My 4b Edges DON'T match my 3c hair!!!

Kurly K

My edges look 4b while the rest of my hair is 3c, when I wear my wash n go they dont blend with the rest of my hair and it looks funny :nono: Does anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do?? I HATE it :perplexed

I don't have the same problem.

But, how about putting some aloe vera gel mixed wth melted shea butter on the edges and holdiing it down with a headband?

I have that problem. I use Lustecurl gel. I pull my hair in a pony tail, and brush my ends with water and gel...then they blend in.

my hair is like this.what style are you trying to acheive? when wearing my hair curly it dosent bother me. when wearing a puff its noticable but I've learned ways to blend them in.

My edges look 4b while the rest of my hair is 3c, when I wear my wash n go they dont blend with the rest of my hair and it looks funny :nono: Does anyone else have this problem and if so what do you do?? I HATE it :perplexed

This is the story of MY LIFE! I think the very edge-temple area is like a 4a whereas my crown and sides are 2c/3a :nono:. They lay down well, but it looks off balance when I wash & go. Sometimes I add a little more product, and pin them underneath the rest of the hair or I all just cornrow my edges for a braided head band look. If you find any better answers please let me know:ohwell:

THIS DESCRIBES MY HAIR AS WELL!! My edges have ALWAYS BEEN PROBLEMATIC...I think they might be 4b too LOL....or at the very least 4a......b/c they do get VERY CURLY when I let my relaxer grow out.

IN FACT, WERE IT NOT FOR MY EDGES, and how tightly my 3c crown is coiled, I would not be relaxed at all!!!

M.

i have the most problems when i wash n go...when i puff or ponytail i just use mango butter and tie down for a few mins and it works wonders...kblc06 u sound just like me for now i just hide em underneath lol

Have you tried adding a lil extra product to the edges and tying a scarf on for a little while? This is what I usually have to do for the exact same reason (3c hair, 4a edges)! I'll use a lil Fantasia sealed w/JBCO smoothed on my edges, tie it down w/my satin scarf for about 15 minutes (or longer if I'm not going anywhere right away), then remove it and go about my business. It lays it down and makes it wavy so its blends better. HTH!!

Have you tried adding a lil extra product to the edges and tying a scarf on for a little while? This is what I usually have to do for the exact same reason (3c hair, 4a edges)! I'll use a lil Fantasia sealed w/JBCO smoothed on my edges, tie it down w/my satin scarf for about 15 minutes (or longer if I'm not going anywhere right away), then remove it and go about my business. It lays it down and makes it wavy so its blends better. HTH!!

thanxxx thall prolli help once it gets longer...but for now its too short and i dont use any product but condish as a leave in

you gonna have to wait until its longer. my curls are usually covering my edges when i wear it out so you cant see them. im glad im not the only one though

thanxxx thall prolli help once it gets longer...but for now its too short and i dont use any product but condish as a leave in
I see...quite often I only use conditioner on my hair as well when doing WnG's (it does vary though cuz I'm a PJ), but my edges require a lil more, especially since they don't blend as well. Just brainstorming, but what about a knee hi to smooth your edges better? It's smaller than a scarf and shouldn't mess w/the rest of your hair...just a thought :grin:.

The more I look around the more I see hair unlike mine!:perplexed I have the reverse but I know what you mean about wash and go's. My edges are 3c and as you go up to the crown it changes to 4a then the 4b crown. My wash and goes look like someone took a bite out of my head on top. The perimeter or edges are long and curly while the crown is all balled up to my head....*SIGH*. Sorry no advice, just sharing my dilemma.

I have 4b edges, also. The few times that I wore a wash and go, I made sure to wear my 3c/4a hair over my edges. My main style is a twist-out or braid-out which help to blend my edges with my other textures. If I wear a bun or ponytail, I wear a twist-out in the front only or gel down my edges on wet hair.

CIMG0590vi-vi.jpg

it doesn't show in normal pictures but heres a pic of my hair in the morning and u can see clearly dont ask what happens to me in my sleep lol btw theres a link to my fotki in my siggy where there r more pics

CIMG0590vi-vi.jpg

it doesn't show in normal pictures but heres a pic of my hair in the morning and u can see clearly dont ask what happens to me in my sleep lol btw theres a link to my fotki in my siggy where there r more pics

Oh snap!:lachen: If you think that's bad you don't want to see my head in the morning...I don't think it's that bad might wanna slick it with some aloe vera gel and keep it movin :grin:

Same here, I wore a rollerset for New Years and everyone thought I had a hair piece on cause the back of my hair was all shiny and soft but the front :nono:. Well I am about 15wks post so that only made it stand out more.

My hair is the same way. I have 4a hair along the perimeter of my head and more in the back. I use gel or avocado butter with water and a scarf.

Oh my GOD! I though I was the only one that had this... I call it "reverse baby hair." I have the kinkier 4a stuff around the front edges and the rest is mostly 3c with the odd 3b-ish patch! I have found that twist-outs on just that kinky front section helps it blend as does OD-ing on the Fantasia IC to smooth that section out. I sometimes do what I call "buddy-curling" by pushing some of my dominant texture hair forward and curling it and a piece of the kinkier hair around my finger and letting it dry undisturbed before separating it out. Hope that is helpful!

I have this problem also the first 1/2 of hair in the front is like 4a/b my hair in the crown is like 4a/b and my nape is like 3a, the rest of my hair is 3c:spinning:

have you found an answer to this, I'm having issues with my edges. My edges grow...but they shrink more than the rest of my hair, and the edges are very coarse. My nape grows but the texture is totally different. My nape is 3a, 3c, the majority of my hair is 3c-4a, and my edges are 4a, and I'm trying to soften them so they don't look fuzzy when I do wash and go's.....

I'm frustrated, I read somewhere to use a toothbrush, so I'll be buying an extra one this morning....

has anything worked for you???

ps. I love your hair color......

I have this type of hair. My mother always tells me that the nape of my hair should have been my front hairline. I am natural as well. I have tried it all but in the end, I think when it gets longer it will be easy to smooth it down. I had light breakage in the area from braiding and trying to use mild perms to smooth the hair down. It's really a challenge when styling because it's so different from the rest of my hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

My edges are fine at my temples, its above my temple before the crown on both sides that get coarse, and as I'm DC I'm starting to wonder if its heat damage. My edges are about 4inches long, so is the rest of my hair, and when I flat iron I make sure my edges are straight, so maybe this is heat damage???

This is the story of MY LIFE! I think the very edge-temple area is like a 4a whereas my crown and sides are 2c/3a :nono:. They lay down well, but it looks off balance when I wash & go. Sometimes I add a little more product, and pin them underneath the rest of the hair or I all just cornrow my edges for a braided head band look. If you find any better answers please let me know:ohwell:

I thought of you when I read the title :)

have you found an answer to this, I'm having issues with my edges. My edges grow...but they shrink more than the rest of my hair, and the edges are very coarse. My nape grows but the texture is totally different. My nape is 3a, 3c, the majority of my hair is 3c-4a, and my edges are 4a, and I'm trying to soften them so they don't look fuzzy when I do wash and go's.....

I'm frustrated, I read somewhere to use a toothbrush, so I'll be buying an extra one this morning....

has anything worked for you???

ps. I love your hair color......

thanxx yea the toothbrush and hair wax works and tying them down with a little mango butter on them works as well...but im lazy and often resort to just hiding them

It is hilarious to me how I was googling this problem and found my own response on this thread from 2009. 5 years into my hair journey, 16 weeks into my transition I am still struggling with edges that are 4b.

The crown of my hair is 3c and the back is like 3b.

Makes so much sense now that my front edges would always be so resistant and the rest will respond immediately to Whatever I do.

I fear I cannot wear a wash and go only because of my edges.

Will try to apply the tips in this thread.

I have this same problem to the point where I don't wear ponytails or top knots (unless I'm freshly relaxed) because my nape is like 4zzzzzzz! LoL! I keep that area moisturized to keep it in check. I dampen my nape (I'll skip the shower cap when I shower) and then apply a moisturizer, gel, then coconut oil and tie it down with a scarf. This smooths out all my edges, but geez I wish my hair texture was more uniform.

Back