorry though..If I were in ATL I'd meet yall up there with a baseball bat! :fistshake:

tricie

I'm so sorry, Bella! I had this happen, too, after showing a stylist exactly what I wanted. Some of em really just do what they wanna do.

You have some pretty hair, though, and it will grow back. Hair hugs to you!

:bighug:

Qurlyqt

Sending you a super cyber hug! I feel SO bad for you. As several have said, I've experienced the same thing. Although I cried for several days, it was one of my BEST learning experiences. Now, when I get ANY kind of flag, feeling, reservation, I don't ignore it! I know it is difficult while you are IN the situation but you have MUCH support from your LHCF family.

I haven't discounted ALL stylist but I stick with the ONE I know I can trust. And when she's not available, I take things (scissors) into my own hands. :yep:

Miss AJ

OMG!!! I didn't read anything else after my eyes went straight to "This hefa cut at least 2 1/2" to 3" off of my hair." I am so sorry this happened to you but you will get those inches back in no time and you are way better than me because I would've given her some choice words after seeing her hack job. Just out of curiosity, do you recall what condition her hair was in?

Bella_Atl

OMG!!! I didn't read anything else after my eyes went straight to "This hefa cut at least 2 1/2" to 3" off of my hair." I am so sorry this happened to you but you will get those inches back in no time and you are way better than me because I would've given her some choice words after seeing her hack job. Just out of curiosity, do you recall what condition her hair was in?

It looked like Jermain Jacksons...sideburns and all.

Love Always

WTH is it with these Atlanta stylists and these trim/cuts? I've had about 5 do the same thing:perplexed

Do they happen to be all black women :look:? I don't want to discredit black stylist as a whole because there are some good stylist but they are hard to come by. That particualar stylist that I mentioned earlier in the thread was down right scissor happy. She cut my hair from nearly bra strap to apl with layers. From that experience alone I vowed to never get my ends trimmed from a black stylist again because from my experience they either don't know how to cut/trim or cut too much. Now I go to a high end salon and an asian guy trims my hair and he does a very good job at it too! I tell him how much I want trimmed and he honors my wishes :yep:. It cost a lot more but it's worth every penny because I still have my length.

HairSupremacy

Bella, you just gave a great example why I do not visit the hair dresser anymore. You tell them to do one thing, and they do another. I've have had this happen too many times. I comtemplated going to the hair dresser for a trim, but I just might as well do it myself. I know I would do the job just as well. Going to hair dresser permanently turned me into a DIYer. I hate that happened to you, but experience teaches us many things.

nappystorm

Do they happen to be all black women :look:? I don't want to discredit black stylist as a whole because there are some good stylist but they are hard to come by. That particualar stylist that I mentioned earlier in the thread was down right scissor happy. She cut my hair from nearly bra strap to apl with layers. From that experience alone I vowed to never get my ends trimmed from a black stylist again because from my experience they either don't know how to cut/trim or cut too much. Now I go to a high end salon and an asian guy trims my hair and he does a very good job at it too! I tell him how much I want trimmed and he honors my wishes :yep:. It cost a lot more but it's worth every penny because I still have my length.
:yep: The first time this happened to me a friend (whose gf is a stylist) told me to stop going to black women to get my hair done because they are jealous and will mess me up. I :rolleyes: and simply went to different stylists. Now I see his point:perplexed

fattyfatfat

Daaag man. Im about to get trims at yt salons b/c these Domincan and AA salons have messed me up! Becky here I come.

:yep: The first time this happened to me a friend (whose gf is a stylist) told me to stop going to black women to get my hair done because they are jealous and will mess me up. I :rolleyes: and simply went to different stylists. Now I see his point:perplexed