Does Your Natural Hair look like a Jheri Curl

PerplexingComplex

You know there is a stigma about jheri curls. When someone says it I think of Coming to America, In Living Color and the Straight out of Compton video.

It just feels so '80's/90's. Most people are asking in an insulting way anyway.

Maybe it's because I wasn't around when the Jheri curl was in full force. I didn't know it was that serious to some people.

ETA: When I first think Jheri curl I think of a specific curl pattern.

Last edited:

Geminigirl

WOW I was wondering if my KCCC was giving me the Jherri look. No one says anything. Besides I like it. When it has that wet shine look that when I am getting the most defintion.

My dad did tell me the other day that my son was looking "Jherri-licious" when I wasn't braiding his hair. I would just let him rock his coily/curly fro. Shoot I thought it was cute. Now I keep it braided.

JJamiah

I have been compared to Rick James, sung Jackson 5 songs while another commented on how Randy's Jheri Curl never looked right :perplexed:, and giggled about Coming to Americas family of The Juice! While one said they don't like my hair and the other said I love it!

Wigging it for a minute, I liked my last wash n go. I despise Kinky Kurly Custard and Beautiful Textures Curly defining Pudding but will use it up and not repurchase.

Last edited:

iri9109

when i 1st met my now bestie she asked me what kind of jheri curl i had lol...actually numerous ppl asked/accused me of having a s-curl/texturizer when i did my big chop...i hated it then, and i hate it now, which is why i rarely wear my wash & go's down until my hair is atleast 90% dry, and am starting to prefer twist/braidouts more and more...wet cat/soul glo looking hair is not the bizness...

Anakinsmomma

Country gal said:
I swear my natural hair looks like a Jheri curl. After 4 years of being natural, I finally have some length when it is wet. It stills looks a Jheri curl but without all the grease. :perplexed

Yea, especially when it's a still wet wash and go....

jprayze

Thought I would join in...I like to do twist and braid outs to change the texture up a bit.

Still damp with a but of leave in

image-2359886705.jpg

image-3562099898.jpg

Ms_Whit

It depends on the product. The first time I visited my mother with my natural hair, she mentioned jheri curl :perplexed That prompted me to not to use KCCC again but I still use the KCKT for wash and gos sometime.

Also when my hair hasn't dried when I shingle with gel it will look jheri curlish but thats fine with me!

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Back when I was natural, KCCC definitely gave me a Jherri curl look whenever I used it. It's one of the many reasons I stopped using the product.

CaliiSwagg

when i 1st met my now bestie she asked me what kind of jheri curl i had lol...actually numerous ppl asked/accused me of having a s-curl/texturizer when i did my big chop...i hated it then, and i hate it now, which is why i rarely wear my wash & go's down until my hair is atleast 90% dry, and am starting to prefer twist/braidouts more and more...wet cat/soul glo looking hair is not the bizness...

Same for me! Nobody has ever flat out asked me if I have a jheri curl, but I have had numerous people ask me if I have a "kit" in my head:lol:

Or how do I get my waves/curls like that ect.

LimitedEdition

It depends on the amount and type of product I use. Gels give me the "juice" look but the most control. I actually like it when my hair isn't as defined as it is with gel however thats when it tangles the most. Its a catch 22.

Aviah

Yeah, when wet. Not so much when it was shorter though. I tend to not do WnGs too much any more, as I use conditioner for hold.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
bump because in looking up Scurl which Chicoro posted about here, I found out about Jheri curl with images in google search of MJ...and realized this is what they meant when people said I look like Michael Jackson, back when my hair was longer :lol:
I thought it was only because of my makeup.

I'm posting a pic, even though I don't normally post face, because it's too funny all combined (makeup + hair) now I see what they mean. Didn't know about MJ's music or anything, back then, just vague memory of his overall look later in life from newspapers showing pics of him after his death.

:laugh: