My Chewed Up Edges - In Desperate Need Of Help

Vintageglam

Thanks Sistaslick for the explanation. I have a similar problem, except curiously, the very top of the hairline on the right side which had producedno hair for several years is having growth again(not fine baby hairs but strong dark crinkly hairs), and the hairloss is sort of migrating inwards, so that there is a sort of o, with hair at the boundaries of the o, and completely bald spots in the middle. I will try to find a doctor who can tell me what is wrong.

Kbragg, Positivelyradiant , and any other ladiesaffected by these same issues, staystrong.Knowing exactly what is wrong is winning half the battle. I pray we find out....

I know exactly what you are talking about here;

Basically I suspect you took pressure off the extremities of you hair and started putting pressure on your "new" hairline, hence the balding in the middle. My advice go and see a Doctor ASAP as this means some of your follicles are still salvageable.

Geminigirl

I fell your pain OP. I can't get my edges to grow back to save my life. As soon as I can I am going to the doc as suggested in this post.

naturalgyrl5199

I have some thinning around my temples...Its not as bad as some of what I see here but I looked at some of my BC photos and noticed my temples were fuller, but still thinner....It also compelled me to look at my mother and sister's hairline and noticed some thinner edges too. Mom has dreads and my sis is natural....she never wears ponys.

I think my temples started thinning out with the braids over time when I was doing crown and glory on and off for 18 months.....Though there appears to be some genetics into play with the way my hairline is at the temples....I'd like to see it look like it did when I BC'd.....I will try the ORS temple balm and e/o combo and see if there is a difference!

Good luck ladies!

cmw45

Is it genetic? I mean...the hair around the entire line (including the inside of the "U") looks like it is the baby hair texture. Like, not like it's broken off hair that should be long. I mean...is that just your hairline or has it been different in the past?

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

KBragg, have you considered cortisone injections? I am going to the derm to get them tomorrow.

I'll post updates in the survivor's thread.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, I, too have gone that road before and am still on a mission to fully reclaim my hairline.

gorgeoushair

Well there are whole industries trying to figure out how to reverse miniaturization- permanently anyway. LOL! There's the old active ingredient minoxidil which has quite a bit of literature on it. It can enlarge follicles so that they produce terminal hair again-- but once you stop taking it, the follicle will shrink once more and the hair will fall.

Heeeyyyy Sista,

Glad to see ya:grin: How ya been? Missed u girl.

Sistaslick

Thanks Sistaslick for the explanation. I have a similar problem, except curiously, the very top of the hairline on the right side which had producedno hair for several years is having growth again(not fine baby hairs but strong dark crinkly hairs), and the hairloss is sort of migrating inwards, so that there is a sort of o, with hair at the boundaries of the o, and completely bald spots in the middle. I will try to find a doctor who can tell me what is wrong.

Kbragg, Positivelyradiant , and any other ladiesaffected by these same issues, staystrong.Knowing exactly what is wrong is winning half the battle. I pray we find out....

That regrowth is very promising, ajoke. Everyone else, please be encouraged and try to see a good dermatologist when you can. They can perform scalp analyses to see if your follicles and other structures (sebaceous glands) etc are damaged-- and the degree to which the damage has occurred. Some of it can be reversed if caught early. Diagnosing the cause is very very important. I know alot of us are kitchenticians around here- but this is an area where knowing potential medical reasons for hair changes is important. :yep:

asakeba

I don't see a problem with your edges..... Not everyone has a thick hairline. Even as a child i had thin edges so I dont stress myself worrying about it. I'd rather have a hairline that looks like yours rather than one of those LF wig looking hairlines.

Any updates kbragg?

I feel your pain about the hairline thankfully mine has been growing back thanks to my MT mix!

Side Note- I can't believe how far along you are with your pregnancy! I've been watching your ticker :yep:

kinkylove

Your hairline don't look that bad to me.

But let me just say, I know it's "first natural then spiritual" but when I was dealing with bald spots (for YEARS) and couldn't figure out how to change the situation, I laid hands on my head, started confessing the Word of God over myself, and spoke homemade declarations until my hair condition changed.

Definitely go see a doctor if you choose (that's what I had to do), and I don't know your faith, but commanding growth has always worked for me ALONG with natural efforts on my part.

God is SO into doing stuff that will bring him glory, no matter how "minimal" the situation may seem.

phyl73

This happened to me in my last pregnancy. Child number four. The closer I got to my due date, the finer the hairline became. I was relaxed then and would have the keep my hair styled towards my face to hide it. Once I found the forum, it took about three months to get it to start growing again. Now I'm 100% natural and this has helped more than I could ever put into words.

kbragg

Thanks ladies!:bighug: I looked at old pics of me as well as looking at my kiddo's hairlines and realized this is just how my hair grows. I've noticed further into my transition that the temples are thickening nicely. I have a few little coils growing in but for the most part it's still baby hairs. I looked at pics of other women's hairlines and noticed a lot of ladies hair grows this way so I'm not going to stress about it, just continue to care for my hair as I transition.

Right no I have a set of kinky twists in that I'll keep until Thanksgiving. I'll wear my hair loose (but straightened as wearing the two textured unstretched is immediate breakage) for a couple weeks then I'll be putting in some crochet braids (haven't decided on the hair yet; probably the Freetress water wave though I'd prefer something kinkier) a few days before my c-section! I'm so excited to have just a month to go!!!! I'll post some update pics in a sec....

kbragg

Yes I'm covering my face because I don't feel pretty:lol:

Front hairline:

Left side (you can tell this is the side I sleep on):

Right side:

My hair is growing out very fast in this style too. I thinking I've had it in for like 3-4 weeks now and already have tons of new growth!

ETA: Yes I'm ashy, forgive me:lol:

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

Kbragg, I have the same exact hairline pattern. This caused me soooo much stress.

But, I am extremely gentle and follow a healthy, consistent regimen. After a while, I have realized its my natural growth pattern. It used to be considerably thicker as a child, but I think with age, its just a normal thing for me. So as long as I stay on top of my game, I'm learning to just live with it and keep it moving.

In your pics, your edges look healthy and thick. Good luck with your delivery!