My Chewed Up Edges - In Desperate Need Of Help

kbragg

:nono: I don't get it. I've been a member here for years and can find threads from back in 2006 where I am complaining about my edges. I've tried growth aid, I keep moisture up, almost never use heat, when I bun I wear loose buns. The few times I've worn braids, I didn't braid the edges and wore them down (no tight pony tails. I moisturize, I protein, I've researched and done everything I'm supposed to do, yet my temples look like this:

:nono: I just want to cry:cry4: I'm afraid I'm going to end up looking like a middle aged man. Where is my hair disappearing to? What's the point of length if I can't even wear a respectable pony tail without looking like Naomi Campbell?:nono:

I honestly don't know how to wear my hair anymore. I have it in a loose french braid right now because DS ruined my braid out lol. I'm afraid to PS because cornrow, braids, buns etc just seem to worsen the problem. I have not had a relaxer in months. This is a fairly new problem because I honestly don't remember being practically bald at the temple area even during my worse hair care days (grease and heat daily, perms every 4 weeks:nono:)

Has anyone ever recovered from an problem like this? Am I doomed? I just want to shave it bald at this point but DH said to not do it ever:lol:

:help:

kizzylonghair

Hi Girl,

Maybe its time to visit your doctor there may be underline problem as you sound as though you are doing all you can. I have thinning hair on one side and it was because I was wrapping my hair on the same side, which is easy tp correct
Keep your head up :wiggle:
I am sure the girls will chime in anytime soon with more advice

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Sorry this is happening to you :bighug: Maybe your edges can't take relaxers at all? I don't know if you're willing to go natural, but sometimes if you've been trying everything for years with no progress, then it may be the only solution to get your edges back. I would also visit with your physician to see whether or not it may be a scalp or internal problem that is causing your edges to thin.

MonPetite

I agree with seeing a physician.

Also, what do you wrap your hair at night with? Bonnets and scarves can rub away edges over time.

You may want to look at your facial cleanser as well. Over time our hairlines get exposed to our cleansers and facial products that may dry out sensitive areas like temples.

I'm praying you find the culprit. Take courage, dear heart!

ms.blue

I know this sounds silly but look at pictures when you were younger like at age five to see if your edges/ temples were thin/fine because it may had always been light/fine but now notice it more b/c you are taking care of your hair now. I did this b/c I stay complaining about my temples being light but I looked at my hair when I was younger before relaxing and realized my temples were never thick and pretty much look like what I have right now (the left side I believe is slightly damaged). HTH

Last edited:
:nono: I don't get it. I've been a member here for years and can find threads from back in 2006 where I am complaining about my edges. I've tried growth aid, I keep moisture up, almost never use heat, when I bun I wear loose buns. The few times I've worn braids, I didn't braid the edges and wore them down (no tight pony tails. I moisturize, I protein, I've researched and done everything I'm supposed to do, yet my temples look like this:

:nono: I just want to cry:cry4: I'm afraid I'm going to end up looking like a middle aged man. Where is my hair disappearing to? What's the point of length if I can't even wear a respectable pony tail without looking like Naomi Campbell?:nono:

I honestly don't know how to wear my hair anymore. I have it in a loose french braid right now because DS ruined my braid out lol. I'm afraid to PS because cornrow, braids, buns etc just seem to worsen the problem. I have not had a relaxer in months. This is a fairly new problem because I honestly don't remember being practically bald at the temple area even during my worse hair care days (grease and heat daily, perms every 4 weeks:nono:)

Has anyone ever recovered from an problem like this? Am I doomed? I just want to shave it bald at this point but DH said to not do it ever:lol:

:help:

Hello KBragg :hiya:
I looked at your pics and I'm thinking to myself, what is she talking about?? Your hairline appears very soft, pretty and normal to me. Imho, your edges don't look to me as bad as you described. Around here, I've seen some extremely thin, destroyed, and sometimes completely BALD edges walking around here with weird color weaves looking like a cracked out rainbow brite doll. And the worse thing is, you can't tell those ladies nothin cause in their mind, they're God's gift! :lachen:(and I mean the hairline is destroyed beyond repair and the majority of hairlines begins at least an inchor more behind the ears on both yt and black women) So please don't be too hard on yourself. You are nowhere close to having a busted hairline. :nono: :nono:

Obtw, it brings tears to my eyes to see small children (from ages 2 to 10 years) having no hair line and a ton of weave on their head. No child should be wearing extensions/weaves at such a tender age :nono:

BlackMasterPiece

Did you previously have considerable hair there? Do you use brushes? Do you tie your nighttime scarves tightly or wear wig caps?

