Does Your Natural Hair look like a Jheri Curl

Country gal

I swear my natural hair looks like a Jheri curl. After 4 years of being natural, I finally have some length when it is wet. It stills looks a Jheri curl but without all the grease. :perplexed

zzirvingj

^I feel you. I've been told that mine looks like a Jheri curl :blush::ohwell::look:....I'm kinda insecure about wearing it out natural for that reason to be completely honest.

doriannc

yeah my hair looks like a jheri curl when I wear my hair out. I'm not really diggin it. I'm tryin g to grow my hair out, but it is really hard. Because of it, I think about getting a relaxer more and more.

Country gal

I need to take a pic so I can show you. In the mean time check out my fotki.

Last edited:

diva24

When I was natural, I was asked if I had a texturizer and also a different person asked what brand of activator I used. I also wore my hair straight for a while after both occasions. I was embarrassed to have someone think I would get a jherri curl. How outdated.

Just my opinions. Sorry if anyone who wear a jherri curl is offended.

Last edited:

growth2come

Maybe a very dry one. Someone did ask me if I had a wave nuevou. I was mad as heck.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Is that the new name for it?....I will know next time to say..."no darling...its wave nuevou" while trying to flick my hair as I walk away...:lachen::lachen:

Ozma

I was asked if I had a jherri curl by an ex-coworker, but it turns out that she was just a hateful b****.
I digress...jherri curls were intended to imitate natural curls with that "wet" look, so we take it as an insult because of the "Soul Glo" image.
I admit I worry about it sometimes, too.

IrisDaVirus

My natural hair doesn't but my texturized hair sure as hell did. That was one of the big factors in my decision to go natural again. In hindsight I'm glad I did because my natural hair looks way better without a texturizer.

ladytee2

Yes I always felt my hair looks like a jheri curl wet. And everytime I wash my hair my husbands makse a soul glow joke. Since coming to LHCF I have come to except my hair just as it is. I actually like it better than the birds nest I end up with a few days after straightening.

diva24

I think its embarrassing for any type of hair to be confused with what it is really not. I feel the same type of embarrassment when someone asks me if I am wearing a weave.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
sometimes it did. i would dread when i knew i had to leave the house with my twa still wet. then folks would start with those lame jheri cul jokes, or kit jokes.

CarolinaGal

Yes! I used to be self-conscious about it, but now I just go with it. My brother used to follow me around singing "drip, drip, drip." :lachen::lachen::lachen: I love my big brother. He's so funny! :grin:

Vonnieluvs08

I think when I first cut my hair it looked like a Jheri Curl. Now that its grown out a little and I got rid of some of the looser curls (heat damage) it doesn't look like it as much esp since my hair is very coil/spirals vs. the more loose curls (no offense). I've learned that most ppl in my area don't comment on hair one way or the other many of them are wp so they don't know what to say anyhow.

I would hope ppl wouldn't think that lovely women of this era would really walk around rocking a Jheri Curl from the 80s unless it was Halloween.

Last edited:

Titansgirl

My SO is forever sayig that my hair looks like a jheri curl. I really like my natural hair; so, I just smile and agree......

BostonMaria

If I don't wear the right products, yes I do look like I have a jherri curl. Not a good look! But its nothing a scrunchie can't fix, thank God.