My braidout looks like a jheri curl!

phynestone

Whenever I do a braidout, my hair tends to resemble a jheri curl without the drippiness factore. I don't comb out my hair with a comb or slather on a load of products. What am I doing wrong?

Ayeshia

i cant think of anything, but my hair looks like a jheri curl regardless
. what size braids are you doing?
i prefer larger braids because it gives more of a wave while smaller ones tend to look more crimpy

calbear

I actually had this same problem. I had been doing braidouts for months with no problem then (after coming here) I decided to start moisturizing my hair on a regular basis and it looked very 'jheri curlish' to me.

#1 ask your most trusted and honest friend to tell you if it really looks like a jc or are you just trippin. Trust me on this one - I asked my most trusted 'what the heck are you wearingtoday' friend and she thought I was trippin.

#2 Are you moisturizing your hair more or at all, compared to before?

#3 Have you changed your routine in any way, since you noticed the change ie conditioner washes instead of shampoo? Your hair may be just getting used to the new routine. My hair took about a week or two and then even I didn't feel like it looked like a jc

HTH

phynestone

Yes, I've changed my routine a little bit. I've started to incorporate conditioner washes, along with the use of different products. I don't flat iron my hair anymore, and I've started to use more braidouts and rollersets instead. It's also starting to get warmer here, so I guess that may be a factor.

cutebajangirl

I just did my first braidout today and I love it. I made 6 braids and rolled the ends in flexirods and let it airdry over night. You guys are not playing it looks soooo goood. 19sweetie- I washed, conditoned (all in the shower), put on a leave in. Then once it was braided I sprayed on setting lotion and rubbed a serum in my hands and smoothed it on the braids. This morning I took out the first braid and it was dry and crappy so I went and got more serum, smoothed it over the rest of the still braided hair, sprayed glosser and then took it down. You really probably don't look like you have a jheri curl.

lunalight7

My hair looks like a jc when I have a lot of new growth and I make too many small braids. Now, I just make three - - one on each side and one in the back. I'm only 3 weeks post relaxer and I like it better on straight hair.

Isis

Yes, I agree with Lunalight7. I think adjustments need to be made with the number of braids, depending if we have a lot of new growth or not. I'm still experimenting with this. I too like mine better on straight hair (I airdry-rollerset first)