Well you definitely have to let it rest. I would say you may want to consider not using relaxers for a long while untill they start to make a marked comeback. I would say be very gentle with them and try essential oil therapy, castor oil or a consistent growth aid regimen for it.

ms.blue

Obtw, it brings tears to my eyes to see small children (from ages 2 to 10 years) having no hair line and a ton of weave on their head. No child should be wearing extensions/weaves at such a tender age :nono:

I also can't stand seeing that

kbragg

Thanks for the encouragement ladies:bighug:

To answer your questions:

I don't tie my hair up at night. I felt like the scarves and bonnets would do more harm than good so I sleep on a satin pillowcase instead.

I have not had a relaxer since February. Before that I was natural for well over a year and had the same issue with my temples.

As a child and even a few years ago I had a fuller hairline. Even when I died it blonde and wore microbraids (terrible I know:nono:) it was never like this. It seems like the more I do right by my hair the worse it gets:( I am transitioning now.

I don't use cleansers on my face, just natural MSM soap. No chemicals and my skin loves it.:yep:

I rarely use brushes and when I do very lightly and boar bristle only.

I just want to burst into tears right now because I don't know what to do with my hair. Can't bun, can' phony pony, can't relax, and it looks horrible down because of the two textures (thick fully roots, limp wispy relaxed ends). I've been thinking maybe a half wig (I tried a full wig and I hated it, it was so dang hot under there!) worn back on the crown area with a silk scarf but I dunno if that would hurt my hair line or let it rest. I just knowI can't walk out of the house looking like this:nono:

BlackMasterPiece

Maybe you should start wearing satin scarves but loosely?:ohwell:

Also there are so many nice transitioning styles maybe a flexi rod set could do the trick? You should maybe try some castor oil.

You also might want to consider leaving the relaxers alone for good......just a thought.

kbragg

Maybe you should start wearing satin scarves but loosely?:ohwell:

Also there are so many nice transitioning styles maybe a flexi rod set could do the trick? You should maybe try some castor oil.

You also might want to consider leaving the relaxers alone for good......just a thought.

Can you just move to Texas and do my hair?:bighug: I ain't got money but I can cook:lol:

I have never tried a flexirod set, Is that what you have in the first pic in your siggy?

ETA: Oh I had every intention of not relaxing, I had a TWA at the time lots of ssk's AND post partum shedding going on all at the same time. I bought what I thought was a "texture softener" that was supposed to help with the ssk's and that sucka left me bone straight:cry4: I've relaxed 3 times since then in frustration but began re-transitioning back in Jan/Feb.

Last edited:

ajoke

Bumping for you and hoping we both get answers.
Seriously though, I am thinking post partum stress might have something to do with the worsening of my situation. I have been sleeping really badly for almost two years.....

I called a friend of mine in Lithonia, Ga and she strongly recommended something called Groganics.

And I agree w/the other posters. Please seek a medical professional to find out what is the underlying problem. Hoping it's something a little R&R, time and TLC can take care of. :yep: :yep:

afrocentric_soul

I'm relaxed and I am not ready to completely give up relaxers, so I can understand if that is not the route you want to go. One thing that I do for my edges near my temples is I don't relax them hardly ever. Edges are so sensitive and usually the straightest part of my hair naturally, so I don't put the chemical on them and I am careful to tie my satin wrap across my forehead and ears so that it is not resting on my hairline. I hope this helps a little.

Bublin

I too have been moaning and groaning about my hairline breaking and have been searching for a protective style that wouldn't put strain on my hairline but at the same time would look nice.

Well today i found this video on youtube and i tried the style just a few hours ago and think its a keeper for me. My hair is alot longer than her's but i have to say i think i look great and my hairline is fully protected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8vEP2PcSt4&feature=channel

Let me know what you think.

Sistaslick

Hey Kbragg!

I agree it may be time to see a doctor to check for underlying medical issues. Also, if your edges have been like this despite a few years of constant care and very low tension, I'm wondering if you might be dealing with a mild traction alopecia here. The hair loss from that is usually very gradual- and your hair loss appears to be mirrored (on each side). But your case is also complicated by the fact that its on the hairline-- and most people have finer/thinner hair there anyway.

But I do see what you are talking about. I'm looking at the pattern of remaining hair. There looks to be 3 distinct areas of density at your hairline. A small area in the very front where there is little to no growth-- likely completely miniaturized follicles, a semi-circular area around it with better growth- but also affected follicles, and then the main part where your hair fills in thickly after that which is unaffected. Healthy follicles produce thick, dark terminal hairs. Miniaturized follicles are usually scarred and produce a finer type of hair-- this is a phase in the alopecia process. If tension continues after the follicle has started producing this kind of hair, then complete hair loss will occur and the follicle will stop producing. Once this happens, no hair can grow there ever. :ohwell: It looks like the kind of traction alopecia you'd get from a ponytail or pulling the hair back from the face-- rather than the kind you'd get from braids or micros. That kind of hairloss (ponytail kind) is usually greatest at the front then tapers toward the back as tension to the pony decreases.

If its truly a mild alopecia-- you'll still have to work around the temple patches whether you relax or transition. Transitioning however, will help you disguise it considerably.

Do you have any soreness to the temple area? If you closely examine the scalp is it drier/scaly there? Do you have any before and after temple shots?

Last edited:

Vintageglam

Thankyou so much Sistaslick for this explanation. You have described exactly my problem.

If say the follicles had minaturized what solutions are there?

TIA

Stella x

Hey Kbragg!

I agree it may be time to see a doctor to check for underlying medical issues. Also, if your edges have been like this despite a few years of constant care and very low tension, I'm wondering if you might be dealing with a mild traction alopecia here. The hair loss from that is usually very gradual- and your hair loss appears to be mirrored (on each side). But your case is also complicated by the fact that its on the hairline-- and most people have finer/thinner hair there anyway.

But I do see what you are talking about. I'm looking at the pattern of remaining hair. There looks to be 3 distint areas of density at your hairline. A small area in the very front where there is little to no growth-- likely completely miniaturized follicles, a semi-circular area around it with better growth- but also affected follicles, and then the main part where your hair fills in thickly after that which is unaffected. Healthy follicles produce thick, dark terminal hairs. Miniaturized follicles are usually scarred and produce a finer type of hair-- this is a phase in the alopecia process. If tension continues after the follicle has started producing this kind of hair, then complete hair loss will occur and the follicle will stop producing. Once this happens, no hair can grow there ever. :ohwell: It looks like the kind of traction alopecia you'd get from a ponytail or pulling the hair back from the face-- rather than the kind you'd get from braids or micros. That kind of hairloss is usually greatest at the front then tapers toward the back as tension to the pony decreases.

If its truly a mild alopecia-- you'll still have to work around the temple patches whether you relax or transition. Transitioning however, will help you disguise it considerably.

Do you have any soreness to the temple area? If you closely examine the scalp is it drier/scaly there? Do you have any before and after temple shots?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I had the same problem until I used castor oil on my edges before tying up my hair. I did this when I was relaxed and my edges grew back wonderfully.:yep:

BlackMasterPiece

Can you just move to Texas and do my hair?:bighug: I ain't got money but I can cook:lol:
Awe:hug2: Too bad you don't live in the tri-state....I'd hook it up for you no problem....thats okay you have youtube and fotki for transitioning style ideas:yep:

I have never tried a flexirod set, Is that what you have in the first pic in your siggy?
Close, what I have in the 1st pic of my siggy is a straw set.....with actual straws....but it can be achieved with flexi-rods as well. Flexi rods are those soft bendable rods you use to do a curly set.

ETA: Oh I had every intention of not relaxing, I had a TWA at the time lots of ssk's AND post partum shedding going on all at the same time. I bought what I thought was a "texture softener" that was supposed to help with the ssk's and that sucka left me bone straight:cry4: I've relaxed 3 times since then in frustration but began re-transitioning back in Jan/Feb.
Well hopefully this times the charm:yep:

kbragg

@ Sistaslick, I don't have any pics specifically but I was looking at my 2007 weight loss photos (I didn't even recognize myself:thud:) and noticed I had that same kinda look though not as thin. Then again that area always looked better relaxed as the short hairs layed down flat so maybe I never noticed before.

I am guilty of tight wet buns and pony tails now that I think on it but have been getting out of that habit, maybe a little too late??? I hope not.

No itching, scaling, or dryness at all. Is that a good thing?:pray:

ms.tatiana

I can't call it, my sides are worst tho. I have hair then, a bald line then, my hair starts again. My boyfriend looked at me this morning and was like "Is you hair falling out look like you have an egde up on the side", of course I was mad, but there's nothing I could say because I can't get my hair to grow on the sides. I'm currently wearing my hair in a ponytail (no tight at all) and applying Mega-tek, JBCO, & Dr.Miracles oil.

I understand where your coming from whats the point of having length with no edges. In March I went and had bangs cut in the front of my hair so I could wear my ponytail and have my sides not showing at all.

Sistaslick

Thankyou so much Sistaslick for this explanation. You have described exactly my problem.

If say the follicles had minaturized what solutions are there?

TIA

Stella x

Well there are whole industries trying to figure out how to reverse miniaturization- permanently anyway. LOL! There's the old active ingredient minoxidil which has quite a bit of literature on it. It can enlarge follicles so that they produce terminal hair again-- but once you stop taking it, the follicle will shrink once more and the hair will fall.

ajoke

Thanks Sistaslick for the explanation. I have a similar problem, except curiously, the very top of the hairline on the right side which had producedno hair for several years is having growth again(not fine baby hairs but strong dark crinkly hairs), and the hairloss is sort of migrating inwards, so that there is a sort of o, with hair at the boundaries of the o, and completely bald spots in the middle. I will try to find a doctor who can tell me what is wrong.

Kbragg, Positivelyradiant , and any other ladiesaffected by these same issues, staystrong.Knowing exactly what is wrong is winning half the battle. I pray we find out....

ajoke

I can't call it, my sides are worst tho. I have hair then, a bald line then, my hair starts again. My boyfriend looked at me this morning and was like "Is you hair falling out look like you have an egde up on the side", of course I was mad, but there's nothing I could say because I can't get my hair to grow on the sides. I'm currently wearing my hair in a ponytail (no tight at all) and applying Mega-tek, JBCO, & Dr.Miracles oil.

I understand where your coming from whats the point of having length with no edges. In March I went and had bangs cut in the front of my hair so I could wear my ponytail and have my sides not showing at all.

This is exactly what my hair would look like if relaxed(on the right side at least) except I am no where near apl:lachen:

Kbragg, thanks for posting this. (((Big Hugs))) I feel your pain. I just took out my braids and I have a pattern that mirrors yours. I am shocked and horrified b/c I thought that I was really doing someting by PSing my hair for 2 months. Instead I find that my hair is broken off in the front.

My plan of attack is to use castor oil (JBCO) and vitamin E to get the edges to grow back. Perhaps you can try that, but one thing that I do know for sure is that you have to be very careful not to stress that area out. Although, it sounds like you are doing all that you can do. Please go and see a doctor to discuss what maybe going on.:grouphug2:

BGT

Actually, I do have advice. :lol: My edges started breaking when I was wearing ponytails everyday. Even the hair behind my ear. Once I started wearing it down, the hair grew back. I don't have pics but two years ago, that edge hair was no more than 1/2" long. Now it's 5" :yep: You obviously work out a lot. Maybe it's the constant bunning and wearing ponytails.

hair4romheaven

a wig rubbed my egdes away and I didn't notice it until i straightened my hair. I have been using ORS temple balm and sulu max and there is hair growing where the spot was smooth. The skin feels different it was smooth now it feels different in a good way. It has been three weeks of applying faithfully 2x a day.

Ishtar

I'm going through this too. I think it may be the cap I use at night but because of my family history with thinning of hair this upsets me. I hope these ladies will help you solve your problem. Maybe I can learn something from this.

Ishtar

Oh. I just look at the zoomed in pictures. I can almost say with certainty that it is not Alopecia. It looks like something stressed out that area.

I'm not a doctor so you will still have to seek information but it doesn't look like the same pattern. A. is very, very gradual. Even though the hair could be very fine or nonexistent the hairs are pretty evenly spaced. Yours doesn't look that way. You have a few patches.