My Bald Spot is Almost Gone!!!!

Teshila

A couple of months ago, I got cornrows at an African Braiding Salon. Well the woman who did my hair, braided them entirely too tight. I experienced bleeding from my scalp, after which it turned purple from where it was pulled too tight.

Once I took the braids out, I had a BALD SPOT in the front of my head on my hairline.
So I just started putting vitamin E (capsule) on it, and it has recovered. I am so pleased, just thought I would share.

blackhair

I am happy it turns out alright. But next time make sure you do not get them so tight. It will damage your hair.
Cheers

Teshila

Yeah, I really should have spoken up. I am kind of tender headed, so I thought it was just me, but she really did braid it too tightly. My hair growth for this time though was off the chain! I am just glad that this spot is coming back so my edges dont look jagged.

SherryLove

I am happy that youR hair grew back, and you did not suffer scalp damage..........
AND NO MORE TIGHT BRAIDS.....

Teshila

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
I am happy that youR hair grew back, and you did not suffer scalp damage..........
AND NO MORE TIGHT BRAIDS.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes ma'am. NO MORE! I was so mad at myself. But thanks to you ladies, I at least had some idea of what to do. Yeah she would braid my hair and look at me as if I were being a big baby. The lesson has definitely been learned!

amazin9

I had a similar exprience with African braiders. I did not have bleeding or anything, but my hair line was ruined! It has grow back, but I will not be returning to them ever. I should have known that something was up because most of the African women in the salon don't have ANY edges!

bitesized79

I'm glad your hair is growing back! Teshilla, how long did it take for your hair to start going back? And what type of hair regime did you use to get it growing?

Teshila

I took the braids out the second week in April after keeping them in for about 3 weeks. So it has been about 8-9 weeks and my hair is growing back. The amazing thing about it was that I had a tremendous amount of growth while I had the braids in. During that time, my hair grew at least an inch. I am used to getting maybe an inch a month if I am lucky, so this was really a great surprise. I was taking both biotin and l-cysteine at the time, so maybe that had something to do with it. As a matter of fact, I really do believe that was the cause because I just permed my hair about a month ago and I really need a perm now badly.

Bitesized, in order to get it growing, I pretty much relied on the vitamin E capsules and my supplements. At first while my hair was still in the braids, I kept putting aloe vera gel and vitamin E on my edges and scalp, so maybe that is why my scalp was not permanently damaged. I did not change very much about my regular regimen except that I was careful not to wear tight ponytails, use heat, or anything that would stress out my edges. I continue to do a weekly deep condition that has kept my hair in great shape, as well as keeping it moisturized daily with carrot oil (mainly on the ends).

happylocks

Congrads on growing back ur hair and finding something that works for u. Am using Wheat Grem oil which is rich in V.E. I will keep using it

Isis

Thanks for sharing your experience and success using vitamin E. Sometimes I forget about that supplement and how great it is, internally as well as externally.

Teva

Thanks for sharing your use of the vitamin E. I am glad that your hair grew back, that is soo important.

Now I will go out and try using the vitamin E also. Thanks again

Teva

Also thanks for reminding me of the benefits of Biotin. I have stopped taking it for about 6 months and I do notice that my hair has stopped growing as fast. I will go out today and get some.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
That is wonderful! I am glad your hair has grown back in. That's the very reason why I will be the only braider of my hair from now on!!

Teshila

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
That is wonderful! I am glad your hair has grown back in. That's the very reason why I will be the only braider of my hair from now on!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for kind words of encouragement ladies.

Lynxdiva--I use ORS hair mayo. My hair feels great after using it.

DSD--That is so true. I am starting to become very wary of stylists. No one is going to care for your hair as well as you. I wish that I knew how to braid. I have heard that there are tapes that teach you? Does anyone know of this?

beans4reezy

Thanks for posting this OP! I am trying to nurse my edges back from years of braiding. I have been applying MT to my edges with little success. I am going to try the vitamin E to see if I get better success.

Last edited:

BbJay

@ teshila & amazing9: I've been to a few african- american hair stylists who have done major damage to my hair (so frankly, I don't think ethnicity/ nationality is the issue). I've had my cornrows tight enough to some serious cause bleeding and sometime last year, I had another smear glue to my closure while I was getting a weave done.

These are supposed to be professionals that hold a license when they haven't a clue as to how to treat other people's hair.

teshila, glad your hair is growing back out :spinning:

Qetesh

wow i am sorry to hear about it but thats GREAT that you got it to grow back.

thanks for sharing. all you did was the vit E I am going to have to try this on my hair. my hairline in general is jacked up from birth and i am sick of it so hopefully somehow i can make it grow in where it doesnt.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
That's Terrible.:nono:

This girl at work had a very similar incident with braiding. She said always before her appt., they would advise her to take Advil or Tylenol?:perplexed

She said she now has permanent/irreversable follicle damage. Right now she is wearing Custom Wigs.

Personally, when they start talking "permanent" or "irreversable" anything...that's when I Counteract that Foolishness with Prayer.

Anywhoo, I am soooo thankful that you are Recovering.:yep